GDT: Game 78: Hawks @ Avs | Friday, March 30th, 7pm MT | Pray For Me

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I don't know how that's relevant to Avs not getting any help from other teams for their playoff chances, not to mention injury after injury to key players at this time of the year. Just so damn unlucky
You said they were the unluckiest team in the league. There are lots of other examples of bad luck.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
We lost Varly during and EJ before the game while the Ducks just won their game ... in OT.

We can do whatever we want but we are not going to make the Playoffs - it's just not meant to be.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Really don't think losing Varlamov is the death sentence some people are making it seem. Neither is losing EJ. As valuable as those players are, we have other players like Bernier and Barrie who have proven to be very good at stepping up in their absence this year.

At this point, it's not going to be poor defense or goaltending that will sink us. The Avs just need to score goals. If they can keep doing that, I could see them even winning out. Hopefully this game shook them out of their funk there and they keep it up.

Call me optimistic to the point of delusional, but I think they make it. They've rallied around injuries before.

Reactions: cgf

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Great, Avs battle their way so close to the playoffs, just to have AHL superstar Tomas Jurco recklessly drive the net late in a 4-0 game on a non playoff team, lose his edge, and take out our goaltender’s leg. Thanks a lot Jurcass.

Was feeling so optimistic up till that point, but that just leaves a terrible taste in the mouth. I don’t even want to talk about the potential positive implications that first period from Semyon Varlamov, or the negative ones losing him might have. Haynes was spot on. Shades of Patrick Roy in that performance bailing out his team when they needed it the most. Outstanding stuff from him.

Tyson Barrie with a whale of a game at both ends of the ice. We saw in 2013-14 that his lackadaisical demeanor can serve him well in pressure packed games, and it did again tonight. Two huge clutch saves to swipe the puck away from the net, a bomb from the point for a goal, and a picture perfect one touch pass to Jost for the nail in the coffin to the Hawks.

Great to see Jost show his high skill level, and clutch ability, and bury that goal upstairs. Perfect time to breakout of his slump.

Avs burned up all their good karma with the refs in this one. Both refs completely swallowed their whistles in the first period, and I’m glad they did. They let go five or six calls that normally are close to automatics this year. If ever they needed it, it was tonight though.

JT Compher take a bow. Finally some of that hockey spirit this team has been missing the last few years. Well done kid. Doesn’t take any crap from anyone, even when they’re 6’4” 212 lbs. Compher’s listed at 6’0” 194 lbs, but Im not buying it. I think both of those numbers are a little generous. Realizes he just dropped the gloves against a much bigger guy and still out competes him for the takedown.

Andrighetto with the biggest goal of the year for sure in the first. Avs getting totally outplayed, power play doing absolutely nothing, and he takes the puck to the net all by himself with a gorgeous move around the defenseman, and a legit hockey compete kind of finish to bury the puck upstairs, while his body was completely contorted seven ways till Sunday.

Great work by Bednar ripping into the team on the bench in the first. If he was gonna forgo his usual zen disposition, it was that moment. Didn't necessarily get them to play better, but it woke them up. I think their problem lately isn't a lack of effort, it's gripping the sticks too tight, and letting the pressure get to them. They needed to relax, and Ghetto and Barrie's goal helped them do that.

The team looked like they took an emotional hit when they realized EJ wasn’t good to go. Varly bailed them out again. I think I might have taken a loss and a healthy Varlamov, over a win and an injured one though. Come on hockey gods, don’t do us, or Varly like that. Let us have nice things for once.

Last edited:
Reactions: VikingAv

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'm not overly devastated with EJ's injury. The team proved it can win without him. And as I believe Mars said, it has a lot to do with the fact that they don't mix up the pairing too much when either he or Ty are out.

Reactions: Foppberg and Murzu

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We lost Varly during and EJ before the game while the Ducks just won their game ... in OT.

We can do whatever we want but we are not going to make the Playoffs - it's just not meant to be.

You say this as though losing EJ isn't a good thing because it takes the reigns off of #1 dman Tyson Barrie.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kinda surprised more people aren't putting Tomas Jurco on blast for a stupid and reckless play after the game was well out of hand.

Good to see Ghetto tearing it up, just seeing him take control once the puck landed on his stick was really something. That trade is looking like sheer brilliance right now, especially given that Andreas Martinsen was playing for the other team and was pretty much a non-factor.

Soderberg is definitely not 100%, he looked even slower than usual and didn't engage physically like he usually does. Hope this stupid flu bug makes its way out of the lineup and soon.

Also, the third pairing of Alt-Wars wasn't bad at all. Except for one silly miscommunication behind the net I thought they were fine.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Jurco was trying to split the D and ran out of racetrack. Nothing wrong with skating in a lost game. He's an NHL tweener trying to earn himself a future contract, I can't blame him for pushing to make an impression on people that will keep him in the league.

It looks like he tried to twist himself out of the way to avoid hitting him squarely, too. I'd be a little more upset if he had put his shoulder into Varly's helmet and concussed him.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I get people are mad, but I can't believe people are blaming Jurco. The dude lost an edge, it happens. It's not like he skated straight into Varlamov and lowered his shoulder into him.

Reactions: klozge and cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad