BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Goals For - 17th
Goals Against - 30th
5-on-5: 28th

PP: 2nd
PK: 16th
Faceoffs: 3rd

Those two stats are the hardest to swallow. When we had the run of 3 consecutive playoff berths, we were always in the top 10 of 5v5. Let's face it, that's what about 80-90% of the game is played at, and we won't be successful there.

Honestly, we need to change our name to the Arizona Jellyfish. We have no spine right now. No pushback. No setting the tone. There are bad games that happen, but even then, you can tell the difference between a bad game that got out of hand even though the players played hard, and a bad game that got out of hand b/c players looked like they gave up. If we got into that line brawl that Anaheim and San Jose had (hypothetically), I don't even care about who would or how the player would fight, I just feel like we would be out-toughed. It's like we lost the resilience that we had built to. Maybe ownership was the worst thing that happened, b/c everyone became a little "safer."

We are a team that overdramatizes the hype too much. Players like OEL and Yandle wind up having gaffes b/c they buy into this idea that they need to make plays all the time to kickstart the offense. Half the time, we just need them to make the solid, if unspectacular plays, and the rest will take care of itself.

Also, in terms of the type of captain we need to have - we have been incredibly lucky with Doan. But the writing is on the wall - he can't always be the guy who says the right thing at the right time, is brutally honest in the locker room, etc. But no one else has necessarily shown that they can be the captain. Marty has been talked about, but I don't know how much leadership presence he has in the lokcer room. Yandle has been mentioned, but it would seem odd to give the captaincy to someone who can make glaring errors, regardless of how many points he scores. Sometimes the top point producer doesn't require being a captain. OEL is headed down the path of glaring mistakes when the captain, by and large, should be the most consistent player game-to-game. The rest of the team are followers, who expect someone else to do something first, rather than taking it upon themselves. It's a habit we have to get out of if we expect to compete...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why would most posters on this board want Tip fired? The plan is to tank, right, and since Tip is a bad coach, lets keep him, so we tank more. And, we would be a better team with all the kids from the AHL up, so lets keep them down, play Chip/Klink/Moss, so we suck more. Lets fire DM too, because he sucks as a GM. I'm with you guys, forget the Detroit model, lets go all in on the Edmonton model! Makes sense to me :) Then we can draft a shiny new toy, that will fix everything, just ask MacT.

From the roster thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
I'm not sure that's "the Detroit model" as much as it's common sense. Noone was asking to put a bunch of 18 or 19 year olds on the roster. I did think Domi deserved a look, but was perfectly okay with the decision to send him back.

Stevie Y's version of the "Detroit model" has nine forwards 25 or under on his roster right now. Four of those are 22 or younger. Of their five top scorers in the preseason, four of the five are on the roster, including the 22 year old and two 21 year olds. They are 3-2-1 on the season.

We have three forwards who are 25 or younger (Gagner, 25, Boedker, 24, and MacMillan, 24), and none (zero, nil, zip) under 24. I don't think a Lessio (21), or Hodgman (26), or Rieder (21) would have sent us over the "Detroit model" barrier of success according to Yzerman's interpretation.

By the way, the Detroit Red Wings roster features seven forwards 25 or younger. Four of them are under 24. They are 3-1-1. You guys should call up Holland and Babcock and tell them they're doing it wrong.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/ne...ply&p=91223031

Go ahead and read that sucker, and come back with the "Edmonton model" routine. Let's see how it plays.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Goal scorers last night in NHL:
Radko Gudas (24)
Kucherov x3 (21)

In addition these guys all had at least one point who were 25 or under:
Tyler Johnson
Killorn
Palat
Stamkos
Suster
JT Brown

Someone had better tell Stevie Y that he is ruining those kids, and that his roster would be more successful with more David Moss types.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Why would most posters on this board want Tip fired? The plan is to tank, right, and since Tip is a bad coach, lets keep him, so we tank more. And, we would be a better team with all the kids from the AHL up, so lets keep them down, play Chip/Klink/Moss, so we suck more. Lets fire DM too, because he sucks as a GM. I'm with you guys, forget the Detroit model, lets go all in on the Edmonton model! Makes sense to me :) Then we can draft a shiny new toy, that will fix everything, just ask MacT.

Edmonton has five forwards 25 or under, and they are 4-4-1 and ahead of us (3-4-1) in the standings. They also have young skill players we could only hope to have. As great as our development scheme is and our reliance on two fourth lines, we are worse than the Oilers now. Things are so consistently mediocre, stagnant, and bad that I would prefer the "Edmonton model" at this moment.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
We've got to do something about the defense. Most of the good teams have treated us like Swiss cheese.

I don't know what is going on with OEL...Z looks terrible, and yesterday was probably Murphy's worst day as a pro.

You may have stumbled upon it. Maybe OEL of Sweden is branching out into the cheese business. OEL wants to get rid of Yancey's Fancy. A Swiss cheese defensive corps is just the advertising bonanza for such an operation.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
We need a Raffi Torres type player, and no Biz ain't the guy. In fact I hope he never wears a Yotes jersey ever again but we do need a spark plug out there.

The entire team is just "there"

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Goal scorers last night in NHL:
Radko Gudas (24)
Kucherov x3 (21)

In addition these guys all had at least one point who were 25 or under:
Tyler Johnson
Killorn
Palat
Stamkos
Suster
JT Brown

Someone had better tell Stevie Y that he is ruining those kids, and that his roster would be more successful with more David Moss types.

It should also be noted that Tampa had 101 points last season, while icing 8 rookies in their line-up.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
He was only listing point getters last night. That didn't even include Paquette and Drouin and the rest.

It's so depressing to see that, while we don't have a single young player, who has high potential on our entire roster at the moment (Murphy excepted). You can still be successful team with plenty of youth in the line-up (again Tampa collected 101 points last year) when they're your best players available. Sounds a lot better than sending all the youth down to the minors, so you play six 4th. liners in the NHL every single game.

Someone should send a memo to Tippett (and Maloney).

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Rob Klinkhammer ‏@Bobbyklink 50m50 minutes ago
On the road in S. Florida, missing Mini #NationalCatDay

Rob Turner ‏@ChillyMostFresh 7m7 minutes ago
@Bobbyklink @RichNairn9 It's OK to miss the cat. You need to stop missing the net. #Coyotes

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona

Rob Turner ‏@ChillyMostFresh 7m7 minutes ago
@Bobbyklink @RichNairn9 It's OK to miss the cat. You need to stop missing the net. #Coyotes

At least he is dialed in as he prepares for his next game . . . . Well, maybe he is, they are playing the Panthers.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Again, no problem with scoring goals but keeping goals out of our net is another story.

Exactly, and this is the entire story. Reading this board, the problem seems to be we don't play young guys. If we did that, we would have won 8-7 obviously or maybe the stellar D of the young guys would have held them to 3 goals? Turnovers and poor defensive play won't be fixed by anyone in the AHL that gets called up.

What most disturbs me about the team at the moment is the fundamental hockey 101 mistakes. The missed coverage in front of the net, the turnovers in our own zone, and the failure to dump the puck and chase, again turnovers in the neutral zone. Tip needs to get his arms around the play of certain guys and this is basic fundamentals, not rocket science. 4 bad turnovers lead to 4 goals last night. The fundamentals need to be fixed, and this is the one area you can blame Tip and his coaches. It is not the skill that is killing us, it is our own mostly unforced poor play(turnovers).

If you guys think rookies will solve our problems, good luck. If we lost and the score was 1-0 or 2-1 consistently, then I could see playing young guys because you need a spark. Not now, you don't want rookies dealing with this train wreck and 7 GA losses.

rt

May 13, 2004
Exactly, and this is the entire story. Reading this board, the problem seems to be we don't play young guys. If we did that, we would have won 8-7 obviously or maybe the stellar D of the young guys would have held them to 3 goals? Turnovers and poor defensive play won't be fixed by anyone in the AHL that gets called up.

What most disturbs me about the team at the moment is the fundamental hockey 101 mistakes. The missed coverage in front of the net, the turnovers in our own zone, and the failure to dump the puck and chase, again turnovers in the neutral zone. Tip needs to get his arms around the play of certain guys and this is basic fundamentals, not rocket science. 4 bad turnovers lead to 4 goals last night. The fundamentals need to be fixed, and this is the one area you can blame Tip and his coaches. It is not the skill that is killing us, it is our own mostly unforced poor play(turnovers).

If you guys think rookies will solve our problems, good luck. If we lost and the score was 1-0 or 2-1 consistently, then I could see playing young guys because you need a spark. Not now, you don't want rookies dealing with this train wreck and 7 GA losses.

You aren't reading. That's clearly not "be entire story".

That's not entirely true.

There are only six teams in the NHL with fewer 5v5 goals per game.

We have an effective PP and our team is absolute garbage everywhere else. That's the story of the season.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Probably female driven.

Pro athletes have hot girlfriends.
Many hot women make their way through this world by leveraging their hotness and not by being smart.
Dumb women like cats.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I don't know about the others who want to see young players get time.
But I do not believe Lessio/Reider/Gormley/whoever is going to solve our problems. Our problems are beyond solving with this budget and roster. Thus it makes sense to play these guys now so they are more ready for next year when we might have a chance at getting back in it. In addition to the likelihood that we wouldn't be any worse off this season anyway.

Far as dealing with blowouts goes, I don't believe this will continue. We saw this early last season too where the team was both scoring and giving up goals at a ridiculous rate. This leveled out after a few months.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't know about the others who want to see young players get time.
But I do not believe Lessio/Reider/Gormley/whoever is going to solve our problems. Our problems are beyond solving with this budget and roster. Thus it makes sense to play these guys now so they are more ready for next year when we might have a chance at getting back in it. In addition to the likelihood that we wouldn't be any worse off this season anyway.

Far as dealing with blowouts goes, I don't believe this will continue. We saw this early last season too where the team was both scoring and giving up goals at a ridiculous rate. This leveled out after a few months.

It did. And then the scoring fell off a cliff. Haha.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is what will happen.

Dave Tippett needs to be fired.

I'm sure you thought this team was a bubble team at best at the start of the season. A coach can only do so much with the talent we have. So we fire DT, and replace him with whomever, then what, keep our fingers crossed? I lay the blame on the ownership with our budget and/or DM.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It did. And then the scoring fell off a cliff. Haha.

And that's the team I think we are once it eventually does level. That January - April squad who was middle of the pack defensively but couldn't score a at all without the PP. We have Doan and no Vrbata where as that squad had Vrbata but no Doan. Not much different.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Dave Tippett needs to be fired.
It's like he's too comfortable. Complacent. No matter what's going on around him, he's going to keep throwing the same guys out there. Results don't matter. The players know that. Nothing is at stake for you as long as you joined the team as a veteran. Tippett is the coaching equivalent of employers who expect 3+ years' experience for an entry-level position; ideal candidate also has 2 years' experience with software that has only existed for one.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

The forwards are to blame too. We had ZERO offensive zone pressure all night. The puck was in our zone 80% of the game. As soon as we crossed the blue line, we lost it and the puck went the other way. You're going to give up a lot of goals that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad