GDT: Game 76: Flames @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
True. I just had a look at the standing and I can't imagine we catch the six worst teams. It's be a long shot to get to six, for sure. Best case is going into the lottery at 7-8 and worst case isn't much worse than 9-10. So I'm going to guess 8-9. Which isn't a bad spot. Even if you lose all three lotteries (which is likely) and the big three you either get one of the top three D prospects at 8-9 or you get a hell of a forward that drops because all three went before your pick.

8th overall would be fantastic, in fact. Assuming Matthews, Laine, and Puljujarvi go, that means at least one of Tkachuk, Dubois, Chychrun, Sergachev, or Juolevi will be on the board at 8th.

Of course that means we'll probably finish 8th worst and see two teams below us win the lottery so we have to pick 10th haha
You should frame this post.....given it's exactly what figures to happen. All 7 Canadian teams will end up picking ahead of us.....2 will get Arizona-born studs, we'll settle for a Canadian-born kid at 10.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Just watched the highlights. Made me break down crying since I can't skate for up to 2 months :(

Duclair's 2 PP goals were pretty slick. Sekac's move to get in on goal was amazing, too bad it didn't result in a goal. Domingue looked frustrated out there, and understandably so. I take it Murphy had a bad game.

Oh well :(

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wanted him when he was a ufa, but he got ridiculous money. Not sure he'd play under Tipp anyway. Not his style.

We offered him a deal as a UFA. Calgary offered him more, thankfully, as that's an ugly contract.

1. Edmonton
2. Montreal
3. Ottawa

My nightmare is Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, in whatever order.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It is quite ironic that the country considered the hockey powerhouse of the world can't field one single playoff team.

I know that the players come from many countries, but when some of the top teams in the league reside in Florida, Texas, and California, that has to give some Canadians an ulcer.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I wanted him when he was a ufa, but he got ridiculous money. Not sure he'd play under Tipp anyway. Not his style.

If he's traded, he'll have to adjust. Of course, after that little altercation at the end of the game, I can't imagine they'd get along too well (but he is a veteran, so Tipp would get over it).

I see Engelland as a decent veteran D-man that could help us as the young players mature (and could help Stone out on Defensive play). He'll be making 2.9 million next season and is currently the 6th highest payed D-man on the Flames Roster (if we include Smid). Many of their RFA forwards will be getting some significant raises, so we might be able to get him for a reasonable price that doesn't impact our future.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We offered him a deal as a UFA. Calgary offered him more, thankfully, as that's an ugly contract.

My nightmare is Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, in whatever order.

That's not a nightmare. That means our pick is unaffected. It teams below us in the order (like Montreal or Ottawa) win, then we drop down. That's worse than Toronto or Winnipeg winning.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It is quite ironic that the country considered the hockey powerhouse of the world can't field one single playoff team.

I know that the players come from many countries, but when some of the top teams in the league reside in Florida, Texas, and California, that has to give some Canadians an ulcer.

At least they still have us to kick around. Cathartic.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

That just shows how hockey is growing in the sunbelt areas. I still worry that the Oilers are going to be a powerhouse in a few years.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That just shows how hockey is growing in the sunbelt areas. I still worry that the Oilers are going to be a powerhouse in a few years.

I'm not sure why you'd worry that, unless they do a top-to-bottom exorcism of their front office and coaching.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm not sure why you'd worry that, unless they do a top-to-bottom exorcism of their front office and coaching.

I wonder if McLellan is the right guy. His win/loss record in San Jose was very good, but early playoff flame-outs were common, and let's not forget those teams were stacked.

A good GM would use some of those 1st rd picks to build a more well rounded team.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I wonder if McLellan is the right guy. His win/loss record in San Jose was very good, but early playoff flame-outs were common, and let's not forget those teams were stacked.

A good GM would use some of those 1st rd picks to build a more well rounded team.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but whatever's eating the Oilers is something deep-seated.

I will say, though, that I feel vindicated a little bit - I had arguments all through last season with an Oilers fan buddy of mine about whether a single player had the capability of changing an entire franchise's luck. I said no, he said yes. When the Oil drafted McDavid he could not have been happier - and more convinced that Edmonton was a lock for the playoffs. I should have bet him on it.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'm not sure what the solution is, but whatever's eating the Oilers is something deep-seated.

I will say, though, that I feel vindicated a little bit - I had arguments all through last season with an Oilers fan buddy of mine about whether a single player had the capability of changing an entire franchise's luck. I said no, he said yes. When the Oil drafted McDavid he could not have been happier - and more convinced that Edmonton was a lock for the playoffs. I should have bet him on it.

I think the Oilers are fine with Tmac and Chirelli. They used this year to fully evaluate the players. They are trying to determine the right mix of players and the right attitudes. It was such a mess until now, it would have been hard to evaluate what you have, what you want to keep, and who you need to get rid of to change the culture. I think there will be major changes this off season.

As for the Oilers being really good, that won't happen until they fix their D. We have a better chance at being really good much sooner then the Oilers, simply because we a have a legit #1D in OEL. The Oilers need a 1D and a 2D. Klef might be a 2D but maybe not.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Mcdavid may lead them to the promised land eventually, but you still need a team around him.

Hockey is the ultimate team sport. A QB, starting pitcher, or star forward like MJ can take over a game...much harder for ANY single hockey player to do so.

Even the great 8 averages only 20 minutes...2/3rds of the game he's sitting on the bench.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You were lucky as McDavid was hurt for a better part of the year. If McDavid was not hurt I think they make the playoffs. McDavid is crazy good.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think the Oilers are fine with Tmac and Chirelli. They used this year to fully evaluate the players. They are trying to determine the right mix of players and the right attitudes. It was such a mess until now, it would have been hard to evaluate what you have, what you want to keep, and who you need to get rid of to change the culture. I think there will be major changes this off season.

As for the Oilers being really good, that won't happen until they fix their D. We have a better chance at being really good much sooner then the Oilers, simply because we a have a legit #1D in OEL. The Oilers need a 1D and a 2D. Klef might be a 2D but maybe not.

I will bet you a cocktail that the Oilers will be a good team before the Coyotes.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You were lucky as McDavid was hurt for a better part of the year. If McDavid was not hurt I think they make the playoffs. McDavid is crazy good.

I've seen him first-hand, I know how good he is. I also know that even with McDavid playing, we wiped the floor with the Oilers. And we are a mediocre hockey team right now.

A couple more months of McDavid would not have appreciably changed the fact that the Oilers are two points out of dead last in the league.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I've seen him first-hand, I know how good he is. I also know that even with McDavid playing, we wiped the floor with the Oilers. And we are a mediocre hockey team right now.

A couple more months of McDavid would not have appreciably changed the fact that the Oilers are two points out of dead last in the league.

I guess we will never know.:)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
To me, the Oilers are a classic, textbook example of an unbalanced team. They are top heavy with one way players. The team needs checking forwards as well as better defensemen.

Edmonton loses games due to an inability to protect their own net. While some might argue that fewer high powered forwards and more grinders would mean more losses, I disagree.

There are only so many rushes and so many scoring chances in a game. The many scoring forwards actually interfere with each other, keeping individual totals down. Fewer scorers would mean more goals individually, and the drop in team goals for would be more than compensated for by the drop in goals against.

This is why we need one or two lines of Gordons, Chipchurras and Plotnikovs on our team. We need to maintain a balance and not go the Edmonton route.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I will bet you a cocktail that the Oilers will be a good team before the Coyotes.

Is good defined as making the playoffs?

I'll take that bet. The Yotes will make the playoffs next year and will also have more points than the Oilers.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Finally a much needed loss. Losing the rest of the games will go very nicely towards a much needed free fall to the bottom 3.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

Why? They seem to have real structural problems in their team which would take more than 1 or 2 players to fix. High scoring and perhaps more points, yes. Better than the Coyotes? Not until their defense and goal tending are fixed.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
IMO the Oilers management is fine. That wasn't the case last season, but McLellan and Chia is a refreshing change from Lowe & Co. Now, they need to fix the actual roster. They need at least two Top-4 D. The goaltending is still a joke as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad