GDT: Game 79: Avs @ Ducks | Sunday, April 1st, 7pm MT | Of Course

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I missed the game doing some Easter celebration with friends but I popped into the Ducks GDT to see how they were feeling about their prospects and they were absolutely apoplectic acting like Avs fans in this GDT personally murdered a member of their family.

Did the game get pretty chippy to get peoples' hackles up?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I thought MacKinnon was actually pretty bad. The break for the game-tying goal started as a direct result of a horrid turnover from him in the neutral zone. And it wasn't just him, a bunch of Avs were just barely getting it out of the zone and then weakly dumping it right to the Anaheim blueliners. The poor performance of the power play once the team went up 3-1 was also inexcusable.

Okay, negative part over...I get this team is banged up, sick, and full of rookies who are just plain worn out (though Jost and Kerfoot are getting a second wind of sorts at a very opportune time), so while blowing a 2-goal lead in the 3rd and then losing in OT is pretty gawdawful no matter how you cut it, but the fact remains if they win out they still control their own destiny with games against the two teams they're battling with for a spot.

Bernier was more than okay. I wouldn't call the third goal "horrendous," certainly not great when you're pinging a rebound that big right up the middle but that goal wouldn't have mattered had the Avs continued to press and gotten a couple more. Instead they once again sat on a lead and paid for it.
I don’t know how that goal is anything other than horrendous. The Ducks put a soft shot from the boards on net and he couldn’t catch it. There should never have been a rebound, let alone one right in the slot.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don’t know how that goal is anything other than horrendous. The Ducks put a soft shot from the boards on net and he couldn’t catch it. There should never have been a rebound, let alone one right in the slot.
I thought Barrie could've done a better job there limiting his space and time to prevent the shot from the first place. It was an awful rebound and something Bernier needs to do better, but Barrie gave him all the space in the world like he was defending in an NBA game.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
What a hideous shower of cloggers the Ducks are. I enjoyed that rat Kesler injuring his own goalie with his plastic hard man act against Landeskog.

Reactions: cgf and Murzu

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, that 3rd goal is all Bernier. That shot should be in the glove and we get a whistle, not smack dab in the slot to a Ducks forward coming in hard. That said, they went full turtle again in the 3rd and didn't deserve 2 points.

You just knew after watching the PP to start the 3rd period that the team was going to suck, and they did. Blows my mind these flat 3rd periods they continue to have.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
If you could somehow combine Varly's ability to make saves when he sees the puck, and Bernier's ability to find it through traffic, you'd have one hell of a goalie.

I thought Bernier stopped a lot of shots through traffic without allowing the rebounds that are usually there. I'd like Berny to have stopped one more shot in the third, but I also would have liked the Avs to have done a damn thing with their power play. Or maybe not sit back and let the Ducks run the table in the majority of the second half of the game.

Lol you would have motivated and healthy Carey Price.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I recommend reading the Ducks GDT, it is so wonderful and filled with an endless amount of triggers. I don't know why they're so obsessed with us, yet kept calling us irrelevant...

Reactions: cgf

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I recommend reading the Ducks GDT, it is so wonderful and filled with an endless amount of triggers. I don't know why they're so obsessed with us, yet kept calling us irrelevant...
Ducks fans are delusional. They're so confused as to why every team's fan base can't stand them/their team and truly do not think their team is filled with dirty players.

It's like they're living in their own bubble.

I mean, from the entire GDT I think there were maybe two posters that recognized Gibson getting hurt was because Ryan Kesler decided to be an idiot and cross check Landeskog right into him. The rest just flat out blamed Landeskog.

Reactions: cgf and McMetal

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ducks fans are delusional. They're so confused as to why every team's fan base can't stand them/their team and truly do not think their team is filled with dirty players.

It's like they're living in their own bubble.

I mean, from the entire GDT I think there were maybe two posters that recognized Gibson getting hurt was because Ryan Kesler decided to be an idiot and cross check Landeskog right into him. The rest just flat out blamed Landeskog.
No doubt, it's hilariously hypocritical that a team which employs Kezler, Perry, Bieksa, Manson, and Ritchie is somehow less dirty as a combination to Landeskog and Tyson freakin' Barrie.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO

Just went and read, wow really they think the Avs are a dirty team hey? Lol they said they need to call up all their goons against us next time and how Ritchie needs to take out Zadorov and things like that.

I always liked the Ducks because my brother is a huge fan but man they come off sounding delusional, idiot Kesler injured his own goalie and they call for Landys head.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I did something I don't usually do -- I looked into their GDT.
Just the last couple of pages.
Wow.
Wish nothing but misfortune on that team.
Won't comment on the HFDuck posters...

Reactions: cgf and dahrougem2

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ugh...I've despised that franchise ever since their insipid Disney-inspired inception. The lone time I ever rooted for those guys was when Babcock and J-S Giguere led that piecemeal roster to the Finals, of course they were taking on the Wings and later the Devils, so it was easy to root for them in light of that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I thought Barrie could've done a better job there limiting his space and time to prevent the shot from the first place. It was an awful rebound and something Bernier needs to do better, but Barrie gave him all the space in the world like he was defending in an NBA game.

He gave him all that space because he stopped skating to whack at the puck in the air and missed. If he would have played the man instead of the puck, he would have been in position to block the shot.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
The more I watch that 3rd goal the less I understand how Bernier managed to mess it up so spectacularly.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The more I watch that 3rd goal the less I understand how Bernier managed to mess it up so spectacularly.

Eh, his rebound control has been an issue all season, even during the 10-game streak. That one was a doozy though, took a bad-angled shot and deflected it right up the gut.

But I'll also add that I have no earthly idea what the Avs are doing sometimes when it comes to defensive coverage. No idea what Landeskog was doing on that one. Definitely something the coaches need to work on for next season.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I did something I don't usually do -- I looked into their GDT.
Just the last couple of pages.
Wow.
Wish nothing but misfortune on that team.
Won't comment on the HFDuck posters...

Yeah. When we faced them earlier this season and Barrie was injured, they were asking who to send flower baskets to as a thank you. Horrible team, horrible fans.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Eh, his rebound control has been an issue all season, even during the 10-game streak. That one was a doozy though, took a bad-angled shot and deflected it right up the gut.

But I'll also add that I have no earthly idea what the Avs are doing sometimes when it comes to defensive coverage. No idea what Landeskog was doing on that one. Definitely something the coaches need to work on for next season.

I disagree on Berny's rebound control, especially during that stretch. Hes much better than Varly at two things as a whole. Rebounds, and reading shots through traffic. If you think differently you're focusing on a few plays far too much IMO.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I disagree on Berny's rebound control, especially during that stretch. Hes much better than Varly at two things as a whole. Rebounds, and reading shots through traffic. If you think differently you're focusing on a few plays far too much IMO.

Ohhhh I dunno, I thought he coughed up quite a few even when he was playing well, the Avs just did a good job of clearing them. He's no Brian "Human Pinball Paddle" Elliott, but I thought he ricocheted quite a few. I know Varly's rebound control is a bit iffy at times but I feel like both guys were worse at it on nights they had to shake off a lot of rust, which Bernier definitely had to do last night. I'll respectfully disagree on Varly being "much" worse than Berns on rebounds though.

As far as reading shots through traffic, I'll defer to you on that one as I really haven't paid much attention to that in terms of comparison. I think at least, the Avs are decent about not blocking shots and letting their goalie see it. They're just not a shot-blocking team, which I actually think is a good thing.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ohhhh I dunno, I thought he coughed up quite a few even when he was playing well, the Avs just did a good job of clearing them. He's no Brian "Human Pinball Paddle" Elliott, but I thought he ricocheted quite a few. I know Varly's rebound control is a bit iffy at times but I feel like both guys were worse at it on nights they had to shake off a lot of rust, which Bernier definitely had to do last night. I'll respectfully disagree on Varly being "much" worse than Berns on rebounds though.

As far as reading shots through traffic, I'll defer to you on that one as I really haven't paid much attention to that in terms of comparison. I think at least, the Avs are decent about not blocking shots and letting their goalie see it. They're just not a shot-blocking team, which I actually think is a good thing.

Speaking of shot blocking I hate how Nemeth turns at the last second blocking shots. He turns right out of the lane half the time, and I've seen the puck go right in the net multiple times in those instances.

Watch Berny for the rebound stuff. Hes good at using his blocker, and the puck does not bobble in front of him much when hes on his game. The times I feel like hes actually controlling it is when you see his eyes follow the puck to contact and then away from him as he moves. You just don't see that as often with Varly. I'm not saying hes all world at it, but to throw it out as a weakness, especially during that run isn't a fair evaluation IMO.

In the end I just think it comes down to Berny being quite a bit better at tracking the puck overall, but he does not have Varly's reaction time/speed.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Speaking of shot blocking I hate how Nemeth turns at the last second blocking shots. He turns right out of the lane half the time, and I've seen the puck go right in the net multiple times in those instances.

Watch Berny for the rebound stuff. Hes good at using his blocker, and the puck does not bobble in front of him much when hes on his game. The times I feel like hes actually controlling it is when you see his eyes follow the puck to contact and then away from him as he moves. You just don't see that as often with Varly. I'm not saying hes all world at it, but to throw it out as a weakness, especially during that run isn't a fair evaluation IMO.

Oh I hear ya...I blasted him for that recently. There's also been a few times he's either just plain screened the goalie or it deflected in off of him. One of many reasons I just think the Avs need to move on next season (even though I think he's played fine the last couples games).

I'll have to take a look at what you're saying in terms of tracking and rebound control. I freely admit I know next to nothing about goaltending. Tried it once and only once when I was six in practice and had such a miserable time (I literally couldn't move the stick unless I kicked it) I never wanted to try it again :laugh:.

I think you'll agree though that Varly is worlds better than Bernier in one arena--breakaways.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Have to disagree Cobra. Bernie's had rebound issues a lot this year. Even when he's playing great, he'd leave unnecessary rebounds sitting right in the slot. It's the one thing he's had a problem with this year. He's been burned a couple times because of it, but got lucky on others. This time he got unlucky because it went right to Kesler.

I'm less upset at the rebound from a bad angle shot with traffic distracting him, than I am at the shot getting through to begin with. Never should have happened. Same with Nate turning the puck over at the blueline. I have no idea why he didn't just pass to Mikko there. He must have seen him.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Have to disagree Cobra. Bernie's had rebound issues a lot this year. Even when he's playing great, he'd leave unnecessary rebounds sitting right in the slot. It's the one thing he's had a problem with this year. He's been burned a couple times because of it, but got lucky on others. This time he got unlucky because it went right to Kesler.

I'm less upset at the rebound from a bad angle shot with traffic distracting him, than I am at the shot getting through to begin with. Never should have happened. Same with Nate turning the puck over at the blueline. I have no idea why he didn't just pass to Mikko there. He must have seen him.

I think it's one of those things that does not get noticed until it fails. I don't have fancy numbers or anything to back it up, so I'll agree to disagree on this one. Just keep in mind I'm not advocating that he's elite at it. Or else he'd be a #1 goalie. Rebound control, and seeing the puck through traffic isn't something that is difficult to look good at along side Varly though lol.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think it's one of those things that does not get noticed until it fails. I don't have fancy numbers or anything to back it up, so I'll agree to disagree on this one. Just keep in mind I'm not advocating that he's elite at it. Or else he'd be a #1 goalie. Rebound control, and seeing the puck through traffic isn't something that is difficult to look good at along side Varly though lol.

Yeah, I'm not saying he's been awful at it either. I said a lot, but that's probably an overstatement. It's just been an issue every now and then.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, I'm not saying he's been awful at it either. I said a lot, but that's probably an overstatement. It's just been an issue every now and then.

That's what happens when non goalies talk about goalies lol. It's like trying to discuss how much of Harry Potter is real life while living in the Matrix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad