Post-Game Talk: GAME #79 - B's look bored - Detroit 6 BRUINS 3 F

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
On the other side of things both Leafs and Bruins have tough schedules coming up with the Leafs having a game in hand. We could easily lose home ice in the 1st round and more then likely in the ECF to Washington if the team continues to play like we've seen. I wouldnt want to rely on both Washington and more importantly Toronto losing out. . So I wouldn't say the games mean absolutely nothing.

easily?

I suppose some people find it easy to part the red sea... some find it easy to turn water into wine... some people probably find new math easy too

but im not sure what math you believe in to think its easy for Toronto to collect more than 6 of a possible 8 points while watching us lose every single point

I mean if we accidently win a single game or if they continue to suck and lose even a single game in regulation... poof theres goes their easily achieved miricle of catching us

I suppose if we were talking new math... we could together come to some imagination where this was a real thing, but it wouldnt be easy

Reactions: gillesgilbert

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Honestly, with the forwards, I'm not sure what the best lineup is.

We know that Marchand & Bergeron and DeBrusk & Krejci will be paired together, and that Coyle will be the 3rd line C. That leaves 4 spots, three of which will be filled by Pastrnak, Johansson, and Heinen. I think the key is figuring out two things first. Where does Johansson fit and who does Coyle play the best with?

Pastrnak is either 1st or 2nd line RW. Heinen is either 1st line RW or 3rd line LW. Johansson is either 2nd line RW or 3rd line LW.

I think the two options are:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Johansson
Heinen-Coyle-Wagner/Backes
Nordstrom-Acciari-Backes/Wagner

or

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Johansson-Coyle-Wagner/Backes

If I'm being honest, I'd like to find a place for Kuhlman, but I don't expect it unless there's another injury. (knocks on wood)

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
true 5-5

less than ideal... and frustrating for us fans to watch

leafs are 3-5-2

what can we learn by these records?

the playoff games will be played and the records in the past 10 games will mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

we have home ice advantage.. grateful for that. they are hoping to get healthy. we are too. both teams will nee a hot goalie and a few lucky bounces.

but all-in-all we have the 3rd best record in nhl. theres more to be happy about then complain about for us bruin fans today {you wouldnt always know It from these forum posts though}

The goaltending being bad right now is less than ideal though. Goalies are streaky, you want yours playing well going into the playoffs.

Reactions: lopey and Emerz

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
David Backes is our Jake Taylor
I was so disappointed. I PVR'd Major League from AMC over christmas and finally started to watch it yesterday, They took out "f" words. It's not the same movie. "Look at this 'funny' guy." "That's great Hayes, don't ever 'never' do it again". :(

Reactions: BMC and CDJ

sportsvg

Dec 24, 2014
Ontario
This happens every year to the top teams, the bottom feeders bring in a bunch of AHL players and tell them to fight for their jobs/contracts and the top team are just playing it out for year end position. I'm not concerned at all, our leadership group is strong and they will be ready, I just pray for no injuries and a confident Tuukka coming into game one.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The goaltending being bad right now is less than ideal though. Goalies are streaky, you want yours playing well going into the playoffs.

100% agreed on that

but goaltending is the trickiest of all positions to predict

only last year we saw holtby lose his job the last couple weeks of the season... not reclaim it as his team lost the first 2 games of round 1... and then win his first cup

we saw Pittsburgh get rid of fleury because they say he isnt a playoff goalie... and then he takes an expansion team to the finals

if any of us knew for sure how to tell if a goalie would be hot or not at playoff time... theres a good paying job awaiting us in the nhl

luckily we got 2 guys capable of getting hot and both had strong seasons
we might be ok in that reguard

Reactions: bruins19

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Honestly, with the forwards, I'm not sure what the best lineup is.

We know that Marchand & Bergeron and DeBrusk & Krejci will be paired together, and that Coyle will be the 3rd line C. That leaves 4 spots, three of which will be filled by Pastrnak, Johansson, and Heinen. I think the key is figuring out two things first. Where does Johansson fit and who does Coyle play the best with?

Pastrnak is either 1st or 2nd line RW. Heinen is either 1st line RW or 3rd line LW. Johansson is either 2nd line RW or 3rd line LW.

I think the two options are:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Johansson
Heinen-Coyle-Wagner/Backes

or

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Johansson-Coyle-Wagner/Backes

If I'm being honest, I'd like to find a place for Kuhlman, but I don't expect it unless there's another injury. (knocks on wood)

if I could run the bench for a game and test some theries… my lineup for the next game would be...

Heinen/Bergeron/marchand

{I think that Bergeron/marchand just try harder when they cant rely on pastrnak to help them... this line needs to be defensive responsible and it is when Heinen is their 3rd wheel}

pastrnak/krejci/Johansson

{Johansson should be on left side for 1 of the top 3 lines... has debrusk really benefitted from playing with krejci? krejci is a east west guy and debrusk crashes the net north south|

wagner/coyle/debrusk

{people will freak at me saying debrusk should be on 3rd line... I answer them I want 3 lines that can play. putting guys who can play on the 3rd line is a good thing}

and then I only dress 2 additional forwards who can rotate depending who is giving me the good efforts... I want 7 dmen dressed instead of 12 forwards

if kuraly gets healthy he can be the 10th forward and then maybe backes gets first crack at 11th forward but only keeps the job if he produces

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If it slows down and gets grindy like playoff games tend to do, he'll do well. If it is a run and gun show, yeah, he's doomed.

I like Backes and want to see him succeed as much as anyone, but I just see to many limitations in his game. He's fine in the O-Zone when he's in front of the net screening or deflecting shots, his speed or lack of there-of really hurts his puck pursuit and fore-checking game. He will win some board battles but not enough, because he just can't get there.

He maybe best in the neutral zone as his big body and quick passes and decision making helps get the bruins into the offensive zone, but unfortunately I don't fore-see an up-tick in his production come playoff time. I do hope I'm wrong and maybe he'll be the lightning in the bottle the Bruins so badly need if their going to make it past the second round.

Reactions: Dr Hook

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
100% agreed on that

but goaltending is the trickiest of all positions to predict

only last year we saw holtby lose his job the last couple weeks of the season... not reclaim it as his team lost the first 2 games of round 1... and then win his first cup

we saw Pittsburgh get rid of fleury because they say he isnt a playoff goalie... and then he takes an expansion team to the finals

if any of us knew for sure how to tell if a goalie would be hot or not at playoff time... theres a good paying job awaiting us in the nhl

luckily we got 2 guys capable of getting hot and both had strong seasons
we might be ok in that reguard

Run me through the scenario you see where Halak plays playoff hockey for us and we're not doomed.

Do you see Halak starting a game in any scenario other than us being down 0-3 or 1-3? I don't see how he's gonna play, but maybe I'm missing something.

To me we're gonna sink or swim with Rask, period.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I don’t like our third line.
I don’t like how with one week to go in the year we actually don’t know who is playing on 3 of their lines.

But yes, I agree with you to a point. Any of Heinen, Coyle, Backes, Mojo should be able to form something competent out there.

It’s when Cassidy starts rolling out Kuhlman on line 2 and Wagner on line 3 that I wonder if he’s mildly concussed.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Run me through the scenario you see where Halak plays playoff hockey for us and we're not doomed.

Do you see Halak starting a game in any scenario other than us being down 0-3 or 1-3? I don't see how he's gonna play, but maybe I'm missing something.

seems likely you are correct... but obviously the threat of injury will loom like a sword over the head of most teams... we seem better prepared for that nightmare then most

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on

Rask is definitely getting the start, there is no question about that. But if(when) Rask shits his pants again, Halak will take over. I’m not sure when, or for how long, but I think it’s going to happen. I really don’t care if does, or doesn’t. I just want to win!

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
I not concerned about the game, or the result, they get second seed still... I do have a question though, are we all still pretending to be happy with what Coyle has brought so far? Are we allowed to criticize a little now?
Coyle show nice moves who can make you fell wow ...but zero finish , he make great play and finish it with a so weak shot....he is not the type of center for a third line...not a grinder , nothing special in defense.
I was not upset we traded donato..i was upset we got nothing for him

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I was so disappointed. I PVR'd Major League from AMC over christmas and finally started to watch it yesterday, They took out "f" words. It's not the same movie. "Look at this 'funny' guy." "That's great Hayes, don't ever 'never' do it again". :(

Trying watching "Raging Bull" with F-bombs removed.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
easily?

I suppose some people find it easy to part the red sea... some find it easy to turn water into wine... some people probably find new math easy too

but im not sure what math you believe in to think its easy for Toronto to collect more than 6 of a possible 8 points while watching us lose every single point

I mean if we accidently win a single game or if they continue to suck and lose even a single game in regulation... poof theres goes their easily achieved miricle of catching us

I suppose if we were talking new math... we could together come to some imagination where this was a real thing, but it wouldnt be easy

You seem to have missed my "easily lose home ice if the Bruins continue to play like they have been. "

Leafs beat a good isles team last night, bruins have 2/3 games against playoff teams and a mediocre wild team. If they play like they did against the Wings and the Panthers they will lose all three of those games. At this point I will be happy if they beat the Wild and get a point out of one of Columbus/Tampa. That should give them home ice assuming the leafs don't win the next 3. Leafs also have the ROW tie breaker by a game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad