Post-Game Talk: GAME 72 - Sons of Gritty 3 BRUINS 2

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Yes. This.

Ever since the 2019 Final and subsequent rumblings about “game management,” my faith in the integrity of the league has been shaken, to put it mildly.
Watched Oiler and Leafs last night (although I absolutely want to vomit watching the leafs.)
Leafs killing a penalty midway through the first with Kane carrying the puck up ice is very obviously tripped as a leaf reaches for the puck..... no call.

Later the Oilers are killing a penalty, Kane reaches in to knock the puck away and trips the leaf player. Tweeeeeeeeeeet! Two minutes. Two men down. Leafs score.:rolleyes:

Oilers played soft and Leafs played a far more physical play while taking advantage of cross-checking not being called and they clutched and grabbed the rest of the way.

NHL's idea of game management.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Coyle is “only” a +2 because he gets the hardest defensive assignments and is buried in defensive zone starts (between 64-70% D-zone starts the last 2 years). He’s a legit top 6 guy whether people like it or not at this point. They still need a #1C guy but the 2-4 slots are quite good.

Marc Savard was decapitated laying unconscious on the ice against one of our bigger rivals at the time and nothing happened.

You’re slightly overstating the case there. Last year, yeah Monty absolutely buried Coyle on defense – just 33% offensive zone starts at even strength. This year isn’t quite so bad – 42% offensive zone starts. Obviously that’s still a defensively-centric workload, and if you look at it in the fact that he translates that into a 47% SF, 49% xGF, and +2, that’s a positive result. But not a massive one.

I don’t mean to pick on Coyle. He’s doing a good job. Is he a legit top 6 center? Yes I think so, he’s earned that this year. I’d probably have him in the bottom quarter of that group, and if you look at how Monty uses him it tells you that the coach himself sees his offensive skills as limited, but regardless, this is the first season I’d say that he’s legitimately earning his full contract value. Credit to him for that, I think he still has his limitations, but he's done all you could reasonably ask of him this year. I think going forwards, as you suggest if the Bruins can get a proper talented 1C who can really drive offense, then I’m fine with Charlie at 2C and Zacha playing wing where we really belongs. Add in Poitras supported by Freddy and Geekie at 3C and you’re in good shape.

In the short term, playoffs are going to really test the Bruins out up the middle. On paper, Zacha-Coyle are a weaker pair than what you’ll find on most of their potential opponents. Whether they can step up and succeed despite that, we’ll soon find out.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
But did they win the big game on their home ice that year, or did someone go for a bad line change that they couldn't recover from? Also to a goalie that the Bruins organization help develop.
I again refer you to the 2nd paragraph of my original reply.

For a lot of you guys big games aren’t big games unless they lose.

Incredible that they had zero big wins getting to a Stanley cup game 7, only team in nhl history to accomplish that. Just 15 tiny little victories that mean nothing

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Max Domi acting like a dumbass at the end of a game they got dominated in isn’t “getting pushed around”
What about McCabe cross checking two Bruins in the head a few mins into the game?

Regardless I’m not a fan of not responding to stuff like that. Domi goes after 2 of your best 3 players and nothing.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
What about McCabe cross checking two Bruins in the head a few mins into the game?

Regardless I’m not a fan of not responding to stuff like that. Domi goes after 2 of your best 3 players and nothing.
The bruins were hitting back that entire game, it was probably one of the most complete games they’ve played all year. If they play like that in the playoffs they’ll go to the cup. They’d absolutely wash the leafs.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The bruins were hitting back that entire game, it was probably one of the most complete games they’ve played all year. If they play like that in the playoffs they’ll go to the cup. They’d absolutely wash the leafs.
I have no problem really with how they played that game. There were just a few situations I didn't like, especially being up by a handful of goals.

I didn't like Domi going after Marchand and it not being addressed, I feel the Bruins should have made life tougher on Matthews/Marner.

I didn't like that Domi did the same to McAvoy without a response, too. That's 2/3 of your best players getting ragdolled by a rat bastard.

At the end of the game (after Domi/McAvoy incident) - Trent Frederic had an opportunity to make a statement when he was tied up with McCabe for his earlier bullshit and proceeded to do nothing.

Overall, I like how they played that game, but it would have been nice to see them end it with something signifying it's not open season on their players, because if it's open season on their top stars, playoffs might be a struggle.

Again, this could just be a ME thing, but it would have been nice for a little statement at the end of that game, especially being up by 3 goals with a minute left.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I have no problem really with how they played that game. There were just a few situations I didn't like, especially being up by a handful of goals.

I didn't like Domi going after Marchand and it not being addressed, I feel the Bruins should have made life tougher on Matthews/Marner.

I didn't like that Domi did the same to McAvoy without a response, too. That's 2/3 of your best players getting ragdolled by a rat bastard.

At the end of the game (after Domi/McAvoy incident) - Trent Frederic had an opportunity to make a statement when he was tied up with McCabe for his earlier bullshit and proceeded to do nothing.

Overall, I like how they played that game, but it would have been nice to see them end it with something signifying it's not open season on their players, because if it's open season on their top stars, playoffs might be a struggle.

Again, this could just be a ME thing, but it would have been nice for a little statement at the end of that game, especially being up by 3 goals with a minute left.
Not disagreeing with the premise that an answer would be nice - but let's say Freddy starts a fight or someone jumps Domi and breaks their hand on his helmet. Is the response worth it?

Personally I'd rather them get revenge with hits, and when it comes to guys like Domi I wouldn't even waste my time, no one is scared of him and he only ever fights people not expecting it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Not disagreeing with the premise that an answer would be nice - but let's say Freddy starts a fight or someone jumps Domi and breaks their hand on his helmet. Is the response worth it?

Personally I'd rather them get revenge with hits, and when it comes to guys like Domi I wouldn't even waste my time, no one is scared of him and he only ever fights people not expecting it.
I guess the same thing can be said in the other situation too, what if Domi's tackle on Marchand separated his shoulder or something? What if Domi concusses McAvoy? I just don't like your best players getting taken advantage off, that's all.

No one is scared of Domi, i absolutely agree with that. That said, it's kind of brutal that a guy no one is scared of is willingly tossing around your star guys.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I guess the same thing can be said in the other situation too, what if Domi's tackle on Marchand separated his shoulder or something? What if Domi concusses McAvoy? I just don't like your best players getting taken advantage off, that's all.

No one is scared of Domi, i absolutely agree with that. That said, it's kind of brutal that a guy no one is scared of is willingly tossing around your star guys.
I think if one of those guys is injured on the play you don't see a single one of us disagreeing that it deserves an answer...but they weren't, so whoever takes on those guys at the end of a game you already won is taking an unnecessary risk.

That said it is a bit sad that they don't stand up for each other that much, I hope they are saving themselves for the playoffs but I have major doubts. I miss the days of everyone, even Savard jumping in to help each other.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Anyone else having a problem with HF? REALLY slow
Yes, I thought it was my wifi yesterday, but everything else was working ok

..it's still slower than molasses in the Arctic today

This newer format has had all kinds of issues....I liked the last format much better

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think if one of those guys is injured on the play you don't see a single one of us disagreeing that it deserves an answer...but they weren't, so whoever takes on those guys at the end of a game you already won is taking an unnecessary risk.

That said it is a bit sad that they don't stand up for each other that much, I hope they are saving themselves for the playoffs but I have major doubts. I miss the days of everyone, even Savard jumping in to help each other.
Tyler Bertuzzi also took advantage of our "tough defenseman" at the end of his shift and beat the wheels off of him, so there's another on in there too.

Marchand had his knee dangerously taken out against the Flyers and not one person upped their intensity. Not one.

While yes, winning the game is the ultimate goal, to see them kind of just stand around while this shit was happening is maddening too. People may disagree, that's fine, I however will never change my stance on it.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Tyler Bertuzzi also took advantage of our "tough defenseman" at the end of his shift and beat the wheels off of him, so there's another on in there too.

Marchand had his knee dangerously taken out against the Flyers and not one person upped their intensity. Not one.

While yes, winning the game is the ultimate goal, to see them kind of just stand around while this shit was happening is maddening too. People may disagree, that's fine, I however will never change my stance on it.
Makes you wonder where that Bertuzzi was on Boston.

Not sure why they didn't have Brad's back on that knee on knee. Weird how the culture seems to have shifted from always having each other's back to only doing it if it doesn't hurt the team in the process.

I do agree they do need more response, just not sure I agree at the end of that particular game it was needed, but that's fine. Hope Maroon brings some of what they need in that department

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad