GDT: Game 75: Flyers @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ+

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He got pushed in the side and fell awkwardly into the boards late in the game. We just got done praising Domi for going after guys for questionable hits on him and OEL. Same thing to me.
Dangerous, but not dirty, hit on one of their best players. I wish three of our guys would mug somebody after that (maybe we'd get more powerplays ;) ).

I agree.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
From what I saw, he went down, rolled over, and then played dead. Then, when the fisticuffs started, he was at the Flyer bench chatting with the other players. Unfortunately for him, he was down long enough that he had to go to the quiet room.

Definite dive. Definite embellishment.

I don't think your best player goes to the quiet room without reason. They were trying to win the game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I hated our chicken **** reaction to doan getting run. I'm glad hanzal did something, eye for an eye is fine with me, but I'd prefer we wreck the piece of **** that hurt doan. The difference in how each team reacted is what pisses me off. Philly did what a hockey team should do, they showed some ****ing spine, and went over to stick up for their captain. Out guys all skated in circles and looked down at the ice. What a bunch of *******.

Besides that whole fiasco, smitty looked pretty damn good, but apart from the 2 on 0 he didn't face many tough shots, just a lot of them. Stone's injury looked bad, hope he's not too jacked up.

I don't think Doan got run. You have to keep your emotions in check in a game like this. The Coyotes did and the Flyers didn't. Flyers were getting more and more frustrated because of the play of Smith and they let their emotions get the best of them when Hanzal hit Giroux. This game may have cost the Flyers the playoffs.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That hit on Doan should bring a 2 game suspension. For sure we need some players to play angry next year and so protect OEL and Domi. Love both of them but neither is a JR. Is Dvorak or Perlini a fighter? I heard Boynton's post game comments and I won't be surprised if he is let go this summer over his criticisms of the players. He's right, though.

The refs lost control of this game in the 3rd.

I'm going to look at the replay again, but I don't think you will see a suspension. The refs were not that good, but that's the way it goes. You lose some calls, you win some calls.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He's such a little *********. Troll. Love it.
Yes he is. I can see how he would get under the skin of opposing players.:)

Yup, and he singled out "6 foot 5, 200 pound Martin Hanzal". Said something about wanting to see Hanzal sticking up for his teammates just once.

He is wrong if that what he says.

Hanzal has to be very careful what he does and when. He's marked by the league. This is known.

Correct

Tippet does not like retaliation plays. Would rather see the team take advantage of a PP. Would not be surprised if there was a standing order not to retaliate and players risk reduced ice time or scratches if defying. To me that makes more sense than the whole team being gutless.

This was playoff hockey, it was a great game. You have to keep your emotions in check because if other teams know you will retaliate they will do whatever it takes to draw a penalty. I think the Coyotes knew this going into the game that the Flyers can be drawn into penalties. The smarter team won last night.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Yup, and he singled out "6 foot 5, 200 pound Martin Hanzal". Said something about wanting to see Hanzal sticking up for his teammates just once.

Good to hear one of our " analysts" actually say something real for once.

Either Hanzal accidentally blew his cover and is Superman or Giroux took a dive!

I don't think it was a dive, he left and didn't come back to a close game with under 2 minutes left that they needed to win for the playoff race. If you mean he dove and that caused his injury it's possible but I'm not sure on that either. I think hanzal may have nudged him off balance with his stick before his push, plus Marty is pretty giant and strong, it probably had more force behind it than it looked like.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm going to look at the replay again, but I don't think you will see a suspension. The refs were not that good, but that's the way it goes. You lose some calls, you win some calls.

I don't know if it is suspension worthy, but when a guy is down on his knees, you should not finish your check. That was where the injury occurred.

Initial hit is OK

Doan knocked to his knees

Doan is not injured at this point. He bounces off the wall...still ok. Puck is long gone.

Gudas decides to drive Doan's head into the boards. Absolutely should be a penalty, and is where Doan sustained a concussion.

No way a player can defend themselves in that situation. It's a dirty play, that shows no respect for your opponent.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
This was playoff hockey, it was a great game. The smarter team won last night.

Yes it was and yes they did. GREAT atmosphere in the building last night.

Some thoughts:

whiners' will whine - "game is boring" - even though they got the 16 11 10 line they been whining for and it was, as you said "playoff hockey" - albeit we don't have "playoff pressure to deal with. GREAT GAME.

I didn't call him "the stupid Nick Boynton" when he played for nothing.

Hanzal is much stronger than I thought he was. :sarcasm:

Tippett has 11 and 16 progressing nicely as they seem to understand the need for playing responsibly and trying to capitalize as opportunity arises, as opposed to forcing the play recklessly.

John Scott was not allowed to engage - no point in having a "John Scott". Sad, but true.

Retaliations were as they should be considering the direction of the league IMO.

Team able to play without a lot of pressure on them is a good thing for their development.

At town hall Maloney said: we're trying to build a winning culture and can hope to get lucky at the lottery - good to hear he's also interested in raising men.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't know if it is suspension worthy, but when a guy is down on his knees, you should not finish your check. That was where the injury occurred.

Initial hit is OK

Doan knocked to his knees

Doan is not injured at this point. He bounces off the wall...still ok. Puck is long gone.

Gudas decides to drive Doan's head into the boards. Absolutely should be a penalty, and is where Doan sustained a concussion.

No way a player can defend themselves in that situation. It's a dirty play, that shows no respect for your opponent.

The initial hit is fine, the follow through with his arm/elbow/shoulder to Doan's head is not. This is exactly what the NHL is trying to police, head hits, and head hits into the boards. I think he gets suspended for this reason.

Smith was really good last night. I also think Murphy's play is getting better. he could be a solid 2D for us if he keeps improving. I hated to see Stone go down, bet there are torn ligaments or stretched, likely done for the year, was having a good year.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I have a newfound respect for the Flyers fans on HF. Reading their board I see that they are brutally honest and not the brainless homers which I find on other boards.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The initial hit is fine, the follow through with his arm/elbow/shoulder to Doan's head is not. This is exactly what the NHL is trying to police, head hits, and head hits into the boards. I think he gets suspended for this reason.

Smith was really good last night. I also think Murphy's play is getting better. he could be a solid 2D for us if he keeps improving. I hated to see Stone go down, bet there are torn ligaments or stretched, likely done for the year, was having a good year.

After watching the hit again, I think I would agree that the second hit is suspect. I thought the puck was still on the boards but it wasn't. There was no need for that second hit as Doan was out of the play.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
After watching the hit again, I think I would agree that the second hit is suspect. I thought the puck was still on the boards but it wasn't. There was no need for that second hit as Doan was out of the play.

Yep, it was the second hit that was uncalled for.

shinola's gonna happen - league will most likely deal with it and while these types of hits won't be eliminated.... cause shnola's gonna happen, they will be reduces. The unfortunate side affect is some of the great hits will be reduced as well, because players will obviously be hesitant.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
That hit on Doan should bring a 2 game suspension. For sure we need some players to play angry next year and so protect OEL and Domi. Love both of them but neither is a JR. Is Dvorak or Perlini a fighter? I heard Boynton's post game comments and I won't be surprised if he is let go this summer over his criticisms of the players. He's right, though.

The refs lost control of this game in the 3rd.

No, but Fischer and Jones are.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The league has been watching Gudas all season - he's got a penchant for stupid, overly aggressive play. Like Carcillo but without the self-control.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I am a fan of having a slightly crazy/scary #5 or #6 dman. They are on the ice way more than a 13th forward so have a better chance to retaliate/punish the opposing team. Trouble is there are not many of that ilk.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
He left the game, so I don't think it was a dive.

I don't think your best player goes to the quiet room without reason. They were trying to win the game.

Very possible the NHL has had a crackdown on handling potential concussions following the Dennis Wideman fiasco where the NHL's spotter called to the bench to have Wideman evaluated for a concussion. The Flames staff talked to him on the bench and let him keep playing, not going through standard concussion protocol testing. Later after the game and the impending suspension for Wideman the Flames announced he had been diagnosed with a concussion following the game.

The Flyers brass and Giroux himself have said he was fine last night after the game and is fine today.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Very possible the NHL has had a crackdown on handling potential concussions following the Dennis Wideman fiasco where the NHL's spotter called to the bench to have Wideman evaluated for a concussion. The Flames staff talked to him on the bench and let him keep playing, not going through standard concussion protocol testing. Later after the game and the impending suspension for Wideman the Flames announced he had been diagnosed with a concussion following the game.

The Flyers brass and Giroux himself have said he was fine last night after the game and is fine today.

Giroux's incident happened right across the ice from my seats. We were all quite concerned as he lay there until he poked his head up to see if any refs were around. When he saw them all occupied with the scrum, he got up and skated down the ice with his hands on his knees. When the refs/linesmen still didn't look at him, he skated over to the Flyers bench and started chatting up the backup goalie.

I normally am very conservative with head injuries because of my own history with them, but he didn't show any instability or wobbliness at all. No disorientation. None of the telltales that you usually get with a hit of that type.

I'm sure the impact hurt. But man, he oversold the aftermath. A LOT.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I am a fan of having a slightly crazy/scary #5 or #6 dman. They are on the ice way more than a 13th forward so have a better chance to retaliate/punish the opposing team. Trouble is there are not many of that ilk.

Who ever would've thought we'd be sitting here wishing that Dylan McIlrath slid to us instead of Gormley?!?!? Haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad