GDT: Game 8 | Detroit Red Wings vs. Columbus Blue Jackets | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D (HD) ‎

CloneHakanPlease*

Great GDT.

A win is a win. A win is 2 points. I don't give 2 rats behinds how they won it. They beat a good team. I'm getting fed up with this BS. At this point, the Wings could win the Stanley Cup, and you all will find ways to rationalize how it wasn't an accomplishment.

At this point we could be out early in the first round again and have you argue that we were real contenders. Which do you think is more likely?

Last edited by a moderator:

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Great GDT.

At this point we could be out early in the first round again and have you argue that we were real contenders

And then I'll point out how playoffs are never a good measure of "being a contender," and promptly point to the Kings and the Ducks of the world and how they eliminate these so called "contenders."

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
A win is a win. A win is 2 points. I don't give 2 rats behinds how they won it. They beat a good team. I'm getting fed up with this BS. At this point, the Wings could win the Stanley Cup, and you all will find ways to rationalize how it wasn't an accomplishment.

This is why I don't post that much in the Wings forum. I'm not sure if some people are Wings fans or fans of criticizing everything about the Wings.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
I'm a masochist with too much apathy to frustration. I just inflict suffering on myself trying to argue with people here.

As frustrating as Captain Bob could be, at least he made good points and backed up his arguments well.

You're persistent, I'll give you that.:laugh:

This team could really use two more skilled guys playing 10-15 minutes a night. Sadly, they're still sitting in the minors. Oh well.

4-1 Wings win too much to hope for?

CloneHakanPlease*

And then I'll point out how playoffs are never a good measure of "being a contender," and promptly point to the Kings and the Ducks of the world and how they eliminate these so called "contenders."

Both those teams underachieved all year and were able to make deadline deals. Both also were filled with youth and had a good defense core capable of playing playoff style hockey. Neither of these situations fit the Wings. There is a big difference in being a team people were shocked to finished 8th, and being one that people expected to finish 8th.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
As frustrating as Captain Bob could be, at least he made good points and backed up his arguments well.

Captain Bob often resorts to childish name calling and unfounded claims. Hardly great backup to his arguments. Apparently appealing to history isn't backing up an argument. That's incredibly arbitrary, I must say.

Both those teams underachieved all year and were able to make deadline deals. Both also were filled with youth and had a good defense core capable of playing playoff style hockey. Neither of these situations fit the Wings.

Underachieved? Is that how you're rationalizing it? The Kings achieved the same way they're achieving this year. The Ducks were an incredibly shallow team in '09. Sure they had a ridiculous defense, but Andrew Ebbett was their second line center.

CloneHakanPlease*

Captain Bob often resorts to childish name calling and unfounded claims. Hardly great backup to his arguments. Apparently appealing to history isn't backing up an argument. That's incredibly arbitrary, I must say.

Underachieved? Is that how you're rationalizing it? The Kings achieved the same way they're achieving this year. The Ducks were an incredibly shallow team in '09. Sure they had a ridiculous defense, but Andrew Ebbett was their second line center.

You were referring to Anaheim in 2009? I thought you were referring to the 04 ducks since that one actually made a case for your point instead of losing in the 2nd round. Either way, neither are remotely close to how the Wings are currently built

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
You're appealing to outliers more than history.

Oh really? I am?

2006: Every bottom seeded team in the West wins in the first round.
2007: Rangers sweep Thrashers
2008: Top Seeded Montreal Embarrased by 6th seed Philadelphia in second round
2009: Ducks upend Presidents Trophy winning Sharks in 6 games; 6th Seeded Carolina Hurricanes upend both 3rd seeded Devils and top seeded Bruins.

2010: Philadephia embarrasses 2nd seeded New Jersey in 5 games; Montreal upsets the President's trophy winning Capitals and then the Stanley Cup champion Penguins; Bruins upend the Sabres in 6 games.

2011: Lightning sweep the top seeded Capitals in the second round.
2012: Los Angeles Kings plow through the top three seeds in the west; Washington Capitals upset the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins; New Jersey upsets the Panthers in seven games, Flyers in five games, and Rangers in six games.

These are all hardly outliers. They are common occurrences in the playoffs since the last year-round lockout. If you want to say playoff success is a measure of "contender-ness" then there are a couple of darn good teams you have to put on your "non-contender" list.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
If anyone is willing to make banners for my GDT's please PM me. Shoalzie usually does them, but he hasn't replied lately and my photoshop skills are at an amateur level. I just need some nice banners with the same size as the ones I currently use.

If Shoalzie is still around and is willing to do them, then that's fine, but I'd like to have a backup.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Oh really? I am?

2009: Ducks upend Presidents Trophy winning Sharks in 6 games; 6th Seeded Carolina Hurricanes upend both 3rd seeded Devils and top seeded Bruins.

2010: Philadephia embarrasses 2nd seeded New Jersey in 5 games; Montreal upsets the President's trophy winning Capitals and then the Stanley Cup champion Penguins; Bruins upend the Sabres in 6 games.

2012: Los Angeles Kings plow through the top three seeds in the west; Washington Capitals upset the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins; New Jersey upsets the Panthers in seven games, Flyers in five games, and Rangers in six games.

These are all hardly outliers. They are common occurrences in the playoffs since the last year-round lockout. If you want to say playoff success is a measure of "contender-ness" then there are a couple of darn good teams you have to put on your "non-contender" list.

I thought we were talking about winning the Cup, not first-round upsets.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes

We're talking about playoff success being a measure of "contender-ness." And I listed numerous upsets of teams we would consider contenders.

You brought up the Kings Cup win. I said that they, as the only sixth-seed or lower to win the Cup, are an outlier.

That's what I was talking about.

"We" are not not talking about whatever you think "we" are.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Oh really? I am?

I know what you mean you would think we were columbus the way people talk about the roster. Remeber when chelious was the whipping boy?

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
You brought up the Kings Cup win. I said that they, as the only sixth-seed or lower to win the Cup, are an outlier.

That's what I was talking about.

"We" are not not talking about whatever you think "we" are.

Strawman argument. I did not bring up the Kings cup win. I brought up the fact they upset a team people people thought were contenders (The Canucks), and thus the Canucks could not be considered contenders because of that. That is what "We" are arguing. It is completely different from what "You" are trying to hijack the argument into.

I know what you mean you would think we were columbus the way people talk about the roster. Remeber when chelious was the whipping boy?

Unfortunately, my following of the sport does not go that far back. I have done countless research and video research into the history of the game, and that is where I get my understanding from. Fortunately, I'm a very fast learner.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Unfortunately, my following of the sport does not go that far back. I have done countless research and video research into the history of the game, and that is where I get my understanding from. Fortunately, I'm a very fast learner.

Makes more sense now. I think it was one of those "you had to be there" things.

CloneHakanPlease*

We're talking about playoff success being a measure of "contender-ness." And I listed numerous upsets of teams we would consider contenders.

And how many teams on that list were as old as we were, almost completely reliant on two players, and treading downward? I see a total of zero.

CloneHakanPlease*

Fortunately, I'm a very fast learner.

You must have skipped the chapter about Calgary from 2006-2012

Tell you what. PM me your paypal information and if the Wings make it past the 2nd round this year barring a major trade or situation (i.e. we get Chicago and Kane/Toews gets in a fatal car accident) I'll send you a 100 bucks and will never post here again. You won't have to give me anything when I'm right. I am being 100% serious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3