GDT: Game 79: Columbus vs. New York Rangers | 4/4 7PM EDT

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It's a shame that Kukan likely doesn't even make it as a 7th D next season. He's so much better than Prout and Tyutin.

I know I'm going to get quoted and ridiculed for even mentioning him as a 7th D because "ice time in Lake Erie". Yeah, I know he needs ice time rather than sit in the press box. But that's not the point I'm trying to make here :laugh:

Not by me you won't. Despite the limited sample size, he's definitely better than Prout and Golobef. And certainly faster and better with the puck than Tyutin (at this point in his career.
Prout's impersonation of a pylon on that first goal was despicable.

Last edited:

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Nicks postgame end of season speech to the crowd is up on FB but not the CBJ website yet. Pretty underwhelming, but luckily by the looks of it there was only about 7 people there to hear it.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I like how people complaining that the Jackets don't have enough right wingers and at the same time easily put all defensemen in the same bucket. Switching from one side to another is usually easier for forwards than for defensemen. Kukan and Prout are playing different positions basically.

The Jackets might trade Jack Johnson to free up a cap space and a roster spot for Kukan. He was good in every LE/Columbus game I've seen this season.

Yeah I could have written this post. Actually I'm not sure I didn't write this post, except I haven't watched LE all year.

Switching sides is easier for forwards. It's only because they happen to list guys as LW and RW that folks go on about it. If the rosters said "LD" and "RD" we wouldn't have this confusion.

It's harder for d-men to switch temporarily and it's usually harder permanently. You can't casually switch, because you're used to just covering one side. If the puck is in the opposite corner in your end you just cover the front of the net. Meanwhile the forwards will play whatever corner regardless of what winger they line up as. This has been an issue for Savard, Jones, Golo, and Prout lately as Torts has tried some weird RD-RD pairings. They're leaving big gaps on one side because they're straight up confused.

And then even if you get used to playing a side, which should happen eventually, there is a reason you want LD-RD pairings. Picking the puck up in the corner of the d-zone, you have a split second before the forechecker is on top of you. If you're on your forehand facing out of the zone, you can make a good forward pass and start the breakout. If you're on your backhand, as you would be if you're a RHD on the left side, you can't make that play. There's more to it, but that's the biggest reason it has become a priority in recent years.

KlichkoBro*

Reilly would be another

you could MAYBE argue Trouba/Maatta but they've both taken steps back
You could argue Gostisbehere and Parayko as well, but I would take Murray over them easily. The hot s**t from Philly is so overrated it's not even funny. Their fans were insulted when I compared him to Nick Leddy. Murray's already exceeding my expectations after missing 2 years of development.
You player was named among the 4 best North American defensemen under 23 years old and you keep sh**ting on him. Making such global conclusions after one mistake is so primitive.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Nicks postgame end of season speech to the crowd is up on FB but not the CBJ website yet. Pretty underwhelming, but luckily by the looks of it there was only about 7 people there to hear it.

What's he going to say?

"Hey at least I scored".

"We'll try to suck less next year, srsly".

"Hey at least the kids are good".

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Even after tonight, that's $500K per goal for Foligno. Masterful job by Jarmo.

Prout sucked, per usual. Murray and Jones screwed the pooch on the comeback. The tank is back on, biggest game of the season Wednesday in Toronto.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Even after tonight, that's $500K per goal for Foligno. Masterful job by Jarmo.

Prout sucked, per usual. Murray and Jones screwed the pooch on the comeback. The tank is back on, biggest game of the season Wednesday in Toronto.
Foligno won't always be a 31 goal scorer, and he won't always be an 11 goal scorer. Last season he was extremely effective on the power play and this year he was non-existent there in terms of actually scoring.

Throw 6-7 more goals his way via PP (which isn't unreasonable because he had 11 last year (0 this year)) and he's on a ~50 point pace per 82 games. No increase in assists. Just handful of goals and he's right around where we expect him to be for the duration of his contract.

He's had an unlucky year. He'll bounce back.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Lindholm...and?????

IMO, you can make an argument for Reilly, Lindholm, Maattaa, Gostisbehere, and I know its early but Colton parayko looks damn good.

I'm not totally down on Murray, but I just find myself underwhelmed more often than not. I don't see the competitive fire in him. I'm just glad we have a few other dmen to hopefully fill that franchise role since I don't see it being Ryan Murray. Which does not mean i think he's a bum or a bust.

Plus i was at the game tonight and was still kinda pissed after watching him gift that empty netter on the 6 on 4 when i posted that. The 2 hour drive home has calmed me down a bit.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Thats his speech from tonight.

Let's compare it to last years...

Jeez...time changes alot

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
You could argue Gostisbehere and Parayko as well, but I would take Murray over them easily. The hot s**t from Philly is so overrated it's not even funny. Their fans were insulted when I compared him to Nick Leddy. Murray's already exceeding my expectations after missing 2 years of development.
You player was named among the 4 best North American defensemen under 23 years old and you keep sh**ting on him. Making such global conclusions after one mistake is so primitive.

I agree with you on this concerning Murray. People need to realize, that D-men, are at times going to make a mistake. And sometimes an opposing player will make a good play to beat them. Hell, even a Shea Webber is going to make mistakes here and there.

Prout, on the other hand, is a fricking train wreck. Funny, every time that bone head makes a mistake my wife looks at me to see my reaction. After his first big one that led to the first goal she looked at me, and I told her if she looks at me every time that knucklehead makes a mistake, she isn't going to be watching much of the game.

If they really re-signed this guy as an enforcer, then they really just don't care about how many games we are going to lose because of him.

Look, Prout may be the nicest guy in the world, but he is just not an NHL caliber defense-man.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
In reading the comments over the last few games, I think the CBJ faithful have such a low opinion of our current roster that every time we bring someone up from the LEM's, they're by default better than the players we currently have.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Yet unfortunately our FO thinks he is, and enough to give a raise to. Just when we thought we were going to be rid of Boll's terrible contract soon, JK extended it (and then some) with signing Prout

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Whatever your context-free reason for booing him is... I'd be happy to refute it

Here's some.

1. He was perceived as lazy here. Not caring.

2. Since he requested out, and was the captain, people think he quit on the organization.

3. Once he finally got traded, he got his tribute video from the CBJ franchise his first game back, he never acknowledged the video (As in, put his hand up or stand up.)

4. The whole Bobrovsky thing as well as the fight with Calvert. Most people didn't boo until this happened.

That's just the first things that came to mind. I'm sure there's more. I don't boo him, however, I'm not going to get mad at the people who do because its certainly justified.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Here's some.

1. He was perceived as lazy here. Not caring.

2. Since he requested out, and was the captain, people think he quit on the organization.

3. Once he finally got traded, he got his tribute video from the CBJ franchise his first game back, he never acknowledged the video (As in, put his hand up or stand up.)

4. The whole Bobrovsky thing as well as the fight with Calvert. Most people didn't boo until this happened.

That's just the first things that came to mind. I'm sure there's more. I don't boo him, however, I'm not going to get mad at the people who do because its certainly justified.

Thats it. Most people who still carry a flame for Nash seem to forget that when the Nash tribute video was shown that very night, he got far more applauds than boos. It wasn't until the dustup with him and Bob that people booed him.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/03/22/nash-fights-former-teammate-calvert.html

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Bob's the one that started that by slahsing the stick out of his hand IIRC, i'd of gone after him as well

That's not exactly what happened, but yeah Bob was culpable for sure. Nash let go of his stick, and it was tangled with Bob's. As Nash went to reach for it, Bob "tossed" it away, which Nash took issue with. Whether Bob was just disgusted and felt like ridding himself of the extra stick (possible) or if he saw Nash reach for it and tossed it away to antagonize him (likely IMO)... of course, Nash had just crashed the crease. But, as BJN says, I think if a goalie had done that to a CBJ player, we'd have been OK with the retaliation.

What we learn from this is that the Jackets to not win "karmic justice" games. Which sort of kills the idea of karmic justice.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Thats right, couldnt remember exactly how it happened, but remembered Bob playing just as much a part of it. And exactly true, someone does that to a Jackets player and I would expect the same response.

Nash did a lot for this city, far more good than bad. We sucked, mightily during his time, and quite frankly, its never gotten much better, so if he stuck around, we may actually be worse since we got some key pieces for him. But trying to boo him every time he touches the puck, almost 5 years post, is as jilted lover as it gets

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
That's not exactly what happened, but yeah Bob was culpable for sure. Nash let go of his stick, and it was tangled with Bob's. As Nash went to reach for it, Bob "tossed" it away, which Nash took issue with. Whether Bob was just disgusted and felt like ridding himself of the extra stick (possible) or if he saw Nash reach for it and tossed it away to antagonize him (likely IMO)... of course, Nash had just crashed the crease. But, as BJN says, I think if a goalie had done that to a CBJ player, we'd have been OK with the retaliation.

What we learn from this is that the Jackets to not win "karmic justice" games. Which sort of kills the idea of karmic justice.

Thats right, couldnt remember exactly how it happened, but remembered Bob playing just as much a part of it. And exactly true, someone does that to a Jackets player and I would expect the same response.

Nash did a lot for this city, far more good than bad. We sucked, mightily during his time, and quite frankly, its never gotten much better, so if he stuck around, we may actually be worse since we got some key pieces for him. But trying to boo him every time he touches the puck, almost 5 years post, is as jilted lover as it gets

There is still more to it though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBGHtLb7kJ8

Booing him because he left town, while I disagree with that reasoning, whatever, that's their right as paying fans. I have no issues booing him because he shoved our goalie in the face, or started **** with Calvert, what else is to be expected?

And yes, if the roles were reversed I would be booing still, just from the opposite perspective because, well, fan.

I'm not arguing against any position (other than calling fans 'dummies'), just showing why some might boo. I just think most of the booing stems from this incident though. I also think people just like to boo. Pronger got booed every time he touched the puck when he visited here and I can't think of any reason for it other than people saw others doing it so they did it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad