Post-Game Talk: GAME 73 - WIN 57 TIES FRANCHISE RECORD - WIN 27 ON ROAD BREAKS FRANCHISE RECORD - BRUINS 4 Whalercanes 3 F/SO

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don't think that was a tactic. Those guys were banged up and under the weather and it was smart to rest them after that Tampa game. They're going to rest anybody who has even a minor issue rest of the year.

Carolina will be tough if we meet them in the playoffs. So fast and so determined and Staal is still going to be a pain to deal with. Remember last year he owned Bergeron in that series. Home ice will be very important.

Those guys have been banged up for weeks and colds come and go and players will often play through them. Monty could have rested them at any point in the last month or in the next couple of weeks but he chose to do it here, even though this is far from the only b2b the Bruins play. I don't believe that's a coincidence.

I'm not touting this as a significant consideration or as part of some sort of master plan. I just think Monty didn't want to show his full hand against a potential future playoff opponent at this late stage of the year or give them the chance of gaining any sort of plausible psychological edge. He held back and was probably right to do so. Can't prove it of course, but that's my interpretation of things.

I agree though that Carolina will be a very tough matchup if it comes to it. They are built for the playoffs, they're gritty and they have good depth. Goaltending is a bit iffy but it's solid enough to give them a fair chance. They'll miss Svechnikov but it's not a terminal loss and if the Bruins themselves make it that deep without any important injuries then they will have been lucky. I thought the Canes would beat us last year and so it proved. However all things being equal I like our chances more this season, but it would not be easy. We will see if it comes to it, both teams are going to have very challenging second rounds before we ever get that far.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
So nice to see all the call ups responding well and contributing. Always nice to win about the Canes and whiny Rob. I really cannot stand that franchise.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Those guys have been banged up for weeks and colds come and go and players will often play through them. Monty could have rested them at any point in the last month or in the next couple of weeks but he chose to do it here, even though this is far from the only b2b the Bruins play. I don't believe that's a coincidence.

I'm not touting this as a significant consideration or as part of some sort of master plan. I just think Monty didn't want to show his full hand against a potential future playoff opponent at this late stage of the year or give them the chance of gaining any sort of plausible psychological edge. He held back and was probably right to do so. Can't prove it of course, but that's my interpretation of things.

I agree though that Carolina will be a very tough matchup if it comes to it. They are built for the playoffs, they're gritty and they have good depth. Goaltending is a bit iffy but it's solid enough to give them a fair chance. They'll miss Svechnikov but it's not a terminal loss and if the Bruins themselves make it that deep without any important injuries then they will have been lucky. I thought the Canes would beat us last year and so it proved. However all things being equal I like our chances more this season, but it would not be easy. We will see if it comes to it, both teams are going to have very challenging second rounds before we ever get that far.
:thumbu:

Fantastic work as usual. Great post.

Not to start a sidebar (but I’m going to, anyway), but how did an Australian become an NHL hockey fan, and why the Boston Bruins in particular? I’m kind of surprised I haven’t asked you this before.

:popcorn:

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Bruins need 6 pts to clinch Presidents trophy but get this.Money Puck gives Bruins 38.5% chance to reach conference finals but Carolina has a 48.3% chance .Guess they never used Gary Bettmans logic of things are fine.

Our path is deemed harder because we have to play Toronto is my guess. Which is surprising as the Rags match up well against the Canes.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1679915970508.png

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
:thumbu:

Fantastic work as usual. Great post.

Not to start a sidebar (but I’m going to, anyway), but how did an Australian become an NHL hockey fan, and why the Boston Bruins in particular? I’m kind of surprised I haven’t asked you this before.

:popcorn:

Thanks!

I first got into hockey thanks to the Winter Olympics. A good chunk of the Olympic games were always shown on our local TV and when I first saw it as a kid I was instantly hooked. Every 4 years I'd look forward to the hockey. It's quite similar to our native game, Aussie Rules Football, even if the dimensions and nature of the arenas are very different- both sports are fast, physical and require athletes who combine strength, explosiveness and endurance - so there was probably a natural affinity there for that reason. Incidentally that's why I always think the NHL should wherever possible support the ability of its players to represent in the Olympics, because it does help to market the sport.

As for the Bruins, three factors at work I guess. They're original 6 and as such have a reputation beyond North America - even in our little backwoods corner of the world where it never snows and we don't have real winters, they're at least sort of known, even if very few people could tell you the first thing about them. On top of that, when it first started to become a lot easier to watch NHL games or at least highlights here in the late 2000s, the Bruins were of course a team on the rise that played an attractive style and had a number of players who were good to watch. So they drew my attention. And finally Boston and my state capital Melbourne are quite similar cities - both are coastal, sports mad, have a strong Irish heritage and lively pub/bar and music scenes, are big on seafood, and have a bit of grittiness about them. That helped make the Bs seem like a natural fit as a team to support.

Really that's about it. There's no personal connection, or any one really compelling reason why I should have chosen the Bruins over a handful of other teams. But that's where I landed, 2011 probably solidified my affinity, and once the decision was made it stuck and it's just grown from there. Speaking of 2011, I enjoyed that Cup but I wasn't really immersed in the Bruins anything like I am now. So to win another one would be amazing and a much bigger deal for me. We live in hope!

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
I wouldn't mind starting Linus or Sway know the playoffs. I'm THAT confident in our goalies. It's a special, special time folks. Cherish this.
If these two goalies can win with rotating them in the playoffs....why not. I think it would be beneficial for this team and make this team stronger with both of them feeding off each other. Many here will say don't do this I'm sure.

Reactions: rfournier103

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Here's some fun memories:

The 70/71 team that won 57 games was a juggernaut. They shattered dozens of records.

Those 57 wins were not only a Bruins record, but a new league record at the time, and they broke the most goals by a team record by nearly a hundred goals, lol. Ending up with 399. They also set the points record, with 121.

Espo set the new goal record with 76, and the new points record with 152. And Bobby set the assists record with 102, becoming the first player to ever get 100 assists in a season as well.

The Bruins also had the top four scorers in the league, Esposito (with 152 points), Bobby Orr (with 139), Johnny Bucyk (116) and Hodge (105), the first time in history this was achieved (and its only been done once more, again by the Bruins, a few years later in 1974 [Espo/Orr/Hodge/Cashman the second time]).

They had six of the top eight scorers in the league. Seven of the top eleven. Both records.

They had also set the new record for points at every position: center (Esposito), left wing (Bucyk) right wing (Hodge) and defence (Orr).

This behemoth of a team would go on to shockingly lose in the first round to the Montreal Canadiens, and their rookie goaltender Ken Dryden ("a damn octopus" -Esposito), who had only played six NHL games.

So history has them sandwiched in-between our two Cup wins.

They are our "best" team, but they didn't win the Cup that year.

Well, ...now we'll have a new "best" team, after our next win.

This time let's hope we can finish it off the way we all want to, and hoist the Cup again!

Still hard to believe they lost to Montreal who didn't have
Savard the entire PO. That said, if Montreal had Savard, Laperierre
and Dryden the entire year, the gap would not had been as great and the loss so shocking. Both #18 and #2 missed like 30 games each.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00