Pre-Game Talk: Game 8 - 10/19 7:14 PM - THE BEAR returns to Hogtown - NESN, CBC, NHLN, SN4K, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The Bad: Have an awful flu and will have to forgo work this evening as I can`t be handling food and beverages for the general public

The Good: Get to watch the game IF I can stay awake with all the crap I`m putting in my system to help try and suppress a horrible cough, headache and sinus issues

Really too bad we don`t get a chance to see both teams playing with a full lineup but 2 games vs each other over the next few days, the B`s need to play sharper than they have as their record doesn`t indicate how they really are playing and having seen 0 minutes of Leaf hockey this season, can`t comment too much on them but all I read is they too have struggled to find consistency

This one will be decided by special teams and the B`s have the edge so naturally I go with our boys in a 5-3 win, empty netter from Kuraly

A very big four point swing these two games. Take advantage of no Tavares.

The Bruins SHOULD be able to dominate the Leafs physically and offensively. Win 6-4 if they have to.

I don't expect many PPs tonight in Toronto.

Reactions: rfournier103

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
A very big four point swing these two games. Take advantage of no Tavares.

The Bruins SHOULD be able to dominate the Leafs physically and offensively. Win 6-4 if they have to.

I don't expect many PPs tonight in Toronto.
the loss of Krejci despite him not playing great after having next to no camp to get up to speed should balance things out.

Listening now to a radio show out of TO right now that are focusing on tonight`s game, sounds like the Cici is struggling pretty hard right now so attack his side all night. While I think the B`s are the team between the two who are more comfortable playing physical, our boys are hardly bruisers outside a few. What I don`t want to see are the Leafs being given long outlet passes to spring odd man rushes and I don`t want to see our boys racing all around our zone trying to catch the Leafs players. Force them to make a play by playing with defensive discipline rather than trying to catch them and lastly, shoot from everywhere.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I actually agree with TRYING Kuhlman there, it's not about a promotion. It's more about finding a shooter that can finish.
Then I would do.
Heinen -- Krejci -- pasta
DeBrusk-- Coyle -- Bjork
I'm open to trying anything to increase scoring. I just dont see what other see in Kuhlman. just another guy so far to me. he hasn't shown me enough to warrant him being given a 2rw position on this team. I hope he proves me wrong and starts to light it up, but nothing in his history shows him as likely being able to do it.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
And the fifth Player Cookie goes to...
Jaroslav-Halak-Bruins-575x372.jpg

Jaroslav Halak! And he gets...
August-2019.016-1200x675.jpeg

Nice cold, ice cold milk! What's better to back up a roster of delicious cookies than a tall glass of milk? Some cookies are almost *gasp* inedible without some milk to wash them down. Okay, so it's not technically a cookie (and there's at least one other "non-cookie" coming, so be warned), but we all know that goalies are...different.

Bravo

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I would like to see (when healthy of course) them try this with the lines.

March - Bergy - Kulhman
Bjork - Krejci - Pasta
DeBrusk - Coyle - Heinen
Nordstrom - Kuraly - Wagner
Ritchie/Backes/Lindholm

My reasoning is thus. I think while the first line has been amazing and all that, they haven't been unbreakable at 5v5. They do a lot of damage on the PP which would still be intact. Always know we CAN go back to that all star line at any time but this is the time of year to try and develop some balance and mix things up a bit. I believe Kulhman brings some good things to our dynamic duo (63+37). He is a good worker and would setup or get a chance to finish a lot of chances on that line. A good compliment to the chemistry of Bergy and Marsh.

I think JD needs a shakeup. I haven't been super fond of his game this season (other than that amazing all out back check the other night). So let's call up Bjork and give the kid a well earned shot again. I love the kids game, he just needs to finish some the chances he has been getting at the NHL level. I think that second line would be very good offensively, however, might be too much of a liability in their own end. Have to see how it would look.

This third line would be a lot of teams second line if they play to their potential. Coyle creates chances through possession plays and DeBrusk could feed off that because he isnt great at creating things himself. Heinen is a smart player that would help out both offensively and most importantly defensively with this line.

4th line is proven.

I know it won't happen but I would love to see this for like 5 games in November.

One thing to be very mindful of when talking about moving Pasta to Krejci's wing because they will still be together on the powerplay is that a lot of their pp chemistry is garnered through playving 5v5 also. You see it all the time with stacked power play units that aren't nearly as successful as they should be on paper and a major reason for that is that outside of some practice time a bunch of the guys don't get that instinctual knowledge of where the other will be. You run the risk of not only weakening the Bergeron line but also weakening the power play.

I've gone through the same thing in the past quarter-backing power plays, my tendencies and set plays that I also use at 5v5. A lot of that chemistry is built 5v5 as it just gives you that much more time with your teammates to understand what they're seeing, where they're going, how aggressive they are, when they shoot, etc. and for them to see that about you.

Bruins are in an ideal position with the first line and power play as not only are they incredibly talented but unlike near every other team, they get to play and practice full strength all the time together. It is important.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I'm open to trying anything to increase scoring. I just dont see what other see in Kuhlman. just another guy so far to me. he hasn't shown me enough to warrant him being given a 2rw position on this team. I hope he proves me wrong and starts to light it up, but nothing in his history shows him as likely being able to do it.
Like I said in the other thread, he's already on the team, maybe they already tried in practice, we don't know.
Anyway I wouldn't mind trying it.
He played well in the playoffs, maybe he just needs a little more time to get going. He's not alone a few of them needs to get going.

Reactions: smack66

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
The complaining has already started on there. Pre-complaining :laugh:
I see them complaining about the schedule again this year already. I like the fact they see all back to back games as losses. Very positive mindset!

that they’d complain about scheduling at all is fantastic. When they start playing Monday games at noon then they can start bitching. Not before

Reactions: Boston Bandit

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Nothing against Rask, but everytime Halak is in net I feel he is unstoppable when he is in his zone. Very confident and makes some tough saves look easy.

We have no idea how lucky we are to have two #1's on this team. Both can play elite when they are on their games. Go Bruins!

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
One thing to be very mindful of when talking about moving Pasta to Krejci's wing because they will still be together on the powerplay is that a lot of their pp chemistry is garnered through playving 5v5 also. You see it all the time with stacked power play units that aren't nearly as successful as they should be on paper and a major reason for that is that outside of some practice time a bunch of the guys don't get that instinctual knowledge of where the other will be. You run the risk of not only weakening the Bergeron line but also weakening the power play.

I've gone through the same thing in the past quarter-backing power plays, my tendencies and set plays that I also use at 5v5. A lot of that chemistry is built 5v5 as it just gives you that much more time with your teammates to understand what they're seeing, where they're going, how aggressive they are, when they shoot, etc. and for them to see that about you.

Bruins are in an ideal position with the first line and power play as not only are they incredibly talented but unlike near every other team, they get to play and practice full strength all the time together. It is important.

I definitely agree over the course of a season, but I am just saying try some new combinations (specially if Bjork is called up) for around a 5 game period. I dont think in 5 games or so you're going to see Bergy/Marsh/Pasta lose any chemistry or anything like that. If the new lines work then great, more balance to the team. If they don't, go back to what sorta works.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I see them complaining about the schedule again this year already. I like the fact they see all back to back games as losses. Very positive mindset!

that they’d complain about scheduling at all is fantastic. When they start playing Monday games at noon then they can start *****ing. Not before

They count every back to back as a loss because it forces them to Play Hutchinson, who is not very well regarded. Basically if ANderson is not in the lineup Leafs fans pre-prepare for a loss.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
They count every back to back as a loss because it forces them to Play Hutchinson, who is not very well regarded. Basically if ANderson is not in the lineup Leafs fans pre-prepare for a loss.
Ya I heard them talk about that on the radio. It’s like the concept of starting your backup on the first night has never been thought of before.

Or yknow. Playing good team d to help the guy

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I definitely agree over the course of a season, but I am just saying try some new combinations (specially if Bjork is called up) for around a 5 game period. I dont think in 5 games or so you're going to see Bergy/Marsh/Pasta lose any chemistry or anything like that. If the new lines work then great, more balance to the team. If they don't, go back to what sorta works.

I definitely get that and don't disagree. I just see it posted quite a bit that they do their damage on the power play and people kinda wash over that the power play and 5v5 chemistry kinda go hand-in-hand. I don't know if it would work or not and figure it's worth trying but just wanted to mention something people don't necessarily think about.

It's also kind of an NHL writ large entertainment thing as, like McDavid with Draisatl, that line together simply becomes much watch hockey as it's simply fun. The Bruins could easily be better if they were split up but the NHL would be worse - if that makes sense. I think Dan coined The Perfection Line, if memory serves, and I think the NHL needs that kind of hook. After the WCOH I just wanted to see Sid, Patrice and Brad together for a full season to see what kind of damage they could do - and this is pretty close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany