GDT: Game #8: LEAFS vs PENS | Thurs, Oct 18 @ 7 PM EST | Scotiabank Arena | TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I hardly have noticed him this season, I was thinking he is struggling to find his role on the team now, i could be wrong

He's been good but he would need better linemates for the production to show on the sheet. When Nylander signs, he will get either Nylander on his line or Kapanen and that would help a lot and bump everyone down a bit.

member 262271

Never understood this board's infatuation with Johnsson. I knew he was going to get overrated as soon as he was put into the lineup last season.

I remember mentioning this offseason that Johnsson's spot in the lineup isnt a sure thing and that he's going to have to earn it again...People laughed at me for mentioning it and called me a fool
Being such a late pick I think there was reason for excitement - but there is such a thing as going overboard. He doesn't look like the same player this season as of yet.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Only Babs would take out Johnsson for Ennis. Ennis is done as an nhler that's why Minnesota cut him. Minnesota????? omg. Figures when Dubas is out of town he would pull a move like that. Johnsson is the future. He needs to play every day to learn the game. So what if he has a half season of poor games. He is playing on 4th line anyways so it does not hurt the team. Babs thinks that will jump start him clearly. But it is not about jump starting it is Johnsson learning to be an nhler.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
This is Kadri's night. I hope. I think he'll be the deciding factor on who wins this. Pens cant be that happy with their start, Crosby will probably score his 1st minimum.

Kadri hat trick.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Only Babs would take out Johnsson for Ennis. Ennis is done as an nhler that's why Minnesota cut him. Minnesota????? omg. Figures when Dubas is out of town he would pull a move like that. Johnsson is the future. He needs to play every day to learn the game. So what if he has a half season of poor games. He is playing on 4th line anyways so it does not hurt the team. Babs thinks that will jump start him clearly. But it is not about jump starting it is Johnsson learning to be an nhler.
There's no harm in keeping everyone fresh.

Johnsson has been playing better but he hasn't been at the level he was at last year.

It's been reported that he dealt with some family issues in the summer that hampered his ability to train properly. Let him ease in. Obviously, Johnsson is in the long term plans over Ennis.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
So you’re saying he won’t be a good NHL player then? Which is it, because you’re not “feelin it” as you said. Nobody is a lock, but based on how well he played in the playoffs and late season, then his Calder game it was only natural to think he would make the team? Babs sure didn’t say he was a lock this preseason. I still think he turns out but it’s not an absolute.

Whats there not to understand? I didnt think his game would translate well to the NHL based on what I saw but I think he has the potential to make improvements to become a solid NHL player.

And yes, I know Babs didnt say he was a lock. Which only backed up what I said. I'm talkin most of the fans on here.

Im just bringing it up because People were puttin Johnsson on the top line with Mathews or Tavares when they were predicting line combos and I'm sitting here like, "this dude might not even be a lock for the 4th line"

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Are you insinuating Dubas tells Babcock who dresses every night?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I'm honestly amused that anyone thought Ennis would be good, especially on the top line with Matthews. He does not have the size or speed to keep up with most guys and his skill level is nothing remotely special in the NHL now, it's puzzling for sure.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Being such a late pick I think there was reason for excitement - but there is such a thing as going overboard. He doesn't look like the same player this season as of yet.

Correct. This is what I was referring too. People saw that this guy is "fast" and automatically assumed he was a lock.

You have to do a lot more on the ice than just be "fast"

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Whats there not to understand? I didnt think his game would translate well to the NHL based on what I saw but I think he has the potential to make improvements to become a solid NHL player.

And yes, I know Babs didnt say he was a lock. Which only backed up what I said. I'm talkin most of the fans on here.

Im just bringing it up because People were puttin Johnsson on the top line with Mathews or Tavares when they were predicting line combos and I'm sitting here like, "this dude might not even be a lock for the 4th line"
Fair enough.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Instead of scratching Johnsson, I wish he got the Kapanen bump and moved into Marleau's spot on that line.

Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen would be terrific IMHO.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Instead of scratching Johnsson, I wish he got the Kapanen bump and moved into Marleau's spot on that line.

I would also like to see this. To me, its ok to spend a little time on the 4th line, but Jonsson is an offensive type player and at least needs to opportunity to play up the line-up.

Reactions: X66

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Johnsson hasn't been very good, probably not the best time to move him to the top line.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Johnsson hasn't been used to his strengths this year, primarily playing on the 4th line, with few minutes.

He has had 62.5% starts in the Dzone, and yet has a 55.4% CF and 6.2% rel CF. No, he isn't scoring as of yet, but it's some pretty solid possession play.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Common Ennis can't make Minnesota lineup which is terrible up front but he can make the top forward group in the NHL??????????????????????????????????? Please.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
So you're claiming that Martin played over Kapanen in the first half of last season and basically the entire 2016-2017 season because they were trying to keep Kapanen's cap hit under control? You're claiming that Babcock knew that Kapanen was a better NHL player than Martin, but he continued to play Martin that whole time instead? In a year where we only barely made the playoffs, you think he didn't put the best roster forward in order to keep his cap hit under control?

Yes I am claiming they played an NHL contract over an AHL prospect. As much as people want to just press box everybody they don't like, there is the reality of asset management.

I'm honestly amused that anyone thought Ennis would be good, especially on the top line with Matthews. He does not have the size or speed to keep up with most guys and his skill level is nothing remotely special in the NHL now, it's puzzling for sure.

I firmly believe that Ennis was never signed to be a part of this team. I think it was a low risk bet to try and turn a free asset into something more tangible. There was probably hope he would have a good training camp and could be flipped into a pick or packaged.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Yes I am claiming they played an NHL contract over an AHL prospect. As much as people want to just press box everybody they don't like, there is the reality of asset management.

I firmly believe that Ennis was never signed to be a part of this team. I think it was a low risk bet to try and turn a free asset into something more tangible. There was probably hope he would have a good training camp and could be flipped into a pick or packaged.
I think he was supposed to last until Nylander got back, don't think they expected it would last this long.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Johnsson hasn't been used to his strengths this year, primarily playing on the 4th line, with few minutes.

He has had 62.5% starts in the Dzone, and yet has a 55.4% CF and 6.2% rel CF. No, he isn't scoring as of yet, but it's some pretty solid possession play.
Finally someone who actually factors in context. I'm pretty puzzled by all this "Johnsson looks bad" talk. He's been solid but if you are expecting him to produce lots of offense playing with Gauthier in limited minutes then you are out to lunch. I think it would serve him well to be moved up to play with Kadri.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

another way to learn the game is to be in the press-box and get another perspective. Tomas Kaberle his first full season went 5 games in five games out the entire ear. AJ hasn't been playing the best so having a birds eye view of some things will probably help his game.

second of all., are you truly insinuating that Dubas tells Babcock how to dress his lines?

third of all babcock flat out said AJ didn't do anything wrong it's to keep Ennis fresh. this is what Babcock basically does every year rotates players in an out basically until November and everything is locked in. why we have to go through this "OH MY GOD HE'S IN?!" drama every year is beyond me. When Babcock sits AJ for several months then you can go on about how he's the future and he needs to play every day.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Johnsson hasn't been very good, probably not the best time to move him to the top line.

He can definitely be better, but it's hard for players like him to excel in a 4th line spot.

Kapanen was also pointless before moving to the Matthews line.

In the end though, small problems.

Reactions: authentic

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Never said he wont be a good NHL player. He's still got the skills and potential. And im hoping he come through.

But I just never assumed he would be a lock in our lineup for this season like everyone had him out to be due to such a small sample size last season.

And yeah, I saw this guy during the calder cup run, I still wasnt feelin it. I didnt think it would be good enough to translate to the NHL game. And so far, its lookin 50/50. We'll see

Look at Kappy's 10 points in his first 55 NHL games. Bottom 6/3 on the Leafs isn't a great opportunity on 8:35 TOI. I am sure he will show a lot more as the year goes on, especially with more minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad