GDT: Game 72: Coyotes @ Sharks - 7PM - FSAZ

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I could do without Tikhonov, Plotnikov, and Sekac.

Perfect for a tank roster, not if you actually want to be competitive.

Actually, I think Plotnikov has done the best of the three (for his role). Admittedly, he's not a scorer, but he's about the only player (besides Murphy) who dishes pretty decent hits. I suppose he could be replaced, but being an RFA, he would be more affordable than anyone we could sign (or a veteran). On the 4th line, I like him. I also think he could possibly move up to third if needed (due to an injury of some sort).

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Actually, I think Plotnikov has done the best of the three (for his role). Admittedly, he's not a scorer, but he's about the only player (besides Murphy) who dishes pretty decent hits. I suppose he could be replaced, but being an RFA, he would be more affordable than anyone we could sign (or a veteran). On the 4th line, I like him. I also think he could possibly move up to third if needed (due to an injury of some sort).

He consistently has the lowest TOI on the team when he dresses. It's obvious he's not a Tippett guy. I don't think he'll be back.

I actually like him and that he finishes checks, and it hasn't been coached out of him yet. He seems to have a decent skill level. He plays with Gordon.

Would have liked to see Sekac get a bit more time to show something, but he didn't do much with the time he had and is now a fixture as a scratch, sooo...

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
He consistently has the lowest TOI on the team when he dresses. It's obvious he's not a Tippett guy. I don't think he'll be back.

I actually like him and that he finishes checks, and it hasn't been coached out of him yet. He seems to have a decent skill level. He plays with Gordon.

Would have liked to see Sekac get a bit more time to show something, but he didn't do much with the time he had and is now a fixture as a scratch, sooo...

In terms of Plotnikov, if we don't re-sign vets (Gordon, Chip, Tanguay, Tikhonov, or Downie) or sign new vets, Tipp wouldn't have a choice in the matter. If anything, a Martinook - Richardson - Plotnikov 4th would be fine by me. That would move Vermette up to the 3rd (which is as high as he should play unless he has another resurgence without Tanguay) with Dvorak and Doan (at Center or on LW if Dvorak does well).

I think Sekac is one of those players that has to adjust to a system before doing decently, but he has struggled from what I recall. Of course with Chip now getting ice-time, Sekac is pretty much history. But, I'm getting off-topic here (long ago) unless I say that I'd rather have seen Sekac play the Sharks rather than Chip...

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't know. I'm clearly a Tikhonov fan. Maybe its just me, but game after game I see Tiks do something that prevents a goal or a strong chance for a goal. Like when Smith did his walkabout almost to the blue line, it was Tiks that prevented that goal. I really like him on a shut down line.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
I don't know. I'm clearly a Tikhonov fan. Maybe its just me, but game after game I see Tiks do something that prevents a goal or a strong chance for a goal. Like when Smith did his walkabout almost to the blue line, it was Tiks that prevented that goal. I really like him on a shut down line.

Offensively tho, he's not great. the one game we won 6-3 against the Stars I remember Tikhonov having a good game offensively, but other than that he hasn't contributed very much. That is more fitting if he is playing on the 4th line, but right now we have him mixing in with the top 6 guys. Doesn't belong there. I would assume that Tipp/DM are giving him more playing time to see if he's going to be in the plans for next season. I'd really only want him in a 4th line / healthy scratch capacity.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Offensively tho, he's not great. the one game we won 6-3 against the Stars I remember Tikhonov having a good game offensively, but other than that he hasn't contributed very much. That is more fitting if he is playing on the 4th line, but right now we have him mixing in with the top 6 guys. Doesn't belong there. I would assume that Tipp/DM are giving him more playing time to see if he's going to be in the plans for next season. I'd really only want him in a 4th line / healthy scratch capacity.

Well, it's a Tippett thing.

Have you guys ever heard of evaluating a player? He is getting an opportunity to see if he fits in for next year. But your right, it's a Tippett thing, giving players like him an opportunity.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
Have you guys ever heard of evaluating a player? He is getting an opportunity to see if he fits in for next year. But your right, it's a Tippett thing, giving players like him an opportunity.

damn you're right, we can give players like tikhonov and chipchura a chance in the top 6 but not duclair or domi...

and i don't even think tik in the top 6 is that bad

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We only evaluate bottom six guys for the top six. ;) Having outstanding centers like Richardson and Gordon is why the young guys get any ice time at all.

"It will give Tippett some options in how he plays people. You can afford to have some youth on your wings as long as your center ice is solid."

"You can afford to have some youth on your wings as long as...", according to Don. We can afford to let our young guys play. Like we're predisposed to not playing them or giving them ice time because it is automatically a short-term negative. Anyone else sees the disconnect here between these sort of comments and a guy "rebuilding" the team? Anyone else see the problem with "The NHL is not a development league" coming from the head coach of a "rebuilding" team?

The team is at complete loggerheads with itself on the rebuild.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
damn you're right, we can give players like tikhonov and chipchura a chance in the top 6 but not duclair or domi...

Maybe because they already know where Domi and Duclair will be come next year. And no it won't be the bottom six.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Maybe because they already know where Domi and Duclair will be come next year. And no it won't be the bottom six.

41nvkwg1GCL._SY355_.jpg

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

We only evaluate bottom six guys for the top six. ;) Having outstanding centers like Richardson and Gordon is why the young guys get any ice time at all.

"It will give Tippett some options in how he plays people. You can afford to have some youth on your wings as long as your center ice is solid."

"You can afford to have some youth on your wings as long as...", according to Don. We can afford to let our young guys play. Like we're predisposed to not playing them or giving them ice time because it is automatically a short-term negative. Anyone else sees the disconnect here between these sort of comments and a guy "rebuilding" the team? Anyone else see the problem with "The NHL is not a development league" coming from the head coach of a "rebuilding" team?

The team is at complete loggerheads with itself on the rebuild.

Legend understands, the other two, not so much.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
What good is evaluating a player's usefulness when you're looking at him outside the role in question?
"Let's take a closer look at this 4th-line grinder type... by placing him in the top 2 lines."
I dunno.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What good is evaluating a player's usefulness when you're looking at him outside the role in question?
"Let's take a closer look at this 4th-line grinder type... by placing him in the top 2 lines."
I dunno.

That's your opinion of the player, not necessarily the organization.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I dunno.

Yeah, I don't get it. Herp, let's see if Tikhonov has a place on the 4th. line next year, by playing him in the top-6 with Hanzal!1 Derpp.

It's more of the same ******** from Tippett. Tim Kennedy in the top-6. Korpse with Hanzal and Vrbata. Klinkhammer and Moss with Ribeiro. Same nonsense, different season.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yeah, I don't get it. Herp, let's see if Tikhonov has a place on the 4th. line next year, by playing him in the top-6 with Hanzal!1 Derpp.

It's more of the same ******** from Tippett. Tim Kennedy in the top-6. Korpse with Hanzal and Vrbata. Klinkhammer and Moss with Ribeiro. Same nonsense, different season.

He's a new man. Kennedy, Moss, Klink, Korpi were all before the rebuild. Nothing counts before the rebuild. It practically never happened, and you shouldn't use it to inform your opinion. Those are not the plugs you are looking for.

Duclair hasn't been glued to a seat in the press box. What else could you possibly expect?

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
Jakey could be right. Maybe the Yotes think Tikh's only place on this team going forward is top-6. Supposing that they have names lined up for bottom-6 next season and Tikh is not among them.
The thought of them seeing top-6 utility in his game is uncomfortable for me, though.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He can't score. He is Gordon without being a center that wins faceoffs. Likable guy, but the Coyotes can do better.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
He can't score. He is Gordon without being a center that wins faceoffs. Likable guy, but the Coyotes can do better.

Yeah, Tik works hard but thats about it. I'd much rather just have Gaudet or some UFA signing if we need to have a 13th forward

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Yeah, Tik works hard but thats about it. I'd much rather just have Gaudet or some UFA signing if we need to have a 13th forward

Yep, I had certainly hoped otherwise, but I don't see him here next season.

Yup, I agree. Tik, Sekac, Plotnikov have given it a good shot but I think all have fallen way short.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Verdict is still out on Plotnikov imo, he's getting more comfortable and his game is moving forward..... it does have a ways to go however.

Plots is trying to be a checking forward but I think there are players in our system who can take that role just as well (Szwarz, Lessio). I'm not sure Plots is going to get qualified after the season.

Sekac is the one who has been the biggest disappointment. Not hard to see why he went from a hot prospect to a guy on waivers. Lots of try but it's like the puck and his stick blade have repelling magnets in them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad