GDT: Game 75: Columbus at St. Louis | 3/28 8PM EDT

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
The day before the CBJ run (10 wins in 12 games) the team was battling for the 5-6 draft spot. Twenty points later...and feeling good about those twenty points...the CBJ are battling for the 6-8 draft spot. Not sure that's really "screwing".

Can you GUARANTEE the #5 player drafted will be better than the #8 player?

I didn't think so.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The day before the CBJ run (10 wins in 12 games) the team was battling for the 5-6 draft spot. Twenty points later...and feeling good about those twenty points...the CBJ are battling for the 6-8 draft spot. Not sure that's really "screwing".

I didn't think so.

It's only a shame that post has no basis in reality. We were "battling" for the 4th pick, firmly in 5th. Now we have the 7th and getting ready to leapfrog Philly for the 8th.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the winning as much as anyone, but playing loose because you have no pressure seems to be what this franchise does best.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
It's only a shame that post has no basis in reality. We were "battling" for the 4th pick, firmly in 5th. Now we have the 7th and getting ready to leapfrog Philly for the 8th.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the winning as much as anyone, but playing loose because you have no pressure seems to be what this franchise does best.

You shouldn't need to be reminded that last year and the year before, our streaks of very high level hockey occurred in the very thick of playoff races.

So, it's a good thing your post has no basis in reality

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

CBJ fans; where we make history whatever we want it to be to fit our narrative at any given moment..

Someone else already mentioned what we did when games mattered the last two seasons. How quickly we "forget".

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Fine, my bad. can you guarantee this year's #4 pick will be a better NHL player than the #8 player? You still can't.

You know the whole "playing loose" would have more merit if we were playing Buffalo the last twelve games. We are beating Anaheim, Chicago, St Louis and teams battling for the playoffs like Vancouver and Calgary. It's harder to play loose when your opponent is scratching and crawling for every point.

The difference is this team is healthier in the last month than they have been all season. Drafting high hasn't exactly helped Edmonton and drafting low hasn't stopped Boston, Detroit or LA from being perennial playoff teams...and SC winners.

I would be way more concerned if we got all our players back from injury (the excuse we heard all season) and the team was still tanking. Concerned that JK & JD don't know what they are doing, concerned Richie needed to be replaced, concerned that the club needed to significantly overhaul the roster and concerned one high draft pick is not going to cure all of the team's troubles (that's where the whole Rick Nash draft scenario played out...it didn't work).

Winning changes all of that. It has me confident this team can win with the parts it has and just needs tweaking rather than a blowup. It gives me the confidence that Richie should stay and that the organization and players believe in him.

Put this another way...I assume you would prefer to be picking #4 rather than #8. Of course...who wouldn't. But to pick #4 we would have to be Toronto. Would you trade the Columbus organization plus the #8 pick for the Leafs organization plus the #4 pick? I wouldn't want to make that swap with any of the teams below us in the standings...and quite a few above us too. Yes I realize this paragraph is all hyperbole but it makes a point...to get the high pick you really need to suck...and I don't want to really suck.

We are fine where we are...we should get an excellent prospect in the top ten and we can only hope we are healthy to start next season and can keep the train rolling in the right direction.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Fine, my bad. can you guarantee this year's #4 pick will be a better NHL player than the #8 player? You still can't.

Awesome game last night eh? We're beating a lot of great teams that are desperate for points. That Cam kid is pretty hot right now. Dano and Hartnell have some crazy chemistry and are providing some great secondary scoring.

Oh wait, that's right.. We're not going to talk about the game are we?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Doggy-
You ask if I can guarantee the 4th pick will be better than the 8th pick. Answer is no.

Now let me ask you - does playing well at end of one season have any bearing on how the team will play the next season?

That is my concern - we (recently) have been a second half team. At same time the 2nd half has rarely led us to a good start the next year.

I also come back to this. The goal is to not be an average team (and honestly in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs, average is a playoff team). The goal is to win championships. I think we are likely 2-4 players away from that, and not just 2-4 NHL caliber players but 2-4 high level players. We have Bob and RyJo who are givens, but we need Bob to play better (like last season and need RyJo to keep progressing). Then we have a series of complimentary pieces - Dubi, Jenner, Foligno.
But I think we need 2 top 4 d-men and at least one top line winger (likely 2 top 6 forwards, but not as certain about that). We're not adding all these pieces this off-season. And given our salary restraints (lot of bad contracts) it will likely be 2017-18 until we can make them all fit. Now I do think in 2016-17 we could add a couple pieces (maybe Wenneberg or another young forward becomes a top 6 forward). But this team is not ready to win championships any time soon. At best we get in the playoffs (with a 6-8 seed) and get matched up against a team that has all the pieces. That could/should even happen in 2015-16 (sliding into playoffs) - but a lot of pieces to add, lot of bad contracts to wait to expire and a lot of maturing/experience needs to be gained. So I'd rather have a top 4 pick this season than 8th (or so). No not a guarantee of future success but look at the CBJ track record of picking 5th-8th, vs other teams that have been worse than the CBJ and quickly risen above us. Besides Edmonton no body else has been as bad as the CBJ and not gotten farther.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014

You are absolutely right. Some weeks ago we were battling for Hanifin, this day with Mike Reilly uncertain status quo :) we are absolutely comfortably " battling" for Werenski ( ISS 10 he is RHD we need badly) or probably...probably Provorov( ISS 9 he is not bad too ). But when your noblest checking line consists of TOP 6 centers ( Arty - Dubi - Nick, could You tell another similar 3 line in NHL today?) and yours prospect centers ( Alex and William) are fine I can ask myself about actual need of another C. Wingers? Clarkson, Bourque, Calvert, Skille injured now but next season they are ok plus Falcons Rychel and Milano ( Milano maybe not;)) are waiting spot here and potentially Moses (how true?) again. Defence now is our weak position, imho we are going to draft D. Only IMHO :)

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
No, I don't think this momentum can really carry over to next season. We've had pretty good March and Aprils recently and still continue to have bad starts to the season. But I am fine with them winning at this point, even if it costs us a few slots. Hopefully we don't make up the 6-8 points we have on that group of Colorodo, San Jose, Florida, Dallas and jump up like to #12, 13, but oh well. We are actually over .500 somehow. That isn't something I saw happening again before the end of the season.

We are getting healthier in our top 6. I would think this is the first time, the last couple games, that we have had our entire top 6 (even though we havent been lining up like this)
Jenner-Johansen-Foligno
Hartnell-Dubinsky-Atkinson

The injuries have shifted more to our bottom 6 for the first time this season.

Karlsson has looked good. The team looks pretty solid right now, and the wave of forward prospects is going to be pushing everyone very soon. They are all on the verge of being impact players. I know that has been said of prospects in the past, but we have 5-6 first round quality forwards that are within a year or two of being impact players, not to mention the young core of forwards already established.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH

You know the whole "playing loose" would have more merit if we were playing Buffalo the last twelve games. We are beating Anaheim, Chicago, St Louis and teams battling for the playoffs like Vancouver and Calgary. It's harder to play loose when your opponent is scratching and crawling for every point.

The difference is this team is healthier in the last month than they have been all season. Drafting high hasn't exactly helped Edmonton and drafting low hasn't stopped Boston, Detroit or LA from being perennial playoff teams...and SC winners.

I would be way more concerned if we got all our players back from injury (the excuse we heard all season) and the team was still tanking. Concerned that JK & JD don't know what they are doing, concerned Richie needed to be replaced, concerned that the club needed to significantly overhaul the roster and concerned one high draft pick is not going to cure all of the team's troubles (that's where the whole Rick Nash draft scenario played out...it didn't work).

Winning changes all of that. It has me confident this team can win with the parts it has and just needs tweaking rather than a blowup. It gives me the confidence that Richie should stay and that the organization and players believe in him.

Put this another way...I assume you would prefer to be picking #4 rather than #8. Of course...who wouldn't. But to pick #4 we would have to be Toronto. Would you trade the Columbus organization plus the #8 pick for the Leafs organization plus the #4 pick? I wouldn't want to make that swap with any of the teams below us in the standings...and quite a few above us too. Yes I realize this paragraph is all hyperbole but it makes a point...to get the high pick you really need to suck...and I don't want to really suck.

We are fine where we are...we should get an excellent prospect in the top ten and we can only hope we are healthy to start next season and can keep the train rolling in the right direction.

:handclap:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
You shouldn't need to be reminded that last year and the year before, our streaks of very high level hockey occurred in the very thick of playoff races.

So, it's a good thing your post has no basis in reality

You have just stated the exceptions for this franchise's history, whereas I have stated the rule.

P.S. I apologize for my previous reply to you being a little overly snarky.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
First of all I think some of you guys need to develop at least a modest sense of humor. It helps. I don't believe anyone including me, who has been one of the more vocal "hopers" for a low pick, ever rooted for a loss. Not being upset by one yes, rooting for it, no. Wishing for a well played loss, yes.

Secondly the draft position is not the only thing at stake here - a better chance of winning the Connor McDavid sweepstakes is also in play and frankly is the most important imo. I am willing to bet anyone that in 10 years barring injury McDavid will be a better player than whoever we draft, be it 4th or 10th.

Finally, I don't believe this latest rush will have any major impact on the long term success of this franchise, just like I don't think the couple of losing streaks have irreparably harmed the team. When this team is healthy and playing like they are playing it is a pretty good team. SC champion caliber? On paper probably not but if they caught fire at the right time, yeah I believe they could be.

99 CBJ

Mar 7, 2009
Columbus
I think winning at this time of year in this situation is going to help in the future, draft position be damned. The history of this team is not believing it can beat the better teams, like 0-4 to Pitt. last season. But they learned something in the playoffs last season, that they could win even in Pitt. This year, right now they are learning they can beat anyone (mainly playoff teams) and that will go a long way next season with whoever we draft. Winning begets winning and weather it's playing loose or being healthy that is winning games right now i'll take the wins.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think winning at this time of year in this situation is going to help in the future, draft position be damned. The history of this team is not believing it can beat the better teams, like 0-4 to Pitt. last season. But they learned something in the playoffs last season, that they could win even in Pitt. This year, right now they are learning they can beat anyone (mainly playoff teams) and that will go a long way next season with whoever we draft. Winning begets winning and weather it's playing loose or being healthy that is winning games right now i'll take the wins.
Yep, especially with the young guys. Watch Connauton and Goloubef in the Chicago game for instance, they gain noticeable confidence during the course of the match. If winning now means they go in next season with the confidence that they can smack down top teams, I'm all for it.

Also, a hot end to the season gives incentive and motivation to work hard over the summer.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
it was so great of the blues organization to split the group of 54 of us up into 3 different sections....

great time, as usual, on the bus trips...the drunk girl in front of us yelling "CPK" (yes, california pizza kitchen) all night b/c that's what she thought we were chanting made the night...

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

I didn't think so.

I'll take this winning streak and the potential it proves we have, over a few draft spots. This team is playing very well on the road vs teams jockeying for playoff position. The scoring is coming from all over the line up, unlike early season when Joey and Nick were doing all the offensive work.

I tend to agree that 5 vs 8 isn't a big deal.......but these list may shock you.

#5 vs #8 picks going back to year 2000.

5th overalls:
Dal Colle
Lindholm
M Rielly
Strome
Niederreiter
B Schenn
L Schenn
Alzner
Kessel
C Price
B Wheeler
T Vanek
Whitney
Chistov
Torres

8th overalls:
Nylander
Ristolainen
Poulliot
Coutourier
Burmistrov
Glennie
Boedker
Hamill
Mueller
Setoguchi
A Picard
Coburn
PM Bouchard
P Leclaire
Alexeev

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
:sarcasm:
I'll take this winning streak and the potential it proves we have, over a few draft spots. This team is playing very well on the road vs teams jockeying for playoff position. The scoring is coming from all over the line up, unlike early season when Joey and Nick were doing all the offensive work.

I tend to agree that 5 vs 8 isn't a big deal.......but these list may shock you.

#5 vs #8 picks going back to year 2000.

5th overalls:
Dal Colle
Lindholm
M Rielly
Strome
Niederreiter
B Schenn
L Schenn
Alzner
Kessel
C Price
B Wheeler
T Vanek
Whitney
Chistov
Torres

8th overalls:
Nylander
Ristolainen
Poulliot
Coutourier
Burmistrov
Glennie
Boedker
Hamill
Mueller
Setoguchi
A Picard
Coburn
PM Bouchard
P Leclaire
Alexeev

lol. Kinda proves what most people have been saying I guess.

But didn't ya know, in THIS DRAFT the 8th best player is a TOP 5 in most years:sarcasm:

The flip side is the fifth best player (strome) would be the first in most years appearantly.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
:sarcasm:

lol. Kinda proves what most people have been saying I guess.

But didn't ya know, in THIS DRAFT the 8th best player is a TOP 5 in most years:sarcasm:

The flip side is the fifth best player (strome) would be the first in most years appearantly.

The third side - Raffi Torres was the 5th overall pick??!!! I'd forgotten.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
And Brule was a #6....although that's only because MacLean was a hockey drafting idiot!

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Don't sell Doug short, he's a complete idiot

VQLGJOL.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad