GDT: GAME 77 3/28/18 Aves vs. Flyera - Hey, least they're wearing orange!

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Toughest losses of the season so emotion are running high. I find it easier to just go to bed and come back and post here in the morning. Too easy to get riled up after a loss like that.

It isn't over yet, but we've managed to make it as hard as possible. Need to dominate Chicago on Friday. 6 point game from MacKinnon to keep him in the Heart race.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't like breaking out the "do you play hockey?" card, but it's pretty easy to see on here that some people don't understand that it wasn't a simple "tap in" for Landeskog at the end of the game there.

Puck coming through traffic is impossible to track. Landy's angle along with him fighting off a defender makes it impossible to just "tip" it in. He had to apply force to make the puck go back the other way. It was more of a one timer than a tip from that position. By the time the puck got through and was actually visible to landy he hardly had enough time to even get a stick on it to "tip" it, let alone actually react and push his stick forward to actually shoot it into the net.

Landeskog blindly refusing to acknowledge Mackinnon was alone in a better shooting position with an open net should be criticized. Landeskog not scoring on a chance that 95% of the league would also miss shouldn't. Just because the slowed down replay makes you, a fan feel like it was an easy tap in doesn't mean that's the case.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Couldn't Force myself to stay up for this late game but just realised Bednar and Parkkila played Hammond when we are still competing for a playoff spot.... Are Varlamov and Bernier both really injured?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I have a hard time blaming the top line. They’ve carried this team here. Provorov played MacKinnon as well as anyone has last night. I’m more convinced than ever that JT Compher is never going to be a guy you want in your top 6 consistently.

They’re not completely out of it because they play all these teams down the stretch but it sure as hell is going to be tough.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So much for Nate being a big game player. Worst time of the year to go on a cold streak.
MacKinnon needs help, he and his line can't be counted on to carry the team on nightly basis. It puts too much pressure on him and the 1st line in general, and it's easy to lose confidence when you're counted on that much and things don't go your way which has been happening to MacKinnon and his line in the last couple of games.

Sakic is most likely not gonna sign free agents to solidify the second line, they're probably gonna be patient and hope the kids will become that second line they can have impact on this type of games, until then we are probably looking at few more seasons like this where they come close but don't make it

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I don't like breaking out the "do you play hockey?" card, but it's pretty easy to see on here that some people don't understand that it wasn't a simple "tap in" for Landeskog at the end of the game there.

Puck coming through traffic is impossible to track. Landy's angle along with him fighting off a defender makes it impossible to just "tip" it in. He had to apply force to make the puck go back the other way. It was more of a one timer than a tip from that position. By the time the puck got through and was actually visible to landy he hardly had enough time to even get a stick on it to "tip" it, let alone actually react and push his stick forward to actually shoot it into the net.

Landeskog blindly refusing to acknowledge Mackinnon was alone in a better shooting position with an open net should be criticized. Landeskog not scoring on a chance that 95% of the league would also miss shouldn't. Just because the slowed down replay makes you, a fan feel like it was an easy tap in doesn't mean that's the case.
I used to tell people that those aren't as easy as they look when Bure was scoring 15 of his goals like that a year. Bure only made it look easy. Crosby same thing. When I saw the replay I was no longer upset at Landeskog.

Reactions: cgf

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I used to tell people that those aren't as easy as they look when Bure was scoring 15 of his goals like that a year. Bure only made it look easy. Crosby same thing. When I saw the replay I was no longer upset at Landeskog.
Yep. I'm not saying it was impossible to score, I'm saying it shouldn't be expected. Most players don't score there. Guys like Sid, McDavid, Kane and JVR are the types of players that have the hands to possibly react to something like that. Most don't.

stonehands31

Aug 14, 2011
What is the deal with Hammond, that might be most unathletic style of goaltending that I've ever seen on display outside of beer league.

Edit: I'm not even commenting on how he played, but the man looks like he is about to damn near fall over when he comes out of the butterfly.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think Hammond deserves a hell of a lot of credit. Gets traded earlier in the year as a known "cap dump". Doesn't even get picked up by his new team's farm team and they elect to pay him to play for the farm of his former team. He gets called up several times to only open the gate. Doesn't get any playing time at all. Goes back and forth between Colorado's NHL team and Ottawa's AHL team several times. Finally it's too late and he cant go back to Ottawa's farm so he gets sent to a brand new AHL team in March where he has to learn to fit in. Goes down and plays his first game in forever and stands on his head. Then the Avs get desperate, the playoffs are on the line, they call up a guy who hasn't played an NHL game in like a year, he leaves the airport to go straight to the rink, puts his gear on and plays an absolutely flawless game.

If the Avs found a way to tie it up and win last night, Hammond better had been given the #1 star.

Thanks, Hamburglar. You may never even be remembered for ever being part of the Colorado Avalanche, but I appreciate the living Jesus out of what you've done this year.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It was a bit disappointing that a tired Flyers team were the better team for 50 minutes. I'd rather go out with a bang than a whimper.

But big picture, the playoff race is a bonus. Getting better was the goal and that's clearly happened. I don't see any reason to rage. I guess the infection Bernier got was from cutting himself on edgy HF posters.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It was a bit disappointing that a tired Flyers team were the better team for 50 minutes. I'd rather go out with a bang than a whimper.

But big picture, the playoff race is a bonus. Getting better was the goal and that's clearly happened. I don't see any reason to rage. I guess the infection Bernier got was from cutting himself on edgy HF posters.
It really was deflating seeing how flat they were in the 3rd against Vegas, and then basically played the Flyers the exact same way except for the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period. You want your team to come back strong from poor performances but they just didn't show up most of the game.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
This. This. And This again.

There is nothing to add. Sure a lot of us are a little bit disappointed that we (most likely) are not going to make it but concidering where we come from, our current freakin young roster and the injury bug that hit us pretty hard all season long the Avs played a heck of a season. We should all be proud of our guys, and we also should be excited for the things to come.

And i'm sure that most of us will (at least those of us who still have a working brain) when all the drama is over and we can finally breath again.
So why did you? :sarcasm:;)

Seriously though this team has far from checked out. They played hard but they are not getting the puck luck anymore. Offensively we are still just a one-line team. Any line in the NHL go through some dry spell. It's just too bad it's happening at this time of the year. The Soda line is our second line but they would be top-10 in the NHL as a 3rd line. So fix our current 3rd to become a true 2nd line and this team would be very dangerous as the other teams wouldn't be able to concentrate on our 1st line only. It would also take a lot of pressure off our top guys and therefore they would play more relax.

Overall this team is miles ahead of the 13-14 team. More nights than not they were the better team on the ice which was not the case in 13-14. They are fun to watch again. They will still need to carry this type of play into next season to prove they are the real thing though. There was a poll at the beginning of the year were I voted they would finish in the 6-9 spot in the draft and I thought at the time it would be a very good season considering the amount of rookies on the team. They have exceeding this by quite a margin. Sometimes we forget that this is still the youngest/2nd youngest team in the league. This season is a complete success.

Oh and let's not forget...they are still not out of it this year. Go Avs!!!!!!

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I had a looooooooong post all typed up but I'm trying not to post stuff that I myself wouldn't read. :laugh: So now, a slightly-shorter long post.

I think last night put close to the final nail in the coffin for postseason hopes. This team is way too banged up and tired to go any further. And even if they sputter down the stretch, I'm more than thrilled with how far they took this thing.

The frustrating part about last night was how many big, fat rebounds just sat there in the slot area with no one there to capitalize. What's more, the high-low offensive scheme was completely exposed. Avs ran around the perimeter, but failed to really get anything going on the inside. Shots sailed wide or got blocked. They must find a solution to this next season, no excuses. When a team like this, expert at getting sticks in passing lanes and blocking shots, shows up, the Avs can't rely on fancy snipes and bombs from the point. They need players who crash the net with abandon and able to get to rebounds and deflect shots. Only way you can beat teams like this. If they had pounced on even half the rebounds getting coughed up they'd have won comfortably. The only goal they scored last night was as ugly as they come, set up and put away by two grinders just hammering away in the crease area.

Anyway, to wrap things up, EJ is clearly not 100%. Didn't throw a single check, and went into full Guenin mode in the defensive zone, hovering between the boards and the net trying (in vain) to block shots and/or passes. Offensively he was pretty good, but in his own zone he was pretty terrible. Kudos to him for trying to power through it, but I hope he doesn't hurt it any worse. Nemeth was probably the team's most consistent d-man last night, and, well, no offense to him meant (truly) but you ain't likely gonna win if #12 is the team's best defender.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So it's all Landeskog's fault the Avs lost this game? A team of 18 skaters didn't collectively lose this game, but rather Gabe Landeskog all by himself?

giphy.gif

(before I go, your statement wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you hold some sort of bizarro grudge against Landeskog, would it? You know what, never mind, I already know the answer)
Never said that it was all Landeskog's fault, lots of big name guys had shit games 1st line, Barrie, Zadorov, Girard etc.

I'm just pissed that our captain can't tap in a perfect pass from MacKinnon into an open net that would have tied the game with 10 seconds left. Winners don't miss that bunny. It was gift wrapped on a platter. Unfortunately this isn't the first bunny he has missed in the last 3 games, which leads to more of my frustration towards him. We've got big games and he is not capitalizing on golden chances in all of those games, it's not a good trend.

But in no means is us losing last night on Landeskog, it falls on all the players not named Hammond, who was awesome considering the situation. What I'm frustrated with is Landeskog, our captain, had the chance to salvage our game last on an easy tap in and simply choked. He has got to bury some of his chances especially if it can help salvage poor showings by the team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Never said that it was all Landeskog's fault, lots of big name guys had **** games 1st line, Barrie, Zadorov, Girard etc.

I'm just pissed that our captain can't tap in a perfect pass from MacKinnon into an open net that would have tied the game with 10 seconds left. Winners don't miss that bunny. It was gift wrapped on a platter. Unfortunately this isn't the first bunny he has missed in the last 3 games, which leads to more of my frustration towards him. We've got big games and he is not capitalizing on golden chances in all of those games, it's not a good trend.

But in no means is us losing last night on Landeskog, it falls on all the players not named Hammond, who was awesome considering the situation. What I'm frustrated with is Landeskog, our captain, had the chance to salvage our game last on an easy tap in and simply choked. He has got to bury some of his chances especially if it can help salvage poor showings by the team.
Anything to take shots at Landeskog lol

Reactions: cgf

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Never said that it was all Landeskog's fault, lots of big name guys had **** games 1st line, Barrie, Zadorov, Girard etc.

I think Mikko pissed me off the most if we're going to continue to sling mud at the top line. I lost count of how many times he fell recovering the puck on the wall with either no pressure or light pressure.

Bambi is awesome, but he really does put on the clown shoes sometimes.

Of the bottom line guys Compher flubbing three or four good chances was also pretty frustrating.

I still think I'd like to see Bednar try Jost at LW with Soda and Blake. Even if it's just for a period to see if it works. Anything to see if you can get that line scoring without a drop off in their play against the puck.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think Mikko pissed me off the most if we're going to continue to sling mud at the top line. I lost count of how many times he fell recovering the puck on the wall with either no pressure or light pressure.

Bambi is awesome, but he really does put on the clown shoes sometimes.

Of the bottom line guys Compher flubbing three or four good chances was also pretty frustrating.

I still think I'd like to see Bednar try Jost at LW with Soda and Blake. Even if it's just for a period to see if it works. Anything to see if you can get that line scoring without a drop off in their play against the puck.
Agreed Mikko was horrendous last night, couldn't even skate. It was a truly pathetic effort from him.

MacKinnon while not his top form, played alright if anyone could finish one of his passes he probably ends with two assists at minimum.

Compher, Jost and Kerfoot all look like they are in over their heads. Just not doing much on the scoresheet at the moment. They are young guys who are clearly feeling the pressure of a playoff push.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think Hammond deserves a hell of a lot of credit. Gets traded earlier in the year as a known "cap dump". Doesn't even get picked up by his new team's farm team and they elect to pay him to play for the farm of his former team. He gets called up several times to only open the gate. Doesn't get any playing time at all. Goes back and forth between Colorado's NHL team and Ottawa's AHL team several times. Finally it's too late and he cant go back to Ottawa's farm so he gets sent to a brand new AHL team in March where he has to learn to fit in. Goes down and plays his first game in forever and stands on his head. Then the Avs get desperate, the playoffs are on the line, they call up a guy who hasn't played an NHL game in like a year, he leaves the airport to go straight to the rink, puts his gear on and plays an absolutely flawless game.

If the Avs found a way to tie it up and win last night, Hammond better had been given the #1 star.

Thanks, Hamburglar. You may never even be remembered for ever being part of the Colorado Avalanche, but I appreciate the living Jesus out of what you've done this year.

Completely agree. If Hammond can't find a permanent backup position for another team, I think we should resign him. Varly and Bernier are both inconsistent and injury-prone, so having a Hammond option is great when your Spencer Martin is next in your goaltending depth. Give those two 1A/1B down in Loveland start and run the hot goaltender.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

The hell you didn’t, Skip. I guess it’s just a coincidence that the post of yours I quoted just happened to only mention Landeskog?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad