GDT: Game 73: Colorado Avalanche @ Chicago Blackhawks | Tuesday, March 20th | 6:30pm MT

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's always cool to see NHLers taking inspiration from their team's logo for their fighting style

...I think I can see Olli thinking "I'm a scary panther, roar"...
It's funny because a friend of mine always used to say Jokinen looked like a cat. I always kinda agreed with him, but seeing this photo now confirms it.

Reactions: cgf

member 116861

I missed the last 2 periods, how did Toninato look? Did he continue to be Soderberg without the offense?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
UncleRisto should teach us more, Finland is very close to Sweden but usually a Swede only understand two perhaps three (dirty) words, cool but tricky language.

Ja, du Svenskor bara förstår våra elaka ordar. Men vi Finskar har goda kunskaper i Svenska! Jag tror att @UncleRisto kan också Svenska väldigt bra eftersom han är så bra med olika språk.

Sorry mods, google translate will tell you I said nothing naughty!

@cgf Estonian and Finnish are pretty close.. we understand some words spoken by each other but the accent and pacing is a lot different IMO. And some Finnish words like häät (wedding) is pulmad in Estonian. Pulmat in Finnish translates into "troubles" in English lol.

But it's pretty easy for a Fin to lean Estonian and the other way around.

Reactions: 21 and VikingAv

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wilson is so feisty in the corners lol he wins so much board battles. I don't know why some people here hate him so much

He's a very good 4th liner, who can fill in on the 3rd line if there are injuries and I don't believe I've ever argued otherwise. I don't have an issue with him if that's the role Bednar gives him.

In addition to his work along the boards, he's also good on the forecheck. Both him and Bourque are valuable in those areas.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I wonder how different Finnish is from Estonian...that's the other country from the same linguistic group, right? I always find these super isolated languages so interesting because I grew up speaking Russian & German, while picking up some spanish at a young age. And Germanic, Slavic or Roman tongues have soooo many cousins in common use. So a lot of european languages seem vaguely familiar to me, even if I don't actually speak/understand them.

Gotta be a different perspective when "your" language is so different from all of the languages around you instead. That has to have really helped Finnish identity survive the centuries of Swedish & Russian rule.
Quite different. Not quite like Swedish and Norwegian. It sounds silly to Finns, because it is similar but the tone is different. Many words especially in text are recognizable, although not the same, and you can decipher some stuff from writing. Still, you generally can't really follow speech. Now, many Estonians in tourism at least used to know Finnish or understand it but I don't know if this has become less common, although I suspect that's the case.

Hungarian is the other bigger language in the group (the Ugrian part of the Finno-Ugrian languages), and it is not intelligible to Finns. There are vague similarities though, similar to how the Germanic languages all have certain words that are different but have similar roots. Numbers are like this between Finnish and Hungarian it seems.

Ja, du Svenskor bara förstår våra elaka ordar. Men vi Finskar har goda kunskaper i Svenska! Jag tror att @UncleRisto kan också Svenska väldigt bra eftersom han är så bra med olika språk.

Nej, tyvärr.

Last edited:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I wonder how different Finnish is from Estonian...that's the other country from the same linguistic group, right? I always find these super isolated languages so interesting because I grew up speaking Russian & German, while picking up some spanish at a young age. And Germanic, Slavic or Roman tongues have soooo many cousins in common use. So a lot of european languages seem vaguely familiar to me, even if I don't actually speak/understand them.

Gotta be a different perspective when "your" language is so different from all of the languages around you instead. That has to have really helped Finnish identity survive the centuries of Swedish & Russian rule.

I believe the closest one to Finnish is actually..... wait for it.... waaaaiit for iiit.......Hungarian! Yeah, I don't get it either. Just some weird languages in those two countries.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I believe the closest one to Finnish is actually..... wait for it.... waaaaiit for iiit.......Hungarian! Yeah, I don't get it either. Just some weird languages in those two countries.
No, it's definitely Estonian. And then like Sami languages.

How did we ever get from Avs-Hawks to this stuff?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
@cgf Estonian and Finnish are pretty close.. we understand some words spoken by each other but the accent and pacing is a lot different IMO. And some Finnish words like häät (wedding) is pulmad in Estonian. Pulmat in Finnish translates into "troubles" in English lol.

But it's pretty easy for a Fin to lean Estonian and the other way around.

That’s cool, knowing German I can read Dutch...they just spell things like a country that really embraced cannabis culture...but I can’t understand it being spoken. That sounds more like russian & Ukrainian.

Is estonia the only one or am I forgetting about any other major populations in your language group? Is Lithuanian you guys? Or are they just entirely their own thing?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Quite different. Not quite like Swedish and Norwegian. It sounds silly to Finns, because it is similar but the tone is different. Many words especially in text are recognizable, although not the same, and you can decipher some stuff from writing. Still, you generally can't really follow speech. Now, many Estonians in tourism at least used to know Finnish or understand it but I don't know if this has become less common, although I suspect that's the case.

Hungarian is the other bigger language in the group (the Ugrian part of the Finno-Ugrian languages), and it is not intelligible to Finns. There are vague similarities though, similar to how the Germanic languages all have certain words that are different but have similar roots. Numbers are like this between Finnish and Hungarian it seems.

Nej, tyvärr.

Ah so then the German-Dutch analogy does work better. As easyern Ukranian and russian are pretty mutually intelligible.

And Hungarian? Wtf? I thought they were steppe nomads?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
threadderailedsu2.gif

Not that I mind...it's a fascinating topic.

Blame Olli Jokinen.

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
I started learning Japanese a while ago and find this linguistics conversation fascinating.

Also, Avs rule, Hawks drool.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Hungary belongs to the same "language family" with finnish. They don't sound the same at all though. But Risto is right estonian is the closest.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Ah so then the German-Dutch analogy does work better. As easyern Ukranian and russian are pretty mutually intelligible.

And Hungarian? Wtf? I thought they were steppe nomads?
Yeah, I suppose it does. Knowing a tiny bit of German and knowing what those languages sound like, I get the analogy.

Well, Finno-Ugric languages are Uralic languages, and Uralic languages are Eurasiatic, so you're not exactly wrong.

Lithuanian and Latvian are in their own little group that's related to Slavic ones.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've always wanted to learn a language but no idea where to start. German, Russian, Icelandic are always the ones I've been drawn to.

Don’t start with russian. It was the first language I ever spoke and it is so stupid :laugh:

German is basically English without all of the stupid shit brought in by the French :sarcasm:

I think Spanish is probably the easiest language to learn, and there’s merit to it being easier to learn a third language than a second. So learning Spanish first might not be a bad idea.

I wanna learn farsi or Arabic next. Those are way out of my language groups but I won’t be as hopeless as I was when I tried Mandarin :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
For native English speakers, anything Germanic is going to be easiest to learn. I used to know some German and Norwegian, but not using it in forever means it is all pretty much gone. I can understand French a lot better, but deal SO much better with Quebecois over metro French. I'm way more used to their more casual spoken language.

Don’t start with russian. It was the first language I ever spoke and it is so stupid :laugh:

German is basically English without all of the stupid **** brought in by the French :sarcasm:

And combining every word in a sentence together.

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
How did you go about starting to learn? I bought a book to try to start learning Japanese and didn't get very far
I mostly started with an app called Human Japanese. It has a good interface and Japanese people speaking words and example sentences and was inexpensive. IOS store that I found it.

The other top method I’ve heard of is the Genki textbooks, and I think that’s how they teach it if you were to take a Japanese class.

Either way, start by learning hiragana and katakana (especially the former) as they are the syllabaries and they form the core of the written language. This is something you can do in few days. Feel free to pm me if you want to know more.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I'd like to learn Japanese. I'm forced to study German now and it's not going so well, but that's just my attitude.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Nej, tyvärr.

I suck at geography, so I had to Google where Estonia is.

Found it quite interesting that there's a little chunk of land between Lithuania and Poland that is part of Russia...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad