GDT: Game #8| Feb. 1, 2013|Flyers at Capitals |7:00 p.m. ET

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Was at the game tonight, the Flyers just seemed to lack chemistry and I think the team may have an identity problem. Giroux seems to be pressing and the team just looks out of sync in all aspects of the game.

Bryz for the most part has been solid, the offense has taken a huge step back at the moment, and I can't say I'm surprised.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Well... at least you guys are worst than us. But seriously, i can't believe how bad our two teams are playing this year, it's embarrassing.

I can't believe how bad the EAST is playing.

Maybe the Bolts are decent because they can score at a nice clip, but in the playoffs they will get shutdown, everyone gets shut down.

So much talent yet so much suck.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I can't believe how bad the EAST is playing.

Maybe the Bolts are decent because they can score at a nice clip, but in the playoffs they will get shutdown, everyone gets shut down.

So much talent yet so much suck.

It's hard to fathom. I can't imagine any current East team beating any West team in the Finals.

I'm glad to hear that. That elbow brought up bad memories of Bourque's elbow on Backstrom last year, really hope this isn't nearly that bad.

Also, the league average right now for shooting percentage is 9.34%, fwiw.

Ah, thanks...so we are at half of that, ignoring the Florida game. Still well below with it. Weeee.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
I can't put my finger on why this team sucks so much ass right now. They can't set up a PP, the defense is just not getting shots through, and the forwards simply cannot get pressure on net. Every shot is from the perimeter.

And I've never seen so many breakaways given up my entire life. It's fascinating that the d-men never pinch, but somehow manage to consistently get burnt for a breakaway. Like they're in neutral zone purgatory.

It's really frustrating. I haven't seen Voracek all year...Couturier as well. Talbot's back to being Talbot, and Giroux is just off. I still think he's trying to hard and that's his problem, since he's done this before, but man it's beyond frustrating.

And B. Schenn looks like a 3rd liner out there at best. Kind of sad.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
LOL !I grew up on the Jersey side near the old Walt Whitman Bridge in a town called Westville.......Been watching the Flyers since 1967, and have seen em go through stuff like this etc, but the one thing that i am concerned with more than the lack of goal production etc, is that ERSKINE did not have to answer the bell for that hit.....Harts woulda took care of business had he been playing. I like how Zac stepped up, but somebody needed to drop em with Erskine....The goals will eventually come, but i am concerned about the non response to Erskine........That is VERY troubling to me........Other than that the cup is still half full.

I agree. I would've liked it if Lavy had shown some emotion there. A few sticks and maybe even a bench thrown on the ice would've picked things up.

I don't know what's more piss-poor: our team or the officiating. As bad as the Flyers have been, I blame two of their losses on the refs.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
had to leave after the 1st period due to RL issues..

seems i saved myself alot of aggro..

ps. thx for everything Lavi. hope ur next stop finds you the success you never did find here..

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
had to leave after the 1st period due to RL issues..

seems i saved myself alot of aggro..

ps. thx for everything Lavi. hope ur next stop finds you the success you never did find here..

I think we could do very well under the Boston Bruins model. Its kinda set up; Giroux is Krejci, Couturier could be Bergeron, Bryz is Thomas, Simmonds and Schenn will get even stronger as they get older. Luke Schenn is like Boychuk. I'd kinda model them a little.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think we could do very well under the Boston Bruins model. Its kinda set up; Giroux is Krejci, Couturier could be Bergeron, Bryz is Thomas, Simmonds and Schenn will get even stronger as they get older. Luke Schenn is like Boychuk. I'd kinda model them a little.

You could add Timonen as Seidenberg and Hartnell as Lucic. However, the Flyers are missing some major pieces that make the Bruins work. Most importantly, nobody is close to Chara. Seguin is head and shoulders above the current Flyers offensive talent. Couturier has much to learn, especially in faceoffs, before he can be compared to Bergeron. And I won't even approach the difference between Rask and Leighton.

It's just incredibly how incoherent the players are, forwards with defense and linemates. If they were playing good defense but missing offensively, or vice versa, there would be a clear practice strategy. But nothing seems to be good, not PP, certainly not PK, and it's not much better at either end of the rink 5-on-5.

I guess after another loss or two, we'll get a "players only meeting", where ostensibly tough words will be exchanged and bonding will be done. I don't remember times with any squads where such meetings cause a big turnaround. They all need to play up to their talent, plain and simple. They all need to support each other positionally, rather than looking like a peewee soccer team. And they need to find PP and PK game plans that don't smell like Cesar Milan's backyard.

Darn right I'd start Leighton if I were Laviolette (notwithstanding the firing threat hanging over him). The players can step up their game and not float around leaving Bryzgalov out to dry.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I don't get it. Is this in reference to his playoff goal against buffalo?

It was more a shot at this team for looking worse than the 06-07 team and suggesting that Niko Dimitrakos could help bring them up a step...

I wasn't expecting anyone to think it was funny... I should stop trying to be funny.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
It was more a shot at this team for looking worse than the 06-07 team and suggesting that Niko Dimitrakos could help bring them up a step...

I wasn't expecting anyone to think it was funny... I should stop trying to be funny.

Gotcha. I thought u were saying they could use an unexpected player to step up and score a big goal.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Makes sense. A lot of our shots are garbage from the blue line and boards.

SOG is an overrated stat. yeah you cant score if you dont shoot the puck, but how many times do they shoot it with a purpose.
I wonder how many scoring chances they have had per game. It cant be very high.

It seems that some of the kids have not handled the extra responsibilty well. Add into it that Giroux is in a funk, Hartnell is hurt and now Simmonds it doesnt make it any easier on them.
I know everyone is frustrated and ticked off. Hell I am, but you have to remember how spoiled we were last year offensively. I expected some drop off in scoring, granted I didnt expect it to be this bad but I expected things to settle back a bit this year.
People are just going to have to be patient with guys like Schenn, Couturier and Read. How much adversity did they have to face last year? not very much.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I told you that you wouldn't end up regretting the fact that you didn't attend this game :laugh:

Have you made fun of all your friends for the money they wasted yet?

Every single one of them barely remembers the game. It was such an awful effort by everyone involved that they began powerdrinking in the first period, then retreated to the Green Turtle after the game while waiting for Metro to clear out.

I've done this at Caps games before (Once while bleeding a lot. Be careful with fruit zesters, kids), and I know they spent a total of at least 150 bucks.

I got the mostly same experience for $20 of Beefeater, and about .001 dollars worth of ice from my freezer.

SOG is an overrated stat. yeah you cant score if you dont shoot the puck, but how many times do they shoot it with a purpose.
I wonder how many scoring chances they have had per game. It cant be very high.

It seems that some of the kids have not handled the extra responsibilty well. Add into it that Giroux is in a funk, Hartnell is hurt and now Simmonds it doesnt make it any easier on them.
I know everyone is frustrated and ticked off. Hell I am, but you have to remember how spoiled we were last year offensively. I expected some drop off in scoring, granted I didnt expect it to be this bad but I expected things to settle back a bit this year.
People are just going to have to be patient with guys like Schenn, Couturier and Read. How much adversity did they have to face last year? not very much.

SOG is overrated without context. Add what we know about this team and what we've seen, and it really makes perfect sense. Their effort has been crap, therefore their shots have been crap, therefore their shooting percentage is crap.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
SOG is overrated without context. Add what we know about this team and what we've seen, and it really makes perfect sense. Their effort has been crap, therefore their shots have been crap, therefore their shooting percentage is crap.

I dont think the effort has been great, but I also think that some guys are being asked to do things that maybe they werent ready for. Thats not there fault. its just how it is.
I am sure that the kids thought that they were ready, early returns on that havent been good. I am not sure what the answer is. you have 2 choices. trade some of the kids for more experience or ride it out and hopefully they get it figured out.
Many people are being hard on Schenn, Couturier and Read. Fact is we were spoiled last year. So many guys probably overachieved. Sucks that everyone has crashed to earth at once tho.
I am trying to stay poisitive btw.
Someone has to:sarcasm:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So much is a going so wrong on so many fronts I don't even know where to begin addressing it.

Except goal, which is the most un-Flyer thing possible :laugh:. Really, that's been fine. Oh no, Bryz sucks at breakaways. Whoop-dee-poop, he's given the team multiple chances to live and win.

Tonight I thought Gervais and Foster both looked exactly as expected, based on lamentations from their former fanbases...and they were paired together. Jolly.

FlyingHigh28*

Every single one of them barely remembers the game. It was such an awful effort by everyone involved that they began powerdrinking in the first period, then retreated to the Green Turtle after the game while waiting for Metro to clear out.

I've done this at Caps games before (Once while bleeding a lot. Be careful with fruit zesters, kids), and I know they spent a total of at least 150 bucks.

I got the mostly same experience for $20 of Beefeater, and about .001 dollars worth of ice from my freezer.

Drinking is now mandatory for all Flyers games. If I had to watch a Flyers game sober, my TV would look like a Laviolette-used coke machine.

What a dark day for Philadelphia though, our hockey team comes out w/ that piss-poor effort and earlier in the day the Wingbowl title was won by some freaking Boston kid sporting a Tom Brady jersey. We can't even win the event we created to take away the pain of knowing that we can't win a superbowl anymore... What is the world coming to? :cry:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Drinking is now mandatory for all Flyers games. If I had to watch a Flyers game sober, my TV would look like a Laviolette-used coke machine.

What a dark day for Philadelphia though, our hockey team comes out w/ that piss-poor effort and earlier in the day the Wingbowl title was won by some freaking Boston kid sporting a Tom Brady jersey. We can't even win the event we created to take away the pain of knowing that we can't win a superbowl anymore... What is the world coming to? :cry:

Philly lost an eating contest to Boston? That's...well, that makes sense. One fat city loses to another. I'll hold off on filling a bucket and drowning myself on that one.

Edit: Oh, and I think CSN sent Sarah Baicker to cover that. I don't know what she's said about it, but I have to assume that's the low point of her career.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Couturier should have known the D were changing. The goal is on him. :facepalm:

L. Schenn's gift to the caps as the winner.:facepalm:

McGinn >>>>>> B. Schenn.:facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad