GDT: [Game #8] Dallas Stars @ Calgary Flames – 7:30 PM CT (BSSW)

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
AWfWAPY.png

GAME #8 – 11/01/2023 – 7:30 PM CT – BSSW

Scotiabank Saddledome

Your Dallas Stars vs. the Calgary Flames
5-1-1, 11 pts ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ 2-6-1, 5 pts

S2Q26Rq.png
baFaAfW.png

uEDwjZ4.png

Forward lines '22-23 copy.png

ztUaXq7.png

Calgary Flames

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Hunt - Backlund - Coleman
Sharangovich - Kadri - Zary
Greer - Coronato - Duehr

Weegar - Anderson
Hanifin - Tanev
Gilbert - Zadorov

Markstrom

2fmwd0w.png

Last edited:

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
at least we have a 30 min diff from the start of the rangers game. hard to prioritize game 8 over a potential WS clincher
I can't believe it's been this long, but I think the last Stars game I attended may have been when the Rangers were one strike away from winning the World Series. The Stars game had ended and we went into a bar in the AAC and watched them blow it. I'm not interested in baseball but I'll be keeping up with it tonight to see if a Texas team hopefully wins a title. Last time I kept up with baseball was in the Juan Gonzales/Pudge/Palmeiro days.

I feel bad for anyone that watches baseball, 3 hours of people standing doing nothing. Super exciting stuff!
Baseball fans describe hockey as a bunch of guys going in circles with nothing happening and no scoring. Thinking about baseball has always sent me into a dark despair, especially thinking about having to be a player and sit around for hours 162 + times almost every day (I guess the pay would be nice though). As a kid I had nightmares about baseball gloves... Always thought they were ugly.

Reactions: LT

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I can't believe it's been this long, but I think the last Stars game I attended may have been when the Rangers were one strike away from winning the World Series. The Stars game had ended and we went into a bar in the AAC and watched them blow it. I'm not interested in baseball but I'll be keeping up with it tonight to see if a Texas team hopefully wins a title. Last time I kept up with baseball was in the Juan Gonzales/Pudge/Palmeiro days.

Baseball fans describe hockey as a bunch of guys going in circles with nothing happening and no scoring. Thinking about baseball has always sent me into a dark despair, especially thinking about having to be a player and sit around for hours 162 + times almost every day (I guess the pay would be nice though). As a kid I had nightmares about baseball gloves... Always thought they were ugly.

As a pro, sure, as a minor leaguer making $2.5k a month riding a bus standing standing in a field night after night. Eeeeek sounds like the worst job possible.

Reactions: ElGuapo

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
i'm not gonna pretend i watch all 162, and i had even stopped watching baseball all together for a few years. BUT, the advent of the pitch clock has made it SOOOOO much better. it's much more like it was when i was a kid. games are closer to 2:30/45 instead of 4 hours. (especially combined with limited mound visits, minimum batters faced for relievers, no more 4 pitch intentional walks, limited runner checks)
the willingness of baseball over the past two years to adopt significant rule changes to massively improve the viewer experience is a template all sports should follow.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
i'm not gonna pretend i watch all 162, and i had even stopped watching baseball all together for a few years. BUT, the advent of the pitch clock has made it SOOOOO much better. it's much more like it was when i was a kid. games are closer to 2:30/45 instead of 4 hours. (especially combined with limited mound visits, minimum batters faced for relievers, no more 4 pitch intentional walks, limited runner checks)
the willingness of baseball over the past two years to adopt significant rule changes to massively improve the viewer experience is a template all sports should follow.
I'm a big football fan. But watching the games sucks because of sooo many commercial breaks. The only way to improve the game for TV is to cut down on that... Good luck. Good for baseball that they had things they could do to improve it.

Reactions: LT

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I won’t lie I was gonna watch the rangers game lol
I too am watching the rangers. I don’t normally watch baseball but when the rangers are this close I have to see it. Hopefully Eovaldi has a great game and they can close this out tonight.

Reactions: redbeardtx

serp

Jan 17, 2016
With the recent rule changes baseball is easily more fun to watch than football in its current state which has become little more than a parade of flags and commercials.

The amount of commercials in football games these days make it completely unwatchable. Funny thing is when they show these games on german TV it has considerably less commercials to the point the commentators often don't know what to talk about anymore during US commercial breaks and just read random Tweets from viewers.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
The amount of commercials in football games these days make it completely unwatchable. Funny thing is when they show these games on german TV it has considerably less commercials to the point the commentators often don't know what to talk about anymore during US commercial breaks and just read random Tweets from viewers.
Yeah I don't watch full football games unless it's the Texas Longhorns. They're having a great season and there aren't many games compared to other sports but most of the games have been boring. I do like watching extended highlights of football games on YouTube though because it cuts out the issue of excessive commercials.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Welcome back to "Who Is That Player?" Today we zero in on that famous Calgary rearguard, Dennis Gilbert

8478502.png

A 3rd round pick of the Blackhawks back in 2015 (42 picks after Roope Hintz and 12 before Chris Martenet -- who you may be interested to know is still grinding away as a stay-at-home physical defenseman in the Czech league of all places) Gilbert has bounced between the Chicago, Colorado, and Calgary organizations.

The 27 year old hit a high mark of 23 games played in the NHL last year and looks to cement his spot in Calgary with both his own play and also with the possible house-cleaning upcoming for the perpetually mediocre franchise as they are faced with decisions on what to do with Noah Hanifin and Chris Tanev.

As a Buffalo native, he is among a group of only 2 currently active players (Alex Iafallo the other) who hail from that lofty hockey market. You didn't think Buffalo would be safe in a Calgary player profile, did you?

This concludes "Who Is That Player?"

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003

Are you kidding me, for that money sign me up. Making that coin and don't have to risk debilitating injuries that could have serious consequences on my health as I age.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
thinking about having to be a player and sit around for hours 162 + times almost every day (I guess the pay would be nice though).

I spent 2 seasons working in a call center for MLBTV getting paid $10-12 an hour to sit there and watch the games while getting bitched at by boomers who didn't understand blackouts and being stuck at work until almost 2am sometimes because the Padres used to slow play games every damn time and we couldn't leave until all games were over.

I didn't like baseball before that experience, I despised it after, lol.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I spent 2 seasons working in a call center for MLBTV getting paid $10-12 an hour to sit there and watch the games while getting bitched at by boomers who didn't understand blackouts and being stuck at work until almost 2am sometimes because the Padres used to slow play games every damn time and we couldn't leave until all games were over.

I didn't like baseball before that experience, I despised it after, lol.
Ad: "Get paid to watch sports!"

"Wow, that sounds awesome!"

• Haha
Reactions: LT and piqued

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: