Post-Game Talk: GAME #72: Canucks 3 @ Stars 2 (S/O) (Schaller x2, Leivo S/O winner)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
To be honest, goldy has bern just as average as all those guys mentioned, granlund, eriksson etc

Only guy who has stood out in the bottom 6 all year is rousell.

Goldy has had a ton of chances this year, Its clear as day the canucks going to move on from him after this year.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
To be honest, goldy has bern just as average as all those guys mentioned, granlund, eriksson etc

Goldy has had a ton of chances this year, Its clear as day the canucks going to move on from him after this year.

Deal.

If they move on from Eriksson, Granlund, Motte, Schaller and Pouliot too.

I know I'm getting spoiled with us dumping Nilsson, Gudbranson, Gagner and Del Zotto, but man....thats a lot of bland.

And Benning won't be in on big name free agents this off season? I thought he changed ....

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

You're missing the point.

The issue is, Green says Goldobin isn't good enough a player based on him having low scoring. While Eriksson, a player 10 years older, 6 times costlier, contributes LESS offensively to the team than Goldobin sits comfortably on the 2nd line while getting 1000 times longer leash. This is just Green's hypocrisy combined with the team's double standards on accountability.

You want to talk about chances? How many chances has Eriksson had since this useless plug was signed?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

The issue is, Green says Goldobin isn't good enough a player based on him having low scoring. While Eriksson, a player 10 years older, 6 times costlier, contributes LESS offensively to the team than Goldobin sits comfortably on the 2nd line while getting 1000 times longer leash. This is just Green's hypocrisy combined with the team's double standards on accountability.

You want to talk about chances? How many chances has Eriksson had since this useless plug was signed?
Agreed

Reactions: Cogburn

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
He’s a decent coach in terms of systems and running a bench but his complete inability to put young and/or talented players in positions to succeed and endless falling-back on veterans and guys he knows will sink him as an NHL coach.

Just isn’t able to go out of his box and try new things or treat different players differently to get the best out of them.

Completely. And why is this team not playing Zack MacEwen over Tim Schaller with 11 games left in a non playoff season?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Once again I reject the narrative that Green hates young players or whatever. He plays Schaller, Granlund, Motte etc. because he values (rightly or wrongly) their defensive play and PKing ability.

If "Golodibin" isn't scoring, he doesn't bring anything else that Green values. It is as simple as that. Young vs. old has nothing to do with it. Goldy and Motte were born 7 months apart FFS.

Have you actually seen the numbers on Motte and Beagle? They get killed in goal differential when they are on the ice. And what exactly does Eriksson do out there and how does an NHL forward have 3 hits in 70 games?

Reactions: Hemty

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

It's not hypocrisy. He does other things that green values, like killing penalties.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Goldobin has had enough chances to succeed and hasn't. It's unfortunate, Green tried to get Goldobin's motor running higher away from the puck hoping that it would get him more opportunities to score and that hasn't happened.

If Spooner and Baertschi are able to play soon, I think we will see more scratches from this gluton of "average players" that have been mucking up the wings.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The fact that Goldoblin is a scratch in garbage time is a pretty bad indictment...Its almost like Green has seen enough...Was a spectator on NJD tying goal the other night..,zero effort.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Goldobin has had enough chances to succeed and hasn't. It's unfortunate, Green tried to get Goldobin's motor running higher away from the puck hoping that it would get him more opportunities to score and that hasn't happened.

If Spooner and Baertschi are able to play soon, I think we will see more scratches from this gluton of "average players" that have been mucking up the wings.

Spooner is not a promising improvement over the others. Baertschi...well he is only an improvement if he is 100% healthy.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Spooner is not a promising improvement over the others. Baertschi...well he is only an improvement if he is 100% healthy.

Spooner has 3 assists in 6 games with the Canucks. While he's not significant improvement, when the rest haven't been good enough I'm quite fine with giving him an opportunity over Eriksson, and Schaller for sure.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I agree with JD Burke that MacEwen has a legitimate chance to become a solid NHL 3rd line winger with size and some grit this team could use. He should be playing to see if he can sink or swim in the NHL over a few of these plugs.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Spooner has 3 assists in 6 games with the Canucks. While he's not significant improvement, when the rest haven't been good enough I'm quite fine with giving him an opportunity over Eriksson, and Schaller for sure.

I'm also worried about his overall game not just his scoring.

Over Eriksson or Schaller though? Yeah I'd be much more comfortable going with anyone else. So in the case Spooner is an improvement.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Everyone pissing and moaning about Goldie’s treatment. He’s dug his own grave. I keep hearing about this chemistry him and Petterson had. Goldie had 2 points in the opening night game. After ? 1 point in 11 games with petterson

Reactions: Canucks LB

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Goldobin was on a 50 point pace then Green decided "coach" him and crushed his confidence.

Publically deriding him at every opportunity is just spineless.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Goldobin was on a 50 point pace then Green decided "coach" him and crushed his confidence.

Publically deriding him at every opportunity is just spineless.
Nikolai goldobin has hit about 50 posts.

Put the puck in the f***ing net. He could have 20 goals, but he doesn’t .. because he keeps missing the net

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Goldobin is just a worse version of Baertschi. But too bad Baertschi cant stay healthy

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Goldy is still 5th in team scoring.

Yeah he still has flaws but he has shown stretches where he is mostly backchecking etc. The issue he will suddenly make a grenade pass or not pay atention defensively. But for the most part he has improved.

Honestly, having a young guy constantly in position to get chances and then be your 5th leading scorer would normally be seen as a good development year.

The vets who are subbed in don't actually do things like PK-ing well. And they sure as hell don't produce points.

It's a double standard.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This one could get ugly fast.....From the Stars perspective, there's no way they're losing to the lowly Canucks with so much on the line.

And based on the eyeball-to-eyeball chances the Canucks gave up to the Binghampton Devils on Friday, I'm not liking the optics of this game. Guy you feel for is Markstrom. Likely another 40 shot afternoon. He's giving the Canucks unreal netminding, but nothing to show for it other than welts and bruises.

Spring has officially sprung, and another 'merciless March' for the Canucks is limping to the end......Can't see anything but 5-1 or 6-2 Stars.

Reactions: EastEnderVan

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
We actually going to see Demko here or are these bozos still trying to make the playoffs?

Another thing Green hasn't been good at is distributing his starts. Back-to-back, and you have Dallas on the edge of the playoff picture and Chicago just out of it. Bishop is on a hot streak. IMO a sensible distribution is Marky vs Dallas and Demko vs Chicago. Actually considering there are a bunch of dangerous players on both teams, either is a difficult start for Demko considering his performance so far.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I don't really care about the Goldobin situation, but this quote is hilarious considering Green continues to play Eriksson, Schaller, Granlund, and Motte .... all at the same time.

Now I'm not saying the other guys are good at it but they do other things like PK and take defensive roles. Eriksson just sucks. Anyway, I think Green's point is Goldobin needs to bring points and if he's not bringing points what else does he bring? Nothing. He is weak defensively, not physical, doesn't PK.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Green doesn't have a point here. Most of these guys aren't good defensively, otherwise Marky wouldn't have to bail us out every night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad