GDT: Game 78: Columbus vs. Washington | 4/2 6PM

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
At what point does Larsen stop running the power play? 0 for last 19. 1 for last 24. 6 PP goals since 1/24. The power play is 11 for 100 since The Streak ended.

The worst PP% for an entire season is 9.35%. Larsen/Torts came up with a setup that fooled teams for 35-37 games and they are the WORST in the league since then. They're not making a ton of adjustments outside of shuffling personnel every few weeks. Seriously...Larsen...seems like a nice guy, but he can't be running the PP next season.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Changing my tune a bit on Ovis hit. Pictures don't lie.

alex-ovechkin-zach-werenski-960x470.jpg

You can find an image like that for a lot of hits.

As long as the player doesn't leave his feet prior to contact it's not charging. Bouncing up off a hit is routine and not charging.

The problem with Ovi's hit is that he's 235 lbs of freak muscle, and Werenski got caught flat footed on it.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The 1-3-1 PP setup had the league confused for a while. The league has figured it out: cut off the cross ice pass to Cam. We have literally done nothing to adjust. We just run it over and over into a PK that is set up to stop it.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I agree with you. We just need someone other than a Boll or Prout. Someone who can play a bit like Wilson.

Foligno & Anderson have dropped them a few times but lately it seems like Werenski, Bjorkstrand et al have been the targets of cheap shots with no retaliation.

Full disclosure I don't remember the Bjorkstand hit I think that was one of those NHL Network games.

We did see retaliation last night. I don't know what folks are talking about. There were several incidents, Hartnell flattened Orlov, Foligno went at Holtby, Anderson had a pseudo-fight with Ovi. Of course Ovi only threw once Anderson was tied up, that's as close as you'll get to a fight with Ovi. Boll wouldn't be fast enough to land a hit. I'd love to have Prout back for a few minutes there, but it's not like we have a lack of toughness that would justify having Prout's awful play the rest of the time. The Jackets are still one of the leagues toughest teams.

Josh Anderson is basically who the Caps wish Tom Wilson could be. They're the same player except Anderson can score. :laugh:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The 1-3-1 PP setup had the league confused for a while. The league has figured it out: cut off the cross ice pass to Cam. We have literally done nothing to adjust. We just run it over and over into a PK that is set up to stop it.

Yep agree 100%. We were awesome for 20-30 games before the league adjusted.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It's not about fighting majors, it's about the presence. Wash has Wilson. Chi has Tootoo. Flames have multiple big tough guys. San Jose is known as a big tough team. Toronto and Montreal got tough guys. Minn has several big men. Pitt always has a policeman. You're crazy if you don't think you need someone to protect our young guys. You going to tell me our stars haven't been targeted this year?

This starts to get closer to where I am on the issue. I remain a believer that a team has to be able to police the game and that it is a deterrent. My all time favorite in the role was a Montreal player years ago named John Ferguson who was good for 15-20 goals a year along with his 180 PIM.

I don't want an unskilled guy like Boll on my team, but you cite two guys (who while I don't like them) meet my criteria. For us, Andy has the attributes and may ultimately be that guy, though not at the moment.

Right now our team has a core of good, willing neighbors who, while not perceived by the bad guys a deterrent, will step up to protect the town but admittedly generally rally only after the town is ablaze.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
We did see retaliation last night. I don't know what folks are talking about. There were several incidents, Hartnell flattened Orlov, Foligno went at Holtby, Anderson had a pseudo-fight with Ovi. Of course Ovi only threw once Anderson was tied up, that's as close as you'll get to a fight with Ovi. Boll wouldn't be fast enough to land a hit. I'd love to have Prout back for a few minutes there, but it's not like we have a lack of toughness that would justify having Prout's awful play the rest of the time. The Jackets are still one of the leagues toughest teams.

Josh Anderson is basically who the Caps wish Tom Wilson could be. They're the same player except Anderson can score. :laugh:

Agree , trying to understand the nonsense in this thread . Anderson , will drop the gloves with anyone . Then we have the typical , there are no moral victories , etc . Anyone that thinks we are one of the top 5 talented teams , top to bottom , is sorely mistaken . We have a team as constructed with no elite offensive players , our defense and goalie are terrific , especially our offensive output on defense . Can we beat Washington , or Chicago in a series ? With some bounces, yes . But it's not likely . Pittsburgh , I like how we match up . When Bjorkstrand went down , we lost an element our team was lacking . A sniper with speed that can create his offense . And since then , our offensive output has been pretty dismal . Everyone's entitled to their own opinion , but a competitive playoff series, win or lose , makes this season , a huge step for the franchise . This off-season , we need to really consider moving some assets , like Murray , Milano, etc , and get another dynamic offensive player .

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This starts to get closer to where I am on the issue. I remain a believer that a team has to be able to police the game and that it is a deterrent. My all time favorite in the role was a Montreal player years ago named John Ferguson who was good for 15-20 goals a year along with his 180 PIM.

I don't want an unskilled guy like Boll on my team, but you cite two guys (who while I don't like them) meet my criteria. For us, Andy has the attributes and may ultimately be that guy, though not at the moment.

Right now our team has a core of good, willing neighbors who, while not perceived by the bad guys a deterrent, will step up to protect the town but admittedly generally rally only after the town is ablaze.

As a Blackhawks fan growing up (lived in Chicago until I was 11 many moons ago), I hated Ferguson. Here's one example why:laugh::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZnTwmabOxA

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
With the defensive depth that the organization is beginning to show, I think it is almost a given that Murray+ will part of a trade for more offensive firepower. Question is what will the "+" be. But Murray, I think, is almost certainly gone.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
With the defensive depth that the organization is beginning to show, I think it is almost a given that Murray+ will part of a trade for more offensive firepower. Question is what will the "+" be. But Murray, I think, is almost certainly gone.

Until then, we could really use him. Are you ready to see Scott Harrington in the playoffs or a call up?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I was thinking this last night while watching. The D without Murray seems good. If we think we can re-sign JJ to a reasonable $/term then moving Murray + for a Duchene or whoever else is available makes sense to me.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I was thinking this last night while watching. The D without Murray seems good. If we think we can re-sign JJ to a reasonable $/term then moving Murray + for a Duchene or whoever else is available makes sense to me.

I think all that depends on what route Vegas goes in the expansion draft. We'll be losing someone (Korpisalo, most likely).

I like Jack with Savard. But let's not forget - he turns 31 next January. Do you want JJ at 31 for multiple years or would you rather have Carlsson/Gavrikov on ELCs? Because Werenski, Jones, Savard, and Nutivaara are locked in here for the next 3-4 years in my view (and most fans, I would guess). So you've got 3 spots to make up of Murray, Johnson, Carlsson, Gavrikov, Quincey (?), Harrington, <insert free agent name>, or future draft picks.

If we get playoff-version JMFJ more consistently, then yeah I say try to keep him at a reasonable cap hit. If we get inconsistent, maddening-at-times JMFJ, then no, I would say move on before next contract.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I think all that depends on what route Vegas goes in the expansion draft. We'll be losing someone (Korpisalo, most likely).

I like Jack with Savard. But let's not forget - he turns 31 next January. Do you want JJ at 31 for multiple years or would you rather have Carlsson/Gavrikov on ELCs? Because Werenski, Jones, Savard, and Nutivaara are locked in here for the next 3-4 years in my view (and most fans, I would guess). So you've got 3 spots to make up of Murray, Johnson, Carlsson, Gavrikov, Quincey (?), Harrington, <insert free agent name>, or future draft picks.

If we get playoff-version JMFJ more consistently, then yeah I say try to keep him at a reasonable cap hit. If we get inconsistent, maddening-at-times JMFJ, then no, I would say move on before next contract.

Has JJ been maddening much this season, though? It seems like, to those who stated that now he was slotted more appropriately he'll be more effective, they are proven correct. JJ-Savard have been pretty effective for the bulk of the year.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
It's not about fighting majors, it's about the presence. Wash has Wilson. Chi has Tootoo. Flames have multiple big tough guys. San Jose is known as a big tough team. Toronto and Montreal got tough guys. Minn has several big men. Pitt always has a policeman. You're crazy if you don't think you need someone to protect our young guys. You going to tell me our stars haven't been targeted this year?

I come in peace from Pittsburgh. It's kinda funny to read the same "we need enforcers" conversation here that occurs constantly on our boards. The only "policeman" we have is an AHL call-up we occasionally make for teams like yours, who we perceive as one of the toughest, most physical, and most likely to injure us around. His name is Sestito, he sucks at hockey, and can throw some fists. I see no difference in how teams play us when he skates, other than opposing teams not having to worry about our 4th line providing offense.

Yours is a matchup we really wanted to avoid in the 1st round, especially with a third of the team still out injured. It's going to be an interesting series.

Any word yet on Werenski's injury? BTW, Letang had a setback, looking questionable he will be ready for game one now, or at least so say our insiders.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I come in peace from Pittsburgh. It's kinda funny to read the same "we need enforcers" conversation here that occurs constantly on our boards. The only "policeman" we have is an AHL call-up we occasionally make for teams like yours, who we perceive as one of the toughest, most physical, and most likely to injure us around. His name is Sestito, he sucks at hockey, and can throw some fists. I see no difference in how teams play us when he skates, other than opposing teams not having to worry about our 4th line providing offense.

Yours is a matchup we really wanted to avoid in the 1st round, especially with a third of the team still out injured. It's going to be an interesting series.

Any word yet on Werenski's injury? BTW, Letang had a setback, looking questionable he will be ready for game one now, or at least so say our insiders.

We are familiar with Sestito (former Jacket). What's the incentive for the Jackets to NOT call up Gallant (AHL enforcer) tomorrow to take a run at a few Penguins?

Do not fear. Our offense has stalled the last 2-3 weeks. If you guys can score 2 goals a game, the series is yours in 5.

Werenski is day-to-day. My guess is probably sprained shoulder/shoulder soreness. I doubt Werenski plays tomorrow, maybe even the rest of the season since we're basically locked into playoff position, unless Torts really wants to go for home ice.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
We are familiar with Sestito (former Jacket). What's the incentive for the Jackets to NOT call up Gallant (AHL enforcer) tomorrow to take a run at a few Penguins?

Do not fear. Our offense has stalled the last 2-3 weeks. If you guys can score 2 goals a game, the series is yours in 5.

Werenski is day-to-day. My guess is probably sprained shoulder/shoulder soreness. I doubt Werenski plays tomorrow, maybe even the rest of the season since we're basically locked into playoff position, unless Torts really wants to go for home ice.

Yeah well, we are looking at the possibility of having Letang, Malkin, Hagelin, Kunitz out for your series. Nice to hear you are having your own problems though, cus we mos def got ours.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Defensive depth? You trust Kyle Quincey, Scott Harrington, and Nutivaara to make up for Murray? I'm not a Murray fan, not by any stretch, but he's way better than these guys. Quincey has played well, but his overall body of work doesn't lie over his career. He's very average. Harrington is pretty good, and Nutivaara has really struggled since the new year. Our D is pretty good with him, and is about average without him (which is held up by Werenski-Jones). We should keep Murray, unless we can get a really good player for him because someone is buying off Murray's potential.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Defensive depth? You trust Kyle Quincey, Scott Harrington, and Nutivaara to make up for Murray? I'm not a Murray fan, not by any stretch, but he's way better than these guys. Quincey has played well, but his overall body of work doesn't lie over his career. He's very average. Harrington is pretty good, and Nutivaara has really struggled since the new year. Our D is pretty good with him, and is about average without him (which is held up by Werenski-Jones). We should keep Murray, unless we can get a really good player for him because someone is buying off Murray's potential.

I think you are not looking at the whole picture. If we can get JJ for a 3 yr deal at a reasonable cost we'd have a pretty good top 4 for the next 3 years and if trading Murray improves our offensive skill then I think overall we have a better team.

People can quote stats and GF's all they want but to me we rely too much on the greasy goal. Last night we screwed up at least 5 2 on 1's because we can't pass or receive a pass to save our life. End result ? 5 weak shots right at Holtby.

Add Duchene and I think on balance its a better team.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I think you are not looking at the whole picture. If we can get JJ for a 3 yr deal at a reasonable cost we'd have a pretty good top 4 for the next 3 years and if trading Murray improves our offensive skill then I think overall we have a better team.

People can quote stats and GF's all they want but to me we rely too much on the greasy goal. Last night we screwed up at least 5 2 on 1's because we can't pass or receive a pass to save our life. End result ? 5 weak shots right at Holtby.

Add Duchene and I think on balance its a better team.

But why would Jack want a "reasonable deal" at his age, and more importantly, his history? I don't know if his money troubles have settled or whatever, but if they haven't he probably wants top dollar. He'd be a prime age defenseman hitting the market. He won't be cheap. I'd like to bring him back too, but I think its 50/50.

I don't disagree on your point about needing more offense. I'm fine with adding Duchene. I am not fine with adding Duchene at his trade deadline asking price (I think Porty said Wennberg+Murray or something dumb). If we can add Duchene for Murray, Milano, picks or whatever then you do it obviously. But they're going to want Murray and probably one of Bjork/Wennberg/Dubois MINIMUM. Would you do that? I wouldn't. We're still building, closer to a cup than ever before, but not quite there. To get more offense this season we need our skill guys to actually start being skillful and score (Wennberg, Cam, Foligno, and most of all Saad).

Trading Murray makes Nutivaara or Harrington a lineup regular. Maybe both if you let Quincey walk this year and Carlsson not being ready. That's not even factoring in the possibility of JJ walking after next year. Do you trust that? I don't.

I'm OK with trading Murray, but it better be worth it. Because our D looks good currently when healthy, but its like a house of cards.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

This year Quincey > Harrington > Murray > Nuti.

Murray had a couple good weeks in February, I think, before he fell apart again.

Potential is a different story, he might turn it around next year.

Until then, we could really use him. Are you ready to see Scott Harrington in the playoffs or a call up?

I'd prefer Harry to Murray.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Good luck trying to persuade some folks here of that. The inferiority complex is strong in Columbus.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I'm still worried about Werenski. I fear he's not out of the woods yet. I know Torts said day-to-day..But wasn't Bjorkstrand also day to day? I could be paranoid but I am still unconvinced right now. I hope im wrong.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'd like to give Murray another summer to try and turn it around. And put him back with Jones.

Werenski - Savard
Murray - Jones

See how that works (assuming JJ to LV).

But, I'm confident in our D depth too. Obviously if one of the big 3 go down we've got a problem - remember when Savard was hurt and goals against was 4 per game? But if we can keep a good veteran like Quincey around then it looks pretty good with several young guys like Nuti, Harry, Gavi, Carlsson that could potentially contribute. Murray is not essential.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00