GDT: Game 75: Arizona Clayton Kellers Vs. St. Louis Non-Kellers - 5 PM - FSAZ

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sometimes I think this guy is behind our goal making sure the slot is clear for opposing shooters.

article-1313946-0B4A70CC000005DC-965_634x337.jpg

Oh shirt! Jimmy Playfair gotta playoff beard!

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'll use a Nash'ism

Our centers are the worst in the league "I can tell you that"

Besides Dvorak, Burmistrov was awful, Jooris isn't good, and Martinook is an awful center.

With Strome coming in and playing 3rd line minutes, Dvorak getting better and playing 2nd line minutes, Richardson holding down 4th line minutes, if we could just land a center that can produce at a decent clip it would do wonders for all these wingers.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
You need your own corner of the yard to dump your **** about Tippett. He's not a top coach, yet he has a great reputation around the league. He's clearly not one of the worst. He's clearly not what's wrong with this team.

Tippett has never had the personel to play a speed game. This year he has the talent but the talent has no experience, so we see errant stretch passes left and right.

As to the defensive system, with OEL playing like garbage, an underperforming Murphy, and forwards too young to play a more flowing defense, a trap game is called for. Next year will be the first year where the Coyotes can play the beautiful game on offense and defense, not the boring dump and chase, and trap game.

Perhaps Tippett won't be a part of it. Who knows?

As I've stated numerous times in the past, Tippett is a great coach when you have a team of big slow old guys. But he has never developed a young forward into anything special. Ever.

Tippett has coached his same system for the past 15 years. Not sure why you think he'll decide to change it anytime soon. Tippett never played a speed or skill game, and has never coached it. Even when he coached the Stars and had players like Ribeiro, Morrow, Richards, and Modano. There is about a 0% chance we play a fun style of hockey to watch when Tippett is the coach.

The coach doesn't fit the team. The dump and chase style also doesn't fit the team. We have small, skilled, young forwards. Dump and chase works for the big strong slow guys who don't have the skill to get the puck into the zone. Having Max Domi dump a puck into the zone, then losing it right away because he's 5'3" isn't the way to get possession.

And maybe the fact that OEL, Murphy, Goligoski, Schenn are ALL under preforming is, I don't know, maybe the system the coaches think is best?

Tippett was great in 2010-12 when we didn't have any young forwards on the roster. But once the Daymond Langkows, Ray Whitneys, Taylor Pyatts and Vern Fiddlers of the world turn into Domi, Duclair, Dvorak, Perlini, and now Keller.... Tippett is useless.

But I'll sign Tippett to a 80 year contract if it means we get rid of Todd ****ing Walsh.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Keller's first game with the Kellers looked pretty blah, imo. I suppose it is to be expected, as most of the Kellers' rookies had training camp and preseason to figure out what the other Kellers are going to do. Keller looked like he was always taking a second to figure out what is happening. By the time the Kellers hit game 82, I bet he looks a lot better.

Also, Keller played emotionally and physically draining OT playoff games on Friday and Saturday, travels to SL, signs first contract, meets friends and family, first NHL practice, lots of interviews....yada, yada, yada.

Can't really expect much from the kid his 1st game.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
You need your own corner of the yard to dump your **** about Tippett. He's not a top coach, yet he has a great reputation around the league. He's clearly not one of the worst. He's clearly not what's wrong with this team.

Tippett has never had the personel to play a speed game. This year he has the talent but the talent has no experience, so we see errant stretch passes left and right.

As to the defensive system, with OEL playing like garbage, an underperforming Murphy, and forwards too young to play a more flowing defense, a trap game is called for. Next year will be the first year where the Coyotes can play the beautiful game on offense and defense, not the boring dump and chase, and trap game.

Perhaps Tippett won't be a part of it. Who knows?

Give it up. If there's one thing I learned from last year's presidential election, it's that there's no stopping somebody with a hobby horse, rational or not.

I'd disagree about "underperming" Murphy, however. I think we're seeing what we're going to get with Murphy: a third-pairing defenseman on most teams.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Next year will be the first year where the Coyotes can play the beautiful game on offense and defense, not the boring dump and chase, and trap game.

Really? Can you elucidate why you believe this? I don't see this team playing a single whit differently next year than this year.

Also, Keller played emotionally and physically draining OT playoff games on Friday and Saturday, travels to SL, signs first contract, meets friends and family, first NHL practice, lots of interviews....yada, yada, yada.

The kid had to withstand multiple Todd Walsh interviews. That he was even conscious enough to dress for the game is a testament to his fortitude. :laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Give it up. If there's one thing I learned from last year's presidential election, it's that there's no stopping somebody with a hobby horse, rational or not.

I'd disagree about "underperming" Murphy, however. I think we're seeing what we're going to get with Murphy: a third-pairing defenseman on most teams.

I have said Murphy is a third pairing for a year now. He is what he is.

Really? Can you elucidate why you believe this? I don't see this team playing a single whit differently next year than this year.

The kid had to withstand multiple Todd Walsh interviews. That he was even conscious enough to dress for the game is a testament to his fortitude. :laugh:

We have already seen this team play a speed game at times this year. With more talent and speed you will see that increase.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Theoretically the kids will continue to improve, and GMJC will pull a a rabbit out of his hat and acquire a 1C.

Playoff run next year, div title run year after that, and the Cup is ours the following year,..EASY ;)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Correct. I'm not expecting much from Keller the rest of the year.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
We have already seen this team play a speed game at times this year. With more talent and speed you will see that increase.

I don't think you can predict that. Speed is important in the NHL but possession is even more critical, and this team is AWFUL at possession. Pair that with our porous defense and you get a recipe for more of the same of what we've seen for the past few years.

We have a ton of potential in the pipeline, there's no question, but execution is our Achilles heel - not just the ability to execute, but questions about WHAT they're executing.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't think you can predict that. Speed is important in the NHL but possession is even more critical, and this team is AWFUL at possession. Pair that with our porous defense and you get a recipe for more of the same of what we've seen for the past few years.

We have a ton of potential in the pipeline, there's no question, but execution is our Achilles heel - not just the ability to execute, but questions about WHAT they're executing.

Execution should improve with age/experience...no?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree. As our talent improves and matures I hope to see much better possession. Our D has to be upgraded, but more puck possession should also help the D look much better.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ

Absolutely correct, but at the moment we have Dvorak/Holland/Jooris/Martinook down the middle, they aren't helping possession numbers at all. We are the worst possession team in the NHL and with those Centers (excluding Dvorak) it's not hard to figure out.

If we can get something close to a 40pt center, with the maturation of Dvorak, Inclusion of Strome and rehabbed Richardson, those possession numbers should improve dramatically

Let's get those wingers the puck - Domi/Duclair/Keller/Perlini/Fischer/Vrbata/Crouse/Martinook those are some nice wingers...now lets get them some Centers to play with

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

If you check out the link I posted yesterday in the roster thread, there's evidence to suggest he's performing as our 3rd best D, after OEL and Goligoski, and on the same level as some highly valued D arounf the league, like Faulk. It's not my work so I can't vouch for the math but at least it's an objective measure.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

Watch the games closely. Last year it was mostly get the puck past the red line and dump it in. This year Domi, Reider and Perlini routinely break the moment we achieve puck possession in our own end and plenty of stretch passes are attempted. Also, when Domi and Perlini are on the ice, I see a lot more rushes than I ever did last year.

This is a transition year from the old system of dump and chase to a puck possession system. It hasn't been successful this year, but it is being implemented.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I know the height difference, but is he more physically at his peak than Turris was?

He's a lot quicker and shiftier than Turris so he won't need to put on too much mass, but he is definitely not physically mature yet. He's listed at 5'10/168, and I'd guess he needs to get to about 180 to be as effective as he could be. Would not be a surprise or a setback for him to start next season in the AHL where his scrawniness will be less of a liability as the rest of his game develops. Even at the college level, he was getting muscled off pucks and losing board battles.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
If you check out the link I posted yesterday in the roster thread, there's evidence to suggest he's performing as our 3rd best D, after OEL and Goligoski, and on the same level as some highly valued D arounf the league, like Faulk. It's not my work so I can't vouch for the math but at least it's an objective measure.

Fair enough. So, I wouldn't disagree with him being the third best (or second pairing) D here, on a team with bottom-half D league-wide. That places him in the #4 or #5 spot on most other teams. Maybe I exaggerated a bit to make a point, but I just don't see Murphy as having all that much that much value. I'd be all for packaging him up in a trade for a decent center.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
He's a lot quicker and shiftier than Turris so he won't need to put on too much mass, but he is definitely not physically mature yet. He's listed at 5'10/168, and I'd guess he needs to get to about 180 to be as effective as he could be. Would not be a surprise or a setback for him to start next season in the AHL where his scrawniness will be less of a liability as the rest of his game develops. Even at the college level, he was getting muscled off pucks and losing board battles.

Yeah, he reminded me of Turris in his 2008-09 season, when he was rushed by Gretzky into too many minutes. It took him a couple seasons of maturing until he was an effective player. I hope Keller begins next season in Tucson.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

If he gets the Turris treatment his size is an issue. If he gets the Marner treatment hopefully we get Marner ie a top line winger in his rookie season.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
If he gets the Turris treatment his size is an issue. If he gets the Marner treatment hopefully we get Marner ie a top line winger in his rookie season.

Marner is a better model given Keller's style of play. He's also got a more diverse skill set than Turris, not to mention a more refined defensive game.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Marner is a better model given Keller's style of play. He's also got a more diverse skill set than Turris, not to mention a more refined defensive game.

I'll second this...just from watching he was way more responsible defensively than Turris was in the beginning.

Also, Keller lost some battles along the boards, but he also won some, and you could tell he's a hound in the offensive end...which is what we need. I see it as the difference between Domi & Vrbata. He is more Domi, while Turris is more Vrbata.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad