GDT: Game 72: Coyotes @ Sharks - 7PM - FSAZ

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Plots is trying to be a checking forward but I think there are players in our system who can take that role just as well (Szwarz, Lessio). I'm not sure Plots is going to get qualified after the season.

Sekac is the one who has been the biggest disappointment. Not hard to see why he went from a hot prospect to a guy on waivers. Lots of try but it's like the puck and his stick blade have repelling magnets in them.

Who is this Lessio fellow you speak of?

Szwarz was never a strong "checker" in my mind. He was solid defensively, but doesn't quite have the physical edge to his game that I'd like to see in the position.

Sekac hasn't had recent opportunities to show his value. He did okay last game when he amped up his physical game, but I can't see him improving his appeal enough to earn a roster position for next season. I would be fine with a two-way contract, but I'm guessing he'd play in Springfield more than he would here. I see him as probably a #14/#15 forward depending on moves made in the offseason

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
Legend understands, the other two, not so much.

So if that's the case, and I know you've been for this in the past - why is Tippett doing this when we want to be competitive?

Why are we giving players who we know will be in the top 6 next year less time than those we're not sure about?

If we want to make the playoffs this year, why are we doing this?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So if that's the case, and I know you've been for this in the past - why is Tippett doing this when we want to be competitive?

Why are we giving players who we know will be in the top 6 next year less time than those we're not sure about?

Picking up 10 points in 9 games is going to take something next to a miracle. Tanking would be useless for similar reasons. So why not have a nine game audition to see who GMDM (and Tippett) want to try resigning for next year??

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Picking up 10 points in 9 games is going to take something next to a miracle. Tanking would be useless for similar reasons. So why not have a nine game audition to see who GMDM (and Tippett) want to try resigning for next year??

Why didn't we do it last year though? I've never been high on gormley and it certainly doesn't appear that he's an NHL player after we traded him, but following your logic (which I agree with) why not give him the same opportunity last year?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Like I mentioned before, Legend understands.:nod:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why didn't we do it last year though? I've never been high on gormley and it certainly doesn't appear that he's an NHL player after we traded him, but following your logic (which I agree with) why not give him the same opportunity last year?

I guess they could have, so who knows the reason, but I and a few others thought Gormley was a bust long before last year. Maybe the same reason they haven't give PS a shot this year. ''If he don't fit you must evict.'':) Sorry, watching too much OJ Simpson.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I guess they could have, so who knows the reason, but I and a few others thought Gormley was a bust long before last year. Maybe the same reason they haven't give PS a shot this year. ''If he don't fit you must evict.'':) Sorry, watching too much OJ Simpson.

Eh we've seen psam before, it's not a huge deal. I just find it odd that if the reason tik is playing in the top 6 is evaluation for next year, and we're more competitive this year than last, that we didn't do the same last year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Eh we've seen psam before, it's not a huge deal. I just find it odd that if the reason tik is playing in the top 6 is evaluation for next year, and we're more competitive this year than last, that we didn't do the same last year.

Did we have anyone to evaluate last year?:)

Speaking of PS, we have seen him 8 gms. the last two years.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
8 whole games? Over two years? We obviously know what we've got then...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I actually agree with you on PSam. He won't be more than a reserve defenseman. I just think it's funny that eight games was trotted out as a number proving we evaluated him.

As to having anyone to evaluate last year, I wouldn't know. We refused to give guys even a cup of coffee bc we were busy playing stalwarts and core players like Andrew Campbell and Dave Moss on special teams to eke out the "pride" points that cost us McEichel.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Did we have anyone to evaluate last year?:)

Speaking of PS, we have seen him 8 gms. the last two years.

Giving gormley one last shot for one, and any of the lessio(we had him at the time)shinimininin, swarsz group. Like gormley I don't think any of them are NHLers, but why not use that time to make sure, and also to reward some of your ahl guys with NHL pay.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I actually agree with you on PSam. He won't be more than a reserve defenseman. I just think it's funny that eight games was trotted out as a number proving we evaluated him.

As to having anyone to evaluate last year, I wouldn't know. We refused to give guys even a cup of coffee bc we were busy playing stalwarts and core players like Andrew Campbell and Dave Moss on special teams to eke out the "pride" points that cost us McEichel.

Well, if you thought/hoped they were worse than Campbell and Moss, imagine what the coaching staff thought... :laugh: (And we "lost" McEichel because of O...E...L... end of story)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad