Post-Game Talk: GAME 72 - Sons of Gritty 3 BRUINS 2

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
People saying that Pasta is lazy or doesn't care, that's straight up nonsense!
The fact is that team's especially at this time of the season are focusing on taking Pasta out of the game.
He is the only real threat, so others on the team, have to step up their games.
But this team doesn't really have that kind of player, besides Pasta.
To put it on Marchand, is asking too much, he is too busy getting attacked and hung out to dry by the NHL and it's officials.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
This game shows exactly what we have in a team when the tender doesn't stand on his head! This team unless the goalies go into beast mode will beat zero teams in the POs!
Not a good loss for Boston, their schedule is brutal the next 7 games. They are going to have to dig deep and show character and mental fortitude.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
This game shows exactly what we have in a team when the tender doesn't stand on his head! This team unless the goalies go into beast mode will beat zero teams in the POs!
Their overall play this year has been closer to a 500 team then their record would indicate when you factor in all the overtime games. They are not as good as their record, but they are not as bad as many feared they would be. I am just happy they are in the playoffs. It will be interesting to see which team shows up in the post season. I'm really not expecting a lot, but I will watch and hope to be surprised. Getting in is the first hurdle, after that, anything can happen.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Sleepy game but thought they played ok.

Some guys who are paid to score though really need some time with the shooter tutor. JVR, Frederic, Zacha come to mind immediately.

Reactions: lopey

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Flyers were hungrier, their top six outperformed Boston's top six, and Ersson matched/exceeded Ullmark.

The game was a grind/snoozefest until the third, and they let the loser point slip away.

The Bruins' top 6 is an interesting beast. When you look at most teams, the best performers in terms of your basic advanced stats tend to be the top players. On the Rangers, for example, the forwards with the best GF and xGF percentages 5v5 are Kreider, Panarin, Zibanejad, Trocheck and Lafreniere. On the Panthers it's Barkov, Reinhart, Verhaeghe, Bennett and one relative outlier in Rodrigues. But on the Bruins the top guys in this regard are Boqvist and JvR, then proper top 6 guys in Pasta and DeBrusk. Zacha has good GF stats but the underlying numbers are less favorable. Next on the list are middle 6 - Geekie and Freddy. Whereas Coyle and Marchand are firmly in the bottom half for most of the key metrics, although none of the percentage differences are very big. Not bad numbers, just pretty 'meh'.

Which really is all what you would expect. Boston's forward group has one elite player, one legit but streaky top sixer in Jake, and an aging one in Marchand. Zacha to me is a top 6 talent, but not as a center. Which isn't to say he's bad at it, but he's not at the pointy end of that field and still learning his craft. Then you have Coyle who battles hard and has put up a genuinely impressive points tally, but despite that he's 'only' +2, 2nd last amongst all forwards on the team, and there's a reason for that. I've seen people saying he'll get Selke votes but here's a reality check - guys who are +2 and have a 45% CF on a winning team don't get many votes. He's solid, has over-performed, but he still is what he is. Beyond that it's all depth of varying quality.

The positive of that is they've done incredibly well with not a lot. The negative is our top 6 can on occasion get well and truly outplayed and overwhelmed, and this team is rarely going to win against quality opponents on sheer talent and skill alone. The middle ground is they rely on having everyone buy in and getting contributions from across the lineup, which can be effective and nice to see as a fan, plus it tends to foster good team unity and collective spirit, but it also leaves them vulnerable if their effort drops or no-one steps up to make the big plays on a particular night.

The Bruins are the bell curve team of the league - small front-end of elite talent, big chunky middle, then the bottom-end depth fades out fairly quick. How that fares in the playoffs we'll soon find out.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Bruins now have less wins than the Predators. Bruins 10th in wins out of the 16 playoff teams

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I’m not saying this means anything, but when was the last fighting major and when did it end well for a Bruins player? Seems they just avoid this at all costs.

I just can’t remember ever seeing a team this passive.
It’s been a while. Wotherspoon vs bertuzzi where wotherspoon didn’t land a punch on march 7th and McAvoy/domi where domi instantly tackled him to the ice.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I’m not saying this means anything, but when was the last fighting major and when did it end well for a Bruins player? Seems they just avoid this at all costs.

I just can’t remember ever seeing a team this passive.

After that Marchand sequence any prior Bruins team 4+ years ago turns it into a statement game. This version does.. this.

Led by the coach. Not so much as a scowl. The NHL likely over compensated for the Tortorella suspension and threatened the coaches with hefty fines and suspensions for any emotion. That said, coach should not be focused on that in the moment.

Reactions: KWbruin

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Sure but you were talking playoff teams, so I assumed you were looking to compare them for playoffs when they don't have 3v3 or shootouts. You're not really concerned with their regular season are you?
in this situation the most alarming part is leading the league in 6v5 goals allowed. They choked away the playoffs last year late in 3rd periods and seemed to have continued the trend into this year.

As far as the OT losses not sure how to feel about it, I know I’d feel a lot more comfortable if they had won in regulation.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Wouldn’t rly classify JVR or Frederic as guys paid to score, they’re not really paid at all!
lol meant more that when Pastrnak isn’t scoring it would be nice if someone else did.

But ya I get your point.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The Bruins' top 6 is an interesting beast. When you look at most teams, the best performers in terms of your basic advanced stats tend to be the top players. On the Rangers, for example, the forwards with the best GF and xGF percentages 5v5 are Kreider, Panarin, Zibanejad, Trocheck and Lafreniere. On the Panthers it's Barkov, Reinhart, Verhaeghe, Bennett and one relative outlier in Rodrigues. But on the Bruins the top guys in this regard are Boqvist and JvR, then proper top 6 guys in Pasta and DeBrusk. Zacha has good GF stats but the underlying numbers are less favorable. Next on the list are middle 6 - Geekie and Freddy. Whereas Coyle and Marchand are firmly in the bottom half for most of the key metrics, although none of the percentage differences are very big. Not bad numbers, just pretty 'meh'.

Which really is all what you would expect. Boston's forward group has one elite player, one legit but streaky top sixer in Jake, and an aging one in Marchand. Zacha to me is a top 6 talent, but not as a center. Which isn't to say he's bad at it, but he's not at the pointy end of that field and still learning his craft. Then you have Coyle who battles hard and has put up a genuinely impressive points tally, but despite that he's 'only' +2, 2nd last amongst all forwards on the team, and there's a reason for that. I've seen people saying he'll get Selke votes but here's a reality check - guys who are +2 and have a 45% CF on a winning team don't get many votes. He's solid, has over-performed, but he still is what he is. Beyond that it's all depth of varying quality.

The positive of that is they've done incredibly well with not a lot. The negative is our top 6 can on occasion get well and truly outplayed and overwhelmed, and this team is rarely going to win against quality opponents on sheer talent and skill alone. The middle ground is they rely on having everyone buy in and getting contributions from across the lineup, which can be effective and nice to see as a fan, plus it tends to foster good team unity and collective spirit, but it also leaves them vulnerable if their effort drops or no-one steps up to make the big plays on a particular night.

The Bruins are the bell curve team of the league - small front-end of elite talent, big chunky middle, then the bottom-end depth fades out fairly quick. How that fares in the playoffs we'll soon find out.
Coyle is “only” a +2 because he gets the hardest defensive assignments and is buried in defensive zone starts (between 64-70% D-zone starts the last 2 years). He’s a legit top 6 guy whether people like it or not at this point. They still need a #1C guy but the 2-4 slots are quite good.

After that Marchand sequence any prior Bruins team 4+ years ago turns it into a statement game. This version does.. this.

Led by the coach. Not so much as a scowl. The NHL likely over compensated for the Tortorella suspension and threatened the coaches with hefty fines and suspensions for any emotion. That said, coach should not be focused on that in the moment.
Marc Savard was decapitated laying unconscious on the ice against one of our bigger rivals at the time and nothing happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad