GDT: Game 78: Columbus vs. Washington | 4/2 6PM

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Hate to say it but I told you this would happen if we didn't have a tough guy in the lineup. Didn't have to be Boll, though Anaheim has 100 points with him on their roster. But almost every team still has a tough guy and we don't.

Ducks had more points last year without Boll.

Fighting majors in the NHL this year, the bottom 5 teams are Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Rangers and Carolina. Take from that what you will.

Hits per game:

1)Kings-out of playoffs
2)Ducks
3)Coyotes-out of playoffs
4)Sens ???
5)Islanders-out of playoffs
6)Philly-out of playoffs
25)Jackets-100 pts
26)Sharks-100 pts
27)Flames-95 pts
28)Vancouver-out
29)Wild-100 pts
30)Chicago-110 pts

Pretty clear that, all-in-all, the big tough teams stink.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
Hate to say it but I told you this would happen if we didn't have a tough guy in the lineup. Didn't have to be Boll, though Anaheim has 100 points with him on their roster. But almost every team still has a tough guy and we don't. And I don't want to hear about Dubi and Foligno and Hartnell, I love those guys but nobody is scared of them.

This year Werenski has been targeted mercilessly, Wennberg has been injured by disrespectful plays, Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Bob has been targeted, and on and on. That's fine if you want to say fighting is down, blah blah blah. But every team has a heavy that can play and we don't. Anderson is showing promise in this area but he's a kid, nobody is scared of a kid. This will continue to happen until we do. I'd love a Matt Martin type, someone that hits everything in sight and will answer the bell to protect our stars. Look at that Toronto game a few weeks ago, they pounded us up and down the ice before finally injuring one of our best offensive players with absolutely no pushback.

They better address this in the off season or Werenski will be crippled by his third season

Well we had Prout. But it seemed in the last year and a half he never wanted to fight. And when he tried the refs always stepped in. Plus he stunk as a player. So I dunno

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
IMO, they're in trouble. Effort is there, but you've got to finish. Not sure what is going on. Without Werenski, might be another first round exodus. Hope the guys can get things turned around, they need to and quickly.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Hate to say it but I told you this would happen if we didn't have a tough guy in the lineup. Didn't have to be Boll, though Anaheim has 100 points with him on their roster. But almost every team still has a tough guy and we don't. And I don't want to hear about Dubi and Foligno and Hartnell, I love those guys but nobody is scared of them.

This year Werenski has been targeted mercilessly, Wennberg has been injured by disrespectful plays, Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Bob has been targeted, and on and on. That's fine if you want to say fighting is down, blah blah blah. But every team has a heavy that can play and we don't. Anderson is showing promise in this area but he's a kid, nobody is scared of a kid. This will continue to happen until we do. I'd love a Matt Martin type, someone that hits everything in sight and will answer the bell to protect our stars. Look at that Toronto game a few weeks ago, they pounded us up and down the ice before finally injuring one of our best offensive players with absolutely no pushback.

They better address this in the off season or Werenski will be crippled by his third season

I was wondering when we'd get this post.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

You think Boll, with his 3 assists and 5 minutes a game, is the reason the Ducks have 100 points? Dude I like him too but that logic is flawed.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Changing my tune a bit on Ovis hit. Pictures don't lie.

alex-ovechkin-zach-werenski-960x470.jpg

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Fighting majors in the NHL this year, the bottom 5 teams are Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Rangers and Carolina. Take from that what you will.

Hits per game:

1)Kings-out of playoffs
2)Ducks
4)Sens ???
6)Philly-out of playoffs
25)Jackets-100 pts
26)Sharks-100 pts
27)Flames-95 pts
28)Vancouver-out
29)Wild-100 pts
30)Chicago-110 pts

It's not about fighting majors, it's about the presence. Wash has Wilson. Chi has Tootoo. Flames have multiple big tough guys. San Jose is known as a big tough team. Toronto and Montreal got tough guys. Minn has several big men. Pitt always has a policeman. You're crazy if you don't think you need someone to protect our young guys. You going to tell me our stars haven't been targeted this year?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It's not about fighting majors, it's about the presence. Wash has Wilson. Chi has Tootoo. Flames have multiple big tough guys. San Jose is known as a big tough team. Toronto and Montreal got tough guys. Minn has several big men. Pitt always has a policeman. You're crazy if you don't think you need someone to protect our young guys. You going to tell me our stars haven't been targeted this year?

I agree with you. We just need someone other than a Boll or Prout. Someone who can play a bit like Wilson.

Foligno & Anderson have dropped them a few times but lately it seems like Werenski, Bjorkstrand et al have been the targets of cheap shots with no retaliation.

Full disclosure I don't remember the Bjorkstand hit I think that was one of those NHL Network games.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You think Boll, with his 3 assists and 5 minutes a game, is the reason the Ducks have 100 points? Dude I like him too but that logic is flawed.

Why do I bother coming on here. You just don't get it. Of course I don't think Boll added anything offensively or is the reason they have 100 points. But he's the reason people aren't targeting their star players. Can any one say with a straight face they haven't seen an increase in our stars getting crushed by dirty plays? Bjorkstrand, Dubi, Wennberg all hit from behind. Bob is bumped multiple times per game now. Werenski is run every shift. Jones is targeted. Atkinson has been injured. You guys cool with this? If so, I'll shut up. This has nothing to do with Boll or Prout- good riddance to them both, but we need to get someone in here to settle things down.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina

Hits per game:

1)Kings-out of playoffs
2)Ducks
4)Sens ???
6)Philly-out of playoffs
25)Jackets-100 pts
26)Sharks-100 pts
27)Flames-95 pts
28)Vancouver-out
29)Wild-100 pts
30)Chicago-110 pts

Good data. There is a definite shift in the league to skilled play. The era of the goon is over and I like it.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I agree with you. We just need someone other than a Boll or Prout. Someone who can play a bit like Wilson.

Foligno & Anderson have dropped them a few times but lately it seems like Werenski, Bjorkstrand et al have been the targets of cheap shots with no retaliation.

Full disclosure I don't remember the Bjorkstand hit I think that was one of those NHL Network games.

Look it up on YouTube, it was brutal and nobody said a word. When Bob has to come out because our guys are getting pushed around, we are in trouble. Torts is all but begging our guys to fight back.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
But he's the reason people aren't targeting their star players. Can any one say with a straight face they haven't seen an increase in our stars getting crushed by dirty plays?

I can. Jackets are one of the healthiest teams in the league. 14 guys have played more than 70 games, more than any other team. Nobody runs the Jackets because Boll isn't there.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Hits per game:

1)Kings-out of playoffs
2)Ducks
4)Sens ???
6)Philly-out of playoffs
25)Jackets-100 pts
26)Sharks-100 pts
27)Flames-95 pts
28)Vancouver-out
29)Wild-100 pts
30)Chicago-110 pts

Spun another way, 5 of the top 9 teams with the most fighting majors are all in the playoffs. Take from that what you will. I was never talking about hits so not sure why you brought that up

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I am rather disappointed with the lack of spunk in the Jackets overall response to this game. At some point they have got to ramp it back up. Moral victories do count in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad