GDT: Game 79: Edmonton @ Columbus | 1 PM ET

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like our effort, play. Roslovic is hot. I think Nyquist -- Roslovic -- Voracek has very good chemistry. It would be interesting if this line plays such good in the serious games when we fought for PO.
Blankenburg is our the 2nd best d-man. Yes, Gavrikov is still better in defense but only still. Nick plays better under the pressure, has very good hockey vision, skill. He can be new Brian Rafalski for us.

No comment on whether he is better than Gavrikov, but I also can't help think of guys like Rafalski with Blankenburg. We'll see.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I like Blanks and see him as part of our future but I really hope Larsen and jarmo don’t see him as some sort of better offensive player/more important to the future than Boqvist and make a knee jerk trade for move Boq out for him.

Having Peeke, blanks, and boq compete for ice time on the right side, not even including if we bring in a veteran, is the right play.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I like Blanks and see him as part of our future but I really hope Larsen and jarmo don’t see him as some sort of better offensive player/more important to the future than Boqvist and make a knee jerk trade for move Boq out for him.

Having Peeke, blanks, and boq compete for ice time on the right side, not even including if we bring in a veteran, is the right play.
Weird to worry about that, less than zero chance IMO Jarmo would move Boq since he wanted him badly in the Seth deal.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Weird to worry about that, less than zero chance IMO Jarmo would move Boq since he wanted him badly in the Seth deal.
Jarmo also wanted gaborik pretty badly and pulled the chute pretty fast. But gaborik was no spring chicken.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Jarmo also wanted gaborik pretty badly and pulled the chute pretty fast. But gaborik was no spring chicken.
I feel like he will keep Boqvist to keep up the competition and build up the D pipeline - I should say I hope.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

I agree but right now his patience on a spot like the PP is good at times when its struggling. Not unlike when Murray used to get reps. Not a long term solution but good in spurts

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Not so sure about that. I’m not advocating we trade Boqvisit, but if Jarmo can flip him for a player that fills a bigger need, then that would just be an extension of the Jones trade…..Another thought on this: I don’t think it Inconceivable that Jarmo decides either Bean and Boqvist goes in exchange for a bigger, sturdier defensemen who’s more apt to drop the gloves.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Not so sure about that. I’m not advocating we trade Boqvisit, but if Jarmo can flip him for a player that fills a bigger need, then that would just be an extension of the Jones trade…..Another thought on this: I don’t think it Inconceivable that Jarmo decides either Bean and Boqvist goes in exchange for a bigger, sturdier defensemen who’s more apt to drop the gloves.
I agree. It's definitely a need for next season.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
No comment on whether he is better than Gavrikov, but I also can't help think of guys like Rafalski with Blankenburg. We'll see.
It's difficult. Gavrikov is still better in defense, without the puck, around the boards and in the front of the net but he isn't such good with the puck, hasn't such good hockey vision, skating, moving, has problems under pressure. Besides I hate his play with strong players, example games against Wilds.
I don't compare their style but how they get a spot in NHL. Rafalski played to 26 years in Europe, Nick to 24 in NCAA. They didn't be drafted and ones had to hard work to play in NHL. Similar like Danforth but I said about d-men.

Reactions: Hello Johnny

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Wanted to add….no surprises in the three stars today, but a guy who I thought had a solid game was Kukan. his return to ice today might have been one of his better games.

Reactions: VT

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's difficult. Gavrikov is still better in defense, without the puck, around the boards and in the front of the net but he isn't such good with the puck, hasn't such good hockey vision, skating, moving, has problems under pressure. Besides I hate his play with strong players, example games against Wilds.
I don't compare their style but how they get a spot in NHL. Rafalski played to 26 years in Europe, Nick to 24 in NCAA. They didn't be drafted and ones had to hard work to play in NHL. Similar like Danforth but I said about d-men.

I don't think Gavrikov is very good as a puck carrier or passer but he is a fast skater and has good anticipation for when to pinch and jump into the attack. He leads our D in 5v5 points for a reason. I think he makes good decisions.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I can see Boqvist getting stronger and developing into a Barrie/Shattenkirk type of defenseman, but I still wouldn't see that as a core piece for us that we need to cling to. If Boqvist had the skating or vision of a Quinn Hughes type player I would feel differently but I don't see that kind of skill from him. If a GM values him highly in a package deal where the Jackets get an upgrade, then I say you make the move. Don't sell low but if the value is there go for it.

If you bring in a D upgrade and have two more spots for Peeke, Blanks, and Boq to fight over, then I could see Boqvist losing that battle and losing a lot of trade value.

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't think Gavrikov is very good as a puck carrier or passer but he is a fast skater and has good anticipation for when to pinch and jump into the attack. He leads our D in 5v5 points for a reason. I think he makes good decisions.
I didn't write he's slow but Blankenburg is faster and has better moving (skating).
And now look at his points. Especially either a shot or pass for pass. We can ask, how many chances he made for partners? How is his the first pass? How does he play under pressure? Sorry but it's logic like Bjorkie is bad in defense because he has -33+/-.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
=Especially either a shot or pass for pass. We can ask, how many chances he made for partners? How is his the first pass? How does he play under pressure?
Like I said, I think the points are justified. His timing in the offensive zone is really good. Did you see his two minute shift vs Ottawa? He started that shift by creating two very good scoring chances. I think he's a very quick player that makes good decisions. None of this bad under pressure stuff that you've been writing about. I don't see that at all.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If you bring in a D upgrade and have two more spots for Peeke, Blanks, and Boq to fight over, then I could see Boqvist losing that battle and losing a lot of trade value.
I’ll take Boq over Peeke, even though we’d lose a physical edge. However, I know Larsen would go with Peeke.

Blanks is TBD. We’ll get a good look in camp

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Like I said, I think the points are justified. His timing in the offensive zone is really good. Did you see his two minute shift vs Ottawa? He started that shift by creating two very good scoring chances. I think he's a very quick player that makes good decisions. None of this bad under pressure stuff that you've been writing about. I don't see that at all.
Ottawa isn't extra example. Look at his play against teams that play agressive forchecking, hard around the boards, in the front of the net. Besides again I compared him with Blankenburg. Still one thing. You'll note that I also evaluated Laine this way, and I hope you don't think I don't like Patrik. Because of which many Finns and Patrik's fans were angry with me. :)

EDIT: I said that rather unhappily. It was better to say that he is better offensively and not that he is better overall. Of course IMHO.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Blankenburg has looked really good but there's no way that he is making Boqvist expendable. Boqvist is 2 years younger and extremely gifted offensively.

Bean, Kukan, and Carlsson are the odd men out here. If size is added to the defense, it will very likely be by adding a big #6-7 guy. Next season, I think Peeke, Boqvist, and Blankenburg will each get their chances to show they deserve the top-4 minutes beside Werenski and Gavrikov.

The real log jam is at forward.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad