GDT: Game # 73 - Blues in Boston @ 6pm CST

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
This team definitely rides waves, but the crests are much bigger than the troughs. And that’s all we can ask for as Blues fans, right?

And what are the analytics missing about this team? Not saying I don’t believe them, because I do favor analytics in sports. Even though they’re outshot regularly, the Blues SEEM to create many more high danger scoring chances than their opponents through crafty passing and their cycle.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
This team definitely rides waves, but the crests are much bigger than the troughs. And that’s all we can ask for as Blues fans, right?

And what are the analytics missing about this team? Not saying I don’t believe them, because I do favor analytics in sports. Even though they’re outshot regularly, the Blues SEEM to create many more high danger scoring chances than their opponents through crafty passing and their cycle.
The Blues get a MUCH higher % of their shots from the slot, and make a good %age of those. So they are effectively getting as many good chances as most of the better scoring teams (which is why they are one of the better scoring teams. They have a lot fewer shots than we would like because they continue passing the puck around until they get a really good chance. When a team does that, they risk losing possession without even getting a shot off. That happens a fair amount to this team. But, lately, they are getting more shots off on odd-man rushes, and that is really helping them win games.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
The Blues get a MUCH higher % of their shots from the slot, and make a good %age of those. So they are effectively getting as many good chances as most of the better scoring teams (which is why they are one of the better scoring teams. They have a lot fewer shots than we would like because they continue passing the puck around until they get a really good chance. When a team does that, they risk losing possession without even getting a shot off. That happens a fair amount to this team. But, lately, they are getting more shots off on odd-man rushes, and that is really helping them win games.
I am in favor of Analytics and today they showed that Boston had a xGF of 60% and the blues 40% but watching the game it did not feel that way. What are they missing about this team? All of the blues goals came off of odd man rushes or shots from the slot and they buried every single one of them. Never did it seem that the blues were so heavily outmatched. For example according to the analytics the bruins dominated us more than when we dominated the Isles in the previous game

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
I'm a believer again after jumping ship a couple of weeks ago.

If we can get past the first round .....

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Pretty sure it was Jack Edwards.
Yes it was Jack Edwards and I dunno, I like their broadcast aside from the blind homerism. I think Jack has a good style with how he calls games. And an added bonus is the tiny score bug with all the pertinent info and nothing else. We all have smartphones, I do not need a constant score crawler flashing away on the bottom of the screen.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
A major disconnect with Advanced stats and the Blues Shot count is the Way that Berube coaches the team. We spent years with Hitch and Yeo who's main game plan offensively was to Cycle and funnel pucks to the net. Now the Blues are following Berube who wants Quality shots over Quantity. So while the Blues are severely underperforming in the Shots per game (17th OV) category they are also over performing in the goals for per game (4th OV).

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What are analytics missing about this team

Nothing. They show we give up a lot shots against and really good opportunities against. But they also show Husso has been fabulous against high danger chances. Analytics show we have a high shooting percentage, but that is because we get good quality chances and lots of slot opportunities which is why we have high shooting percentage.

Edit: Also, most advanced stats are only discussed at 5v5. Our special teams have been ridiculous. So advanced stats will completely miss the impact of special teams on a game. If we lose the 5v5 battle 2 goals to 1, but win the special teams battle 2 goals to none, we will win the game 3-2 (4-2 with the empty netter).

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I am in favor of Analytics and today they showed that Boston had a xGF of 60% and the blues 40% but watching the game it did not feel that way. What are they missing about this team? All of the blues goals came off of odd man rushes or shots from the slot and they buried every single one of them. Never did it seem that the blues were so heavily outmatched. For example according to the analytics the bruins dominated us more than when we dominated the Isles in the previous game
The Blues have super goaltending when Husso is in net. He's stopping an excellently high % of shots from the best goal-scoring areas. The Blues' defence is one of the weakest at keeping the opposing team's shooters from shooting from the best scoring areas. Husso should be getting The Vezina Trophy. Binnington has been playing average to slightly above average for a starting goalie. His save % is low, and GA per game is very high, because The Blues' defence gives up way too many shots from the best scoring positions on the ice. Armstrong needs to do whatever he can to make sure that Husso remains with The Blues, and, he needs to add some bigger, more skilled, tougher younger and smarter defencemen, and some younger, very skilled, 2-way, 200 feet fowards, AND to get Berube to get the Blues' entire group of skaters dedicated to getting back on defence, and playing a relentless forechecking and backchecking game (like Carolina does). I realise that is asking a lot. The Blues are a very rare team - with a weak team defence, but super goaltending, and sporadic, all-in defensive play once in a while in highly-needed win games. When they play the all-in game, they usually win. But it exhausts the older players like O'Reilly, Perron, Schenn, Tarasenko, Saad, Faulk, and Bortuzzo. They can play that way for a while, such as 3-4 games in a row. But, they probably couldn't keep up that pace for a four series run during the playoffs. So, if Husso comes down to Earth, they will be in a bit of trouble. But, I think Husso is what he looks to be, the goalie we thought he could be, when he first came to North America, when he was a lot more highly-touted than Binnington. Binnington was just hot at the right time of opportunity for him. I think Husso is really The Blues' long-term answer at the Blues starting goalie position.

Last edited:

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Nothing. They show we give up a lot shots against and really good opportunities against. But they also show Husso has been fabulous against high danger chances. Analytics show we have a high shooting percentage, but that is because we get good quality chances and lots of slot opportunities which is why we have high shooting percentage.

Edit: Also, most advanced stats are only discussed at 5v5. Our special teams have been ridiculous. So advanced stats will completely miss the impact of special teams on a game. If we lose the 5v5 battle 2 goals to 1, but win the special teams battle 2 goals to none, we will win the game 3-2 (4-2 with the empty netter).
Yeah we do struggle a lot in giving opponents a lot of opportunities but when I watched this game against the bruins it didn't seem as if was a domination. The bruins definitely had the better of us but I didn't think it was a 60-40(5v5) split in favor of them. The stats I checked showed that the bruins dominated us slightly more than when we played against the Islanders at 5v5.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yeah we do struggle a lot in giving opponents a lot of opportunities but when I watched this game against the bruins it didn't seem as if was a domination. The bruins definitely had the better of us but I didn't think it was a 60-40(5v5) split in favor of them. The stats I checked showed that the bruins dominated us slightly more than when we played against the Islanders at 5v5.

They outshot us, especially 5v5. We actually had the better xgf% in all situations when you include the PP, as we were at roughly 55% all situations xgf%. So that may be why it feels like we were the better team. But 5v5 they had 35 shots compared to our 20. XgF measures is the sum of all the shots multiplied by the league wide percentage of a shot from that spot going in. Every shot adds to the xgf. So it is really hard to win the xgf battle when you are almost doubled in shots/fenwick/corsi events.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
They outshot us, especially 5v5. We actually had the better xgf% in all situations when you include the PP, as we were at roughly 55% all situations xgf%. So that may be why it feels like we were the better team. But 5v5 they had 35 shots compared to our 20. XgF measures is the sum of all the shots multiplied by the league wide percentage of a shot from that spot going in. Every shot adds to the xgf. So it is really hard to win the xgf battle when you are almost doubled in shots/fenwick/corsi events.
Ah that makes sense. I did some more digging and we were slightly ahead in High Danger Chances(HDCF) for at 5v5 but trailed badly in our %CF

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Kyrou didn’t just look invisible last night, he looked noticeably bad and disinterested. Hopefully he can get his confidence or health back - whichever is ailing him - before the playoffs. He did have one good back check I saw, not to take anything away from him.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Kyrou didn’t just look invisible last night, he looked noticeably bad and disinterested. Hopefully he can get his confidence or health back - whichever is ailing him - before the playoffs. He did have one good back check I saw, not to take anything away from him.
Hurt his back in the Winnipeg game when that fat plug Logan Stanley hit him 10 seconds after he got rid of the puck. That was right after he was recovering from another injury and he hasn’t had the explosive skating since. Only has 1 goal, 6 points in the ten games since then. Had 15 points in the ten games prior to that Winnipeg game.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
amusing to see boston fans use injuries as a excuse for the blues winning last night.

we were beating teams with 1/2 a AHL lineup thanks to the ridiculous covid protocols and we actually played some of our best hockey of the year thanks to chucky sideburns and nathan walker. we played games against teams like florida and vegas down men due to salary cap issues and covid and got W's.

maybe dont suck and take stupid penalties that wake up superstar players next time.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019

Does the empty netter count in 5v5 stats or is that filtered out?

eibyyz

STL. Like my daddy before me.
To me, their first five albums alone make their discographies one of the best ever, even the black album.

And @ChicagoBlues like I alluded to earlier, peace sells is amazing as well, but Rust is the absolute GOAT

is it a crime that I like 'Tallica's covers as much as their originals? Astronomy, Page, Whiskey...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad