Post-Game Talk: GAME #72: Canucks 3 @ Stars 2 (S/O) (Schaller x2, Leivo S/O winner)

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
pmwBX7i.jpg

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
We actually going to see Demko here or are these bozos still trying to make the playoffs?

Reactions: yvrtojfk

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
If they put Eriksson on that bottom line it might be the worst line I've seen the Canucks ice since the late 90's

Stars take this one with Nuke breaking out of his season long slump and scoring the game winning goal... just for old time's sake.

4-3 Dallas

Pearson
Virtanen
Pettersson

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012

I don't really care about the Goldobin situation, but this quote is hilarious considering Green continues to play Eriksson, Schaller, Granlund, and Motte .... all at the same time.

Lolololol. Yes, you're gonna score more goals with Tim f***ing Schaller.

Reactions: TruGr1t

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I don't really care about the Goldobin situation, but this quote is hilarious considering Green continues to play Eriksson, Schaller, Granlund, and Motte .... all at the same time.

Says Goldobin needs to bring more to the table, puts Eriksson on 2nd line, despite the former scoring more points at almost 1/6 of the cost.

OK Green, whatever makes you sleep at night.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Green is a bad coach. Problem solved. There's nothing he does that is above average in any way.

He’s a decent coach in terms of systems and running a bench but his complete inability to put young and/or talented players in positions to succeed and endless falling-back on veterans and guys he knows will sink him as an NHL coach.

Just isn’t able to go out of his box and try new things or treat different players differently to get the best out of them.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Says Goldobin needs to bring more to the table, puts Eriksson on 2nd line, despite the former scoring more points at almost 1/6 of the cost.

OK Green, whatever makes you sleep at night.

You can make the reasonable argument that other players are better defensively (or on special teams) than Goldobin, but it gets really wacky when you're playing like a million guys who can't score, but "do other stuff well." Like you need a few of those guys kicking around, but you don't need a line-up of all wingers who can't score, but "help us in other ways."

The funny thing is most of the guys mentioned don't even help all that much defensively, etc. They are just bad.

Reactions: mossey3535

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Once again I reject the narrative that Green hates young players or whatever. He plays Schaller, Granlund, Motte etc. because he values (rightly or wrongly) their defensive play and PKing ability.

If "Golodibin" isn't scoring, he doesn't bring anything else that Green values. It is as simple as that. Young vs. old has nothing to do with it. Goldy and Motte were born 7 months apart FFS.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Once again I reject the narrative that Green hates young players or whatever. He plays Schaller, Granlund, Motte etc. because he values (rightly or wrongly) their defensive play and PKing ability.

If "Golodibin" isn't scoring, he doesn't bring anything else that Green values. It is as simple as that. Young vs. old has nothing to do with it. Goldy and Motte were born 7 months apart FFS.

This is obviously the point. Nobody is arguing it either. The irony is just that Green keeps all these crappy players in the line-up under some sort of misguided explanation that they bring "something." If you whipped out that stat on basically anyone in the Canucks line-up right now it wouldn't look particularly good. It's just that this is the coach simultaneously icing Eriksson, Motte, Granlund, and Schaller. These players all suck and are largely, at best, barely average defensively.

You'd likely be better off replacing at least one of them with Goldobin simply for the fact these guys are redundant, and Goldobin's shown the ability to produce materially more offense over an extended sample.

You need more guys to marginally contribute to our mediocre PK?

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Does Schaller have any decent defensive ability though? I don’t see it. He’s not a liability sure.

No. Similar to Motte and Granlund, it's a common hockey trope that if a guy doesn't produce, he must be good defensively. That seems to be a league wide thing though, not specific to Green.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
This is obviously the point. Nobody is arguing it either. The irony is just that Green keeps all these crappy players in the line-up under some sort of misguided explanation that they bring "something." If you whipped out that stat on basically anyone in the Canucks line-up right now it wouldn't look particularly good. It's just that this is the coach simultaneously icing Eriksson, Motte, Granlund, and Schaller. These players all suck and are largely, at best, barely average defensively.

You'd likely be better off replacing at least one of them with Goldobin simply for the fact these guys are redundant, and Goldobin's shown the ability to produce materially more offense over an extended sample.

You need more guys to marginally contribute to our mediocre PK?

I mean, sure, but the "mediocre PK" has been a hell of a lot better than the woeful PP, to which "Golodibin" has contributed significantly.

Reactions: Hit the post

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
All of those players being discussed suck, including Goldobin. I hate to devolve the thread into a shot at Benning, but it is what it is. None of those players are good enough.

Yep.

Oh but no, a guy with 4 points in 23 games with a -11 rating should clearly be off-limits from being scratched.

These players all stink and Green has just been rotating them in and out of the lineup. They have all served time in the press box. It's just not a big deal.

Reactions: Hit the post

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I think the hope is that Goldobin would have greater heights to aspire to, rather than the bland hopelessness Granlund, Eriksson and Schaller inspire. Doesn't look like he really does at this point, though.

Reactions: Canucks LB

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
To be fair, I think Green is just putting pressure on a guy who still might be able to improve his game. The same cannot be said for Schaller, Granlund and Eriksson. They pretty much are who they are at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad