Pre-Game Talk: GAME 78 1:14 PM vs Florida - Who wins the 7th Player Award? | NESN, NHLN, SN1, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
PREVIOUS WINNERS OF 7th PLAYER AWARD
upload_2019-3-30_11-15-17.png

upload_2019-3-29_23-8-2.png

upload_2019-3-29_23-8-27.png

upload_2019-3-30_11-1-58.png

Today's Officials

JS12.jpg
KS11.jpg

Referees Justin StPierre (12), Kelly Sutherland (11)
Linesmen Michel Cormier (76), Brad Kovachik (71)

Ntl. Anthem Isabella Carroll

upload_2019-3-30_11-5-44.png

upload_2019-3-30_11-15-52.png

upload_2019-3-30_11-16-26.png

upload_2019-3-30_11-16-49.png

upload_2019-3-30_11-17-23.png

upload_2019-3-30_11-20-36.png

:bruins:panthers
The Boston Bruins have clinched a playoff berth and the Florida Panthers are officially out.

Given those facts, there won't be a lot of intrigue on Saturday when the Panthers visit the Bruins. But one player to watch is Bruins winger Brad Marchand, who is closing in on what could be Boston's first 100-point season since Joe Thornton in 2002-2003.

Marchand, 30, had never had more than 85 points prior to this season. But he has 97 points now, including a career-high 63 assists.

"Compared to where I was when I first came into the league, it's amazing," Marchand said. "I never thought I'd be in this position."

Marchand was Boston's third-round pick in 2006, and he made his NHL debut during the 2009-2010 season, getting just one point in 20 games.

Back then, it's likely few if any fans or even so-called experts could've predicted what was to follow for Marchand, who stands to be just the 10th Bruins player to reach 100 points, joining a list that includes legends such as Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito.

A big difference for Marchand this season has come on the power play, where he has set career highs with 10 goals and 24 assists. Prior to this season, his career high for power-play points was 24.

Marchand's pairing with Patrice Bergeron on Boston's top line continues to work wonders. Bergeron has 32 goals, tying his career high, and a career-best 77 points.

"They are a go-to pairing for our team," Bruins defenseman Torey Krug said. "It's special."

The Bruins, who are 5-1-0 in their past six games, will try to keep their momentum going as they prepare for the playoffs.

Meanwhile, the Panthers had been outscored 20-9 during a brutal three-game losing streak that was snapped on Thursday in a 5-2 road win over the Ottawa Senators.

Florida's top line of Jonathan Huberdeau, center Aleksander Barkov and Evgenii Dadonov finished with seven points in the game.

Since Feb. 17, Huberdeau has 14 goals and 20 assists in 22 games, ranking him second in the league in points during that span.

Barkov pushed his career-high points total to 90, making him just the third Panthers player to reach that plateau. He is just five points away from breaking Pavel Bure's franchise record for single-season points. Since Feb. 17, Barkov has 37 points, which is slightly better than Huberdeau and ranks first in the NHL.

Dadonov has put together his second straight 25-goal, 60-point season. He has 17 points in his past 12 games and leads the Panthers with 40 even-strength goals over the past two seasons.

Thursday's Panthers game also featured the NHL debut of 22-year-old defenseman Brady Keeper, who grew up in Cross Lake, Manitoba, a reservation of roughly 8,000 people located eight hours north of Winnipeg.
He is the first member of the Pimicikamak Cree Nation to make it to the NHL.

"I'm just really happy to get the chance to play in the NHL," Keeper said. "My family and them are probably really proud of me - my community back home and other aboriginal people."

Panthers coach Bob Boughner said Keeper will "absolutely" see more playing time as Florida closes out its season.

Boughner said he wants for Keeper the same thing he desires for every player on his roster.

"We want to finish the season strong," Boughner said. "We want to end it feeling better about ourselves."

Last edited:

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
My vote for 7th player would be Kampfer. My expectations: He would ride the bus in Providence or the ECHL all year. Instead he has played serviceable minutes for the team and helped to hold down the fort when some big names went down with injury.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
My vote for Seventh Player, paying attention to the criteria, would be Mayor of Walpole, Chris Wagner. Frankly, no, he's not my favorite Bruin by a long shot. But he has DEFINITELY exceeded my expectations. Only 3 points in the first 20 games, but he's now got 18, his career high. Stepped up when the team really needed it with all the injury problems we had.

And I'll pass on the lease for the car, thank you. That's a white elephant.

Last edited:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Some good suggestions for Seventh Player and I'll add another; maybe a candidate at least, if not the winner.

Noel Acciari.

I may be basing his expectations on the level from this board, where the disdain for him reached or exceeded Jimmy Hayes levels earlier in the season.

But he often did the dirtiest work on a line doing a lot of dirty work. Before injuries, Cassidy iced Acciari/Kuraly/Wagner in all situations, including the starts of games and periods.

He also soldiered on and in good spirits after taking a puck to the face and losing some chiclets.

Since fans vote for this, I don't expect him to win. But if it were up to his coach and teammates, I bet he'd be in the running.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Wagner is easily 7th player

And this may be the end of an era, the last time Roberto Luongo is between the pipes at TD Garden. Thnks fr th mmrs.

Reactions: sooshii

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Halak gets my vote, really was a brick wall for us early when Rask normally struggles.
He has been very consistent all year and given this team a chance to win whenever he’s between the pipes. The team seems to play well in front of him as well which shows the faith they share in his abilities.

He also came into this year to be a Bruin with a great mask and amazing looking equipment, I love the pads and the brick wall mask....

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Honestly I'd take Wagner too. But I'd be delighted to see Carlo get it too.

Want them to drub Florida tonight as well. Really wanna just seem them win out, really. But that's just me being greedy

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
7th player Award, I gotta go with Carlo. The kid has played in beast-mode most of this season, he's really taken that extra step and has become one of the leagues best defensive defenseman.

Today I see the Bruins keeping it rolling and Marchand gets the game winner on his 100 point of the season! :yo:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Can we just start round 2 against Tampa

I’m excited about going today and next week but these 2 games and the Leafs series seems like exhibition games before the series that decides the Cup

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Wagner hands down. The crowd is going to go crazy if he wins.

Are they doing the other awards today too?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
7th player Award, I gotta go with Carlo. The kid has played in beast-mode most of this season, he's really taken that extra step and has become one of the leagues best defensive defenseman.

Today I see the Bruins keeping it rolling and Marchand gets the game winner on his 100 point of the season! :yo:
Going with one of Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand - maybe DeBrusk

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Hey Mods, If I make the GDT in a post in this thread can you put it under the first post so we can just use this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad