GDT: Game #8 Hurricanes at Sharks 7:30pm PDT 10/24/15 CSN KFox

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Happy that we're back on track again, too bad I missed most of the game though but I'm happy for Ward, seems like he's been a great addition so far. Hard for me to say since I couldn't watch but I guess having Martin really does help a lot.

Also I couldn't tell what song it when Ward scored but at the end it sounded like Burn it to the Ground by Nickelback, please tell me that's not our new goal song :help:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Fun game, got to admit Martin has been substantially more impactful than I expected. I expected him to be solid, but not a #2 defensemen, which he has been so far. Another great game by Jones, one softie but those are going to happen sometimes. He didn't let it rattle him and was excellent the rest of the game.

We really need to Donskoi, Karlsson, and Smith back so we can have a good 4th line again, cause man did they suck. It's such a bummer Couture is going to be out so long, we really could have used Raffi right now if not for his stupidity. frustrating.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
let's not get too far ahead here. this was the canes. martin helps the defense not be a trainwreck. but missing couture still hurts our ability to control play to the degree we need to against the top teams.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
They didn't even announce the attendance number in house. It's been a VERY long time since they haven't announced the number at the game.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Missed the game since I was at work but glad to hear we won and Ward got a hatty. He sounds like a real class act

Missed the game. Will catch the replay later. Go Sharks!

Last edited by a moderator:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
let's not get too far ahead here. this was the canes. martin helps the defense not be a trainwreck. but missing couture still hurts our ability to control play to the degree we need to against the top teams.

Yah, but Hertl is getting better every game. He had some really impressive playmaking this game. I'm kind of glad Couture is out in a way just because it's really giving Hertl a great opportunity to develop with some great line mates.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yah, but Hertl is getting better every game. He had some really impressive playmaking this game. I'm kind of glad Couture is out in a way just because it's really giving Hertl a great opportunity to develop with some great line mates.

I am not glad Couture is out but I do think it has given Hertl and Tierney both a good chance to step up their games and show how good they are at C. So far .. so good.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Neat "ALL WHO ENTER THE SHARK TANK WILL BE DEVOURED" slogan painted on the wall back there in the dressing room.

--------------------

Paul Martin on radio postgame interview:

- any time you're out of the lineup it's always tough to watch, you wanna be in there helping the guys any way you can; to miss a couple games and see the team not do as great as expected, then to get back in and be part of a great effort by the guys tonight was good
- he and Burns complement each other well, he wants to make the game as easy as possible for Burns, such a good player, moves the puck, has size, can get that shot off, just wants to read off him, see where he's at on the ice, get up and support him, they still have things they can work on to get even better
- these games are always tough, you might look at the win-loss column and not expect Carolina to play as well, and take things for granted, it was good to get goals early and Jonesy made a couple big saves late that they needed, he's been great all year, any time you have goalies that give you a chance to win, that's all you can ask for
- takes a bit to get adjusted back to game speed, Carolina has young guys w/ speed and talent who can create opportunities if you give them space, but they mostly did a good job of not giving up too much, just getting the two points is big for the first game back
- once you get back you kinda want game every other day, or if you get a big win you wanna build on that and keep going, have to make sure to stay sharp, maybe take a day off tomorrow to spend w/ his family in town, get back to work Monday

(he challenges Dillon somewhat in speaking speed, but I think Marty's a little less articulate)

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, put me down for the Paul Martin for Hart campaign...

Dillon looked awful even on the third pair. I would honestly rather have Demers paired with Mueller than Dillon and Tennyson, even though I prefer Tennyson to mueller

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

that is true. hertl is getting some serious experience. though i'm not glad at all, he gets some great experience as the 3rd line center too.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
I am not glad Couture is out but I do think it has given Hertl and Tierney both a good chance to step up their games and show how good they are at C. So far .. so good.

Hmm, both Tierney and Hertl had more ice time than Thornton tonight.
Only one PP so I guess that explains it a bit. Never remember that happening before though.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
that is true. hertl is getting some serious experience. though i'm not glad at all, he gets some great experience as the 3rd line center too.

Well, as I said 'in a way'. Not literally glad Couture is out, but silver lining and all that.

There is a reason the 2nd line has been our best line still for the most part, Hertl is doing a really good job.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
There is a reason the 2nd line has been our best line still for the most part, Hertl is doing a really good job.

eh, i don't know that it has. but that's likely to cause our usual argument where i accuse you of agenda-based crapping on thornton :laugh:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
eh, i don't know that it has. but that's likely to cause our usual argument where i accuse you of agenda-based crapping on thornton :laugh:

The second line has been the best line, but it's cause of marleau, tbh. He's been all over the ice, I don't even think he looked this fast last year. He completely blew by Justin Faulk earlier in the game.

Of course, my post may also be slightly agenda based :laugh: But part of it is definitely due to the fact that they're all good fits for one another, and have time to develop chemistry. Nieto definitely doesn't fit well with Thornton and Pavelski.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
Fun game, got to admit Martin has been substantially more impactful than I expected. I expected him to be solid, but not a #2 defensemen, which he has been so far. Another great game by Jones, one softie but those are going to happen sometimes. He didn't let it rattle him and was excellent the rest of the game.

We really need to Donskoi, Karlsson, and Smith back so we can have a good 4th line again, cause man did they suck. It's such a bummer Couture is going to be out so long, we really could have used Raffi right now if not for his stupidity. frustrating.

Great points. Totally agree on all. Martin and Jones were both solid. With the others mentioned; so true. Especially beside Joe and Joe, Karlsson or Donskoi needed in a steady role up there. Nieto is DEFINITELY not a good fit for the top line. Not at all. The injuries have affected us quite a bit, especially our top line in that winger role and our presently non existent 4th line. Hopefully some of the current injured returning soon

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The second line has been the best line, but it's cause of marleau, tbh. He's been all over the ice, I don't even think he looked this fast last year. He completely blew by Justin Faulk earlier in the game.

Of course, my post may also be slightly agenda based :laugh: But part of it is definitely due to the fact that they're all good fits for one another, and have time to develop chemistry. Nieto definitely doesn't fit well with Thornton and Pavelski.

There are certain parts of Nieto's game that fit very well with Thornton and Pavelski. His speed and defensive ability go well with those two. He's just not likely to produce because he doesn't have that finishing ability but a lot of his puck play works as a support for Thornton that allows Pavs to float around. It's just not ideal. I actually think Wingels would be a better fit. Maybe not much better in terms of finishing ability but a better chance of doing so because Thornton is at his best with righty shooters at his disposal.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada

We need to stop the shark on shark violence at once!!

Seriously though fun game to watch, great bounce back and Martin was a clear difference maker. Good to see hertl gelling when needed. Could have had a couple more points if the bounces favoured

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Back from the game, and thoughts below, but first, how did the Dillon/Tennyson pairing look on the TV screen. Hard to tell from my seats, but it did not look bad at all.

1. Paul Martin makes a big difference and solidifies a top 4 defensemen team. He's really great to pair with Burns. Great acquisition by DW.

2. Ward hustles, and it shows with his deserved hat trick. He set the tone right off the bat about 2 minutes into the 1st period.

3. Marleau has some great chances on breakaways, but it usually came at the end of his shifts and the gas tank was low. I have no doubt that a Marleau in his prime would have converted on one of those.

3. Thornton at times looked good like the playmaker his reputation is, but then sometimes not so much.

4. That 4th line did not produce. Two of them even battled for the puck between them. I believe that was McCarthy and Brown.

5. Martin Jones had more poise in the net than in his previous games, and he made some great saves in the 1st and 3rd period specifically.

6. Sharks had some sloppy line changes and I was concerned they get hit with a penalty.

7. The penalty call on the Sharks that setup the Cane's first goal looked very questionable to me, but my view was not the great.

8. Still waiting for the beast within Wingels to reappear like we saw during that one month last season.

9. Too bad Irwin's shot capability cannot be transferred to Vlasic. Vlasic does not have much of a slapshot or a wrister.

10. I hope that gal a couple of seats over holding the "Hi Dad" sign in her canes jersey made the TV and her Dad saw her.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad