Post-Game Talk: GAME #76: Canucks 0 vs. Blue Jackets 5 | Weekend B2B with season on the line = outscored 8 - 1

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Canucks easily handled in this one. Team looked gassed and breakdowns were constant. Couldn't establish any offense without leaving huge holes defensively and didn't have Markstrom to bail them out for egregious defensive lapses. Basically how we would look if tired and without Markstrom - which was the case.

Good

Schenn - playing for a contract somewhere. Certainly not "a new age defenseman" but doing what he does quite well. Like to see him with a better partner than Sautner and assess whether he still has anything left and whether the Canucks should consider him. Would like to keep him in the organization.

Bad

Demko - giving up way too much room. Made a few good saves but got ventilated on open shots. You have to wonder if this has been anything like a good development year for Demko.

Gaudette - can't establish himself in the play. Saying he is chasing the play is being kind. Very poor in his end

Biega/Edler - playing on fumes. Under too much pressure and couldn't maintain good coverage.

Virtanen - occasional sign of life but very little continuity in his play. Back to being on his own island most of the time. When he gets chances seems to get hare-triggered and lacks any poise.

Goldobin - back to his east-west type hockey. (guess that worked back in Russia) Always seems to want to go or move the puck sideways and never gets to the net. Again prone to bad turnovers and wasn't good in his end. Patience has to be wearing thin. Probably the Hansen trade, like the Burrows trade, has netted us nothing.

Eriksson - already well into his off season. Too busy counting his dough to worry much about actually playing.

Ugly

Baertschi - was probably the Canucks worst player in this game (and that's saying something). Easily shoved out of the play and didn't have the wheels to stay in the play. This player has been called a fringe top 6 but more likely is just overall fringe. Might well be worse than Eriksson. And we have two more years of this dead weight cap to go !!!! Thanks Dim One.

Pouliot - stunk bad. Terrible player. A Jimbo special.
To be fair to Baertschi he should have been shut down for year given his concussion history. His conditioning and timing were predictably off. he is a sitting target for another head injury. I blame his play on the gutless medical staff that cleared him to play.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Canucks have basically spent the last two games just chasing the puck. That's the difference when you're actually playing good hockey teams, and are a far better measuring stick on where you're at.

This is an AHL-quality blueline so I suppose the last couple of games were inevitable. They need to embrace the 'stealth tank' in the last six games. Rotate the goalies, give Quinn Hughes some big minutes. And try to lose out. The more balls in the lottery the better.

I said after the Flames game that once they play actual playoff teams/playoff spot contenders they only have a chance if the goaltending stands on their head. It's been that way all year and it was the same last night. Pettersson is awesome. Markstrom, however, is the clear MVP this year.

They don't need to embrace a stealth tank. They need to tank. You get Demko half the remaining games. You play Gaudette as a third line center (no I don't think he's ready but just give him ice). MacEwan should be up.

And honestly I'm not sure that's a tank as they might be better!

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I said after the Flames game that once they play actual playoff teams/playoff spot contenders they only have a chance if the goaltending stands on their head. It's been that way all year and it was the same last night. Pettersson is awesome. Markstrom, however, is the clear MVP this year.

They don't need to embrace a stealth tank. They need to tank. You get Demko half the remaining games. You play Gaudette as a third line center (no I don't think he's ready but just give him ice). MacEwan should be up.

And honestly I'm not sure that's a tank as they might be better!
That is a damning indictment of what Benning has done.....
Two players that clearly aren't ready for the NHL might improve the steaming turd pile Benning and co. have constructed.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
That is a damning indictment of what Benning has done.....
Two players that clearly aren't ready for the NHL might improve the steaming turd pile Benning and co. have constructed.

The entire season is an indictment of Benning for people who don't have their heads buried in the sand. The entire failure of a season lies on the supporting cast Benning carefully constructed over 5 off season to suppor the kids. To mentor them. To lift the team to success when the kids take strides forward. Horvat took steps, Pettersson was very good, Boeser has been fine, Markstrom very good, Hutton and Stecher took steps forward. That should have been a recipe for a decent team. Not a good team but a decent one. Not even one I would think had a chance at playoffs normally but in this season where half the teams in the West are just awful who knows.

Instead, if it wasn't for the play of Markstrom since Dec 1 it would be a team competing with the Sens and Kings for the most balls in the lottery. And yes I truly do feel that Markstrom is almost solely responsible for 10-15 points they had no business getting this season. Without Markstrom we would have seen the worst team points wise since Benning took over.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The entire season is an indictment of Benning for people who don't have their heads buried in the sand. The entire failure of a season lies on the supporting cast Benning carefully constructed over 5 off season to suppor the kids. To mentor them. To lift the team to success when the kids take strides forward. Horvat took steps, Pettersson was very good, Boeser has been fine, Markstrom very good, Hutton and Stecher took steps forward. That should have been a recipe for a decent team. Not a good team but a decent one. Not even one I would think had a chance at playoffs normally but in this season where half the teams in the West are just awful who knows.

Instead, if it wasn't for the play of Markstrom since Dec 1 it would be a team competing with the Sens and Kings for the most balls in the lottery. And yes I truly do feel that Markstrom is almost solely responsible for 10-15 points they had no business getting this season. Without Markstrom we would have seen the worst team points wise since Benning took over.
I’d say bring up anybody of value on the Comets and let them play. Problem is, the Comets are merely a reflection of the parent club. Too many fringe / marginal players.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I like Schenn. He'll never be what he was drafted to be, but he seems to be capable of staying cool in his zone and making a pass. If he works hard on the right things he could be a solid bottom pairing regular.

Kind of sad the only standout player was Schenn.

I also liked Pettersson cross-checking(pushing) Andersson over Sautner. Pettersson reminds me of my little dog. He wants to play big but he just isn't. He's like if Biega grew 4 inches, lost 20 pounds and was real good at hockey. He's got fire inside him!

Most of the team are like dogs you've given treats to for years and just roll over when they see you. Embarrassing for nothing to happen after that hit on Edler with our 4th line on the ice.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Vancouver shut out 10 times in 76 games this year. 13.1% not good at all.

need more top 6 forwards.

We had a chance to get Matt Tkatchuk and William Nylander! We’d have a solid first two lines right now if JB could draft in round one.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Vancouver shut out 10 times in 76 games this year. 13.1% not good at all.

need more top 6 forwards.
How many millions in cap space on this roster are occupied by bottom six forwards & how much offense (goals) do they supply? Only Rousel can look himself in the mirror and say "I've done my job & earned my check". Unless you're uber strong defensively, you have to be able to provide some offense even on 'checking lines/energy' lines. Places too much a burden on the top six if you don't.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's be objective here....the Canucks mini-streak came at the expense of teams in the Western Conference that are just about as bad as they are....stepping up in weight class over the weekend only underscores the gap between this team and some of the top NHL teams. Columbus is stacked---and I hope they make it.

As for the Canucks, they look to have three good young centers in Pettersson, Horvat and possibly Gaudette; one scoring winger in Boeser and a couple of goaltenders who look to be solid. But that're really about it.

I feel safe in predicting they're the worst zone possession team in the entire NHL...and have now been shut out a league leading 10 times.

The only question I have is this. Is the Benning regime reaching the same tipping point as Chiarelli in Edmonton? Where a change has to be made just to keep the faith with the fan-base?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad