GDT: Game 78: Columbus vs. Washington | 4/2 6PM

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd like to give Murray another summer to try and turn it around. And put him back with Jones.

Werenski - Savard
Murray - Jones

See how that works (assuming JJ to LV).

But, I'm confident in our D depth too. Obviously if one of the big 3 go down we've got a problem - remember when Savard was hurt and goals against was 4 per game? But if we can keep a good veteran like Quincey around then it looks pretty good with several young guys like Nuti, Harry, Gavi, Carlsson that could potentially contribute. Murray is not essential.

To me that is the key. You have to look at the whole team and not focus on one guy.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
We did see retaliation last night. I don't know what folks are talking about. There were several incidents, Hartnell flattened Orlov, Foligno went at Holtby, Anderson had a pseudo-fight with Ovi. Of course Ovi only threw once Anderson was tied up, that's as close as you'll get to a fight with Ovi. Boll wouldn't be fast enough to land a hit. I'd love to have Prout back for a few minutes there, but it's not like we have a lack of toughness that would justify having Prout's awful play the rest of the time. The Jackets are still one of the leagues toughest teams.

Josh Anderson is basically who the Caps wish Tom Wilson could be. They're the same player except Anderson can score. :laugh:

Did you see the video of Ovi using the butt end of his stick on Anderson's nose with his teammate holding Anderson?

https://www.facebook.com/cabaline16/videos/10155001207070520/

major major

Feb 18, 2013

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
I hope youre not trying to say that Anderson isn't tough enough. Against two guys - one of them 240 lb Ovi - he did well. Only one guy in the league can take on that fight and win. He plays defence for the Jets.

Not at all Anderson is plenty tough. I'm saying Ovi's actions here are bush league. Sucker punch a guy with the butt end of your stick then quickly drop the stick so the ref doesn't see. Then topping it off with the little nose gesture, classless.

Don't know if the tweet I saw

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154999342175520&set=gm.1865390063703163&type=3&theater

was tied to Ovi or Caps but that was the final straw. If we meet them again it will be a very interesting series

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Why do I bother coming on here. You just don't get it. Of course I don't think Boll added anything offensively or is the reason they have 100 points. But he's the reason people aren't targeting their star players. Can any one say with a straight face they haven't seen an increase in our stars getting crushed by dirty plays? Bjorkstrand, Dubi, Wennberg all hit from behind. Bob is bumped multiple times per game now. Werenski is run every shift. Jones is targeted. Atkinson has been injured. You guys cool with this? If so, I'll shut up. This has nothing to do with Boll or Prout- good riddance to them both, but we need to get someone in here to settle things down.

I do understand your point but perhaps be a little clearer next time, especially given your post history. You've had a certain... point of view, often revolving around Boller.

But as much as I hate to admit it I agree. We have been abused lately. There's been too many cheap hits that never should have happened. I want these boys to be able to play with their families, to say nothing of lacing them up for years to come. Something's gotta change.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Ducks had more points last year without Boll.

Fighting majors in the NHL this year, the bottom 5 teams are Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Rangers and Carolina. Take from that what you will.

Hits per game:

1)Kings-out of playoffs
2)Ducks
3)Coyotes-out of playoffs
4)Sens ???
5)Islanders-out of playoffs
6)Philly-out of playoffs
25)Jackets-100 pts
26)Sharks-100 pts
27)Flames-95 pts
28)Vancouver-out
29)Wild-100 pts
30)Chicago-110 pts

Pretty clear that, all-in-all, the big tough teams stink.

Hits, for the most part, are a function of NOT having the puck. The Jackets were 8th last year. Same coach. Bad teams hit more because their opponents are possessing the puck more than they are. It's not that the big and tough stink. It's those without the puck who stink.

Many of the CBJ are, well, anti physical. Saad, Wennberg, Karlsson, Gagner, Atkinson, Murray, Werenski, Nutivaara, and Bjorkstrand are all soft as butter. Most of them nauseatingly so.

Of the forwards, only Dubinsky, Foligno and Hartwell are tough. Anderson, Calvert and Jenner are middle-of-the roaders. Quincy might be tough. Johnson and Savard can be but aren't inclined to be. Jones lacks chippiness, but he certainly isn't a Murray or Werenski. Collectively the Jackets aren't very tough and might find themselves getting seriously pushed around in the more physical playoffs. We'll see.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm half tempted to paste CR's post to the Pens board just to get some laughs. Every fanbase seemingly has this panic over toughness. What's interesting is that, for many teams, the question seems to be "are we tough enough to play Jenner, Anderson, and the Jackets?" They'd get a kick out of seeing the panic on this side of things.

That part about Jenner and Anderson not being tough is pure parody.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
maxresdefault.jpg

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm half tempted to paste CR's post to the Pens board just to get some laughs. Every fanbase seemingly has this panic over toughness. What's interesting is that, for many teams, the question seems to be "are we tough enough to play Jenner, Anderson, and the Jackets?" They'd get a kick out of seeing the panic on this side of things.

That part about Jenner and Anderson not being tough is pure parody.

I called them middle of the road, Chief. And that's what they are.

Now implying that the CBJ are tough-that's real parody:laugh:

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
At the Carolina game I had a local who seemed very knowledgeable about hockey ask me if I liked Saad now that he played for the Jackets? I said sure but I didn't dislike him before. He told me that Saad had taken several cheap shots at Canes and that he was a dirty player. I asked if he meant Dubi and he said no it was definitely Saad. Its really funny to hear who is tough and who is dirty depending on which team you follow.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
This year Quincey > Harrington > Murray > Nuti.

Murray had a couple good weeks in February, I think, before he fell apart again.

Potential is a different story, he might turn it around next year.

I'd prefer Harry to Murray.

MM, I usually agree with you, but I just don't see this.

Murray is not flashy, not a goal scorer, and who occasionally struggled with confidence when moved to 3rd pair. He's also been playing on his off-side. There are probably stats that don't support this, but what I have seen watching 76 of 78 games this year is that Murray was good most of the year, bringing Nuti along with him. I have not had the fear of which pair (or which line) was on the ice this year - mostly because of Murray's presence on the 3rd pair. There have been a few kerfuffles, but overall, the eye test for 3+ years is that Murray is a really good 2nd pair, with potential for 1st pair if offense stats not a great need. I have not seen enough good from Harry to feel confident, and I'm not sure about Nutti without Murray or better guiding him along.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I'd like to give Murray another summer to try and turn it around. And put him back with Jones.

Werenski - Savard
Murray - Jones

See how that works (assuming JJ to LV).

But, I'm confident in our D depth too. Obviously if one of the big 3 go down we've got a problem - remember when Savard was hurt and goals against was 4 per game? But if we can keep a good veteran like Quincey around then it looks pretty good with several young guys like Nuti, Harry, Gavi, Carlsson that could potentially contribute. Murray is not essential.

And then you wrote this ---!!! We are not thinking that far apart. I'm not sure it matters whether first or second pair - just put him with someone Murray trusts, on the proper side, and we may have a winner. I understand the "may" and thus why your contention that Murray is not essential - but if Murray blows the doors off with the change in pairing, and if JJ gone, Murray does become essential! lol, not arguing against your point, just hoping that your willingness to give Murray another good look results in Murray stepping up. Just like JJ (or Savard) properly slotted, I think the same of Murray, only in the opposite direction (up, not down).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
MM, I usually agree with you, but I just don't see this.

Murray is not flashy, not a goal scorer, and who occasionally struggled with confidence when moved to 3rd pair. He's also been playing on his off-side. There are probably stats that don't support this, but what I have seen watching 76 of 78 games this year is that Murray was good most of the year, bringing Nuti along with him. I have not had the fear of which pair (or which line) was on the ice this year - mostly because of Murray's presence on the 3rd pair. There have been a few kerfuffles, but overall, the eye test for 3+ years is that Murray is a really good 2nd pair, with potential for 1st pair if offense stats not a great need. I have not seen enough good from Harry to feel confident, and I'm not sure about Nutti without Murray or better guiding him along.

Yeah I'm not looking for flash or goal scoring in Murray either. I'd settle for him being as good as he was a year ago, or as good as he was when he was Wiz's babysitter. I don't think he played up to that level for more than a couple weeks this year. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in the fall.

And I happen to like Harrington's game, so I'm not knocking on Murray when I say I prefer Harry's play this year.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I do understand your point but perhaps be a little clearer next time, especially given your post history. You've had a certain... point of view, often revolving around Boller.

But as much as I hate to admit it I agree. We have been abused lately. There's been too many cheap hits that never should have happened. I want these boys to be able to play with their families, to say nothing of lacing them up for years to come. Something's gotta change.

Why do you hate to agree with me? I'm right! Ha

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
That was a fluke skate blade injury. A tough guy wasn't going to help with that :laugh:

It's the recklessness and lack of respect that teams now play with against us. When you have someone they fear, they aren't flying into the piles and crashing the net as hard and taking liberties with your young guys. That's my point. Gretzky had a bodyguard, so did Yzerman and though times are a little different, you still need that player, he just needs to be able to take a regular shift now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad