Post-Game Talk: GAME #76: Canucks 0 vs. Blue Jackets 5 | Weekend B2B with season on the line = outscored 8 - 1

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
And Torts might be the most entertaining coach in all of hockey. Stands up for his team...has legitimate disdain for many of the media doofuses; and has a fiery temper when his team sucks and under-performs.

Is he 'over the top' sometimes? Absolutely!. But how many coaches would charge after Bob Hartley in the tunnel after he felt the ugly Flames were lining up goons at the buzzer to take advantage of his team?

There hasn't been that kind of passion behind the bench in VanCity since he was fired.
Is that how some fans actually see that disgrace of a gesture? That was a personal vendetta. Torts was so mentally checked out of his job here....do I really have to trot out all the bullshit he said about the team and how badly he chucked the entire organization under the bus?

Reactions: DarrenX and Nomobo

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You always hope for the Canucks to play well and win, but I'm actually secretly pulling for Torts and the Jackets in this one. They need wins a lot more than the Canucks, who basically need as high a pick as they can get.

Love how the Jackets went all in at the trade deadline. And while it still may blow up in their faces, at least they're keeping faith with the fan-base in Columbus.

And Torts might be the most entertaining coach in all of hockey. Stands up for his team...has legitimate disdain for many of the media doofuses; and has a fiery temper when his team sucks and under-performs.

Is he 'over the top' sometimes? Absolutely!. But how many coaches would charge after Bob Hartley in the tunnel after he felt the ugly Flames were lining up goons at the buzzer to take advantage of his team?

There hasn't been that kind of passion behind the bench in VanCity since he was fired.
Passion..lol...Under Torts this team degenerated into an absolute comedy show..The storming of the oppositions dressing room and calling out the “stale” core was living theatre..

The sports world at large must have had a good chuckle..

Reactions: thekernel

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
RE: Baertschi...if Bae isn't going to call it a career (probably should), and doctors have given him an all clear, then getting him in before the season makes some sense for Baertschi in a "get back on the horse" kind of way. I'm not convinced taking the rest of the season would make much, if any, difference on Bae's health anyway.

Either way, he's one hit away from his career being over. If he can't make it through the rest of this season, is taking the next four months of from playing hockey (but likely going through intense workouts) really going to make any significant difference? If his brain is now too fragile, it's still going to be in October.

This isn't a "should" argument. "Should he" is something for Sven, his family, and his doctor to decide. I don't think the situation is the same as Manny's due to the measurableness of sight loss. IMO, if Baertschi still wants to play, and he's fully cleared, then he's earned the right to see if he still has the mental/emotional ability to play NHL hockey.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Baertschi plays one or two more games, then hangs them up.

Reactions: m9

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Really like this Torts. Wonder what changed, he seems less furious/mad nowadays.

I didn't like hiring Torts but I didn't find him unlikeable when he was here, generally. He was intelligent, passionate, and interesting. I wish the Calgary thing hadn't have happened because maybe in that alternate universe he stays on board and we don't have to sit through Willie Desjardins.

Reactions: Hemty

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I always liked Torts and I think we probably should've given him more of a chance here.

Interesting little fact is that he has never made the playoffs in his first full (or basically full in the case of Columbus) year with a team.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Let's hope EP hits 70 and BH/BB hit 60 each to end the season. We need something to look forward to in garbage time.

Reactions: nucks88

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Sitting outside the gate waiting for my buddy with the tickets, and my god there are a lot of fake jerseys. And one guy in a Leaf jersey.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Not liking how Goldobin only gets in because of Leivo being sick. He should be playing.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
What the hell happened to Wennberg? Scored 59 points as a 23 year old. 2 goals this year with 23 points...

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Columbus looks really big. yet really disinterested
UFA's don't want to deal with Torts longer than they have to so they have packed it in.
Guys with long term deals know if they miss the playoffs it means Torts likely gets canned and they don't have to deal with him in future years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad