Post-Game Talk: GAME 73 - WIN 57 TIES FRANCHISE RECORD - WIN 27 ON ROAD BREAKS FRANCHISE RECORD - BRUINS 4 Whalercanes 3 F/SO

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I thought so too. Great energy from Steen, until Monty benched him in the 3rd. That was unfortunate, but Jim's not shy about sitting younger players when he feels it's warranted.

I wonder why he felt it was warranted. Nothing poor from him jumped out at me last night. Saying that I know coaches see things very differently than your average fan. Or maybe it became a tight game and he Monty doesn't trust Steen in those situations yet.

Sometimes a player sits because the coach just wants his best players on the ice. It doesn't mean Steen was struggling or even that Monty doesn't trust Steen. It's just about the coach trying to get the best players on the ice as often as possible, to give the team the best chance to win.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Sometimes a player sits because the coach just wants his best players on the ice. It doesn't mean Steen was struggling or even that Monty doesn't trust Steen. It's just about the coach trying to get the best players on the ice as often as possible, to give the team the best chance to win.

Yeah I acknowledge that. Greer disappeared too and Lauko got injured, so Monty basically condensed to 3 lines for the last 12 mins then stuck to the stars for OT, as you do. I get all that, but I wonder if at this point of the season it would on balance be more beneficial to give the younger/depth guys some more experience in these high-pressure situations over pushing all out for another nice but not wholly necessary win. Minor quibble, but just something I've mused about.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Yeah I acknowledge that. Greer disappeared too and Lauko got injured, so Monty basically condensed to 3 lines for the last 12 mins then stuck to the stars for OT, as you do. I get all that, but I wonder if at this point of the season it would on balance be more beneficial to give the younger/depth guys some more experience in these high-pressure situations over pushing all out for another nice but not wholly necessary win. Minor quibble, but just something I've mused about.
Normally I agree 100% with your logic about giving the younger guys some experience in these high pressure situations, but there's bad blood between these two teams and Monty probably wanted to give the B's (what he thought) the best chance to beat these a-holes by playing his more experienced players down the stretch....especially since they haven't won in Carowhina in quite awhile

..just my 2 cents

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Ummmmmmmm, nope, that one doesn't seem to bother him for some reason.
Poor Rod probably thinks his team is the only one in the league that gets bad calls

He should open his freakin eyes a bit wider, but he's whined soooo much over the years that his face has developed a permanent scowl

1679972742709.jpeg

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I'm not saying Jake's troubles had nothing to do with Cassidy, but the turn-around in his play happened when Cassidy put him with Bergeron and Marchand during the final stretch of last season. Maybe JDB felt he didn't have Butch's confidence prior to that, and maybe Monty has been a better style of coach for him, but it's not so black-and-white as "Cassidy out, Jake plays better." It didn't happen like.
I realize I over-simplified the problems Jake was having and likely laid too much blame at Cassidy's feet, but from Bergeron's comments earlier in the season about being valued when asked about the new coach, I got the feeling he was glad Butch was fired, and that opened the door for Bergy and Krejci to return for another season, and Jake was able to start out with a clean slate, a new coach, and new season and ran with it, and hasn't looked back since

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad