Post-Game Talk: GAME 72 - 2022-2023 ATLANTIC DIVISION CHAMPS - DON'T POKE THE BEAR

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Had a training class today, so I missed the entire game. Saw some highlights, so my takeaways are minimal.

I think Maroon got the better of Hathaway in the fight, but the PP made him pay. And I think it was delicious that Hathaway got the game-winner, too.

I’d say that Hathaway and the Bruins got the last laugh today.

Beware of bears in their lair.
View attachment 676084
View attachment 676085
poke-the-bear-meme.jpg

Reactions: rfournier103

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Here we go again.

In a good way.

As with Z before him, Patrice is a Zen master.

LIsten to what he says.

It's all about the present, which is, effectively, the best (and only) place to begin, and to live.

No past, save for corrections. No future, save for proper planning.

Be. Here. Now.

Bergeron, like most elite athletes and leaders of whatever kind, understands the essence of a relatively peaceful and productive life.

Begin where you are. Follow through, as they say in golf.

I am not disciplined enough at all times to "Stay in the present," though I have my moments.

Even so, we can all follow Bergeron's example.

Yet as fab as Patrice is, as great as, say, Nicholas Lidstrom ("the perfect human") was -- and my eldest brother Greg used to bitch incessantly that Lidstrom was robbed of an *eighth Norris* because he wasn't a good Canadian boy -- no one is great 24/7,

I suspect we can all cop to that.

In the event, enjoy, and stay in the day,

:thumbu::bruins

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
As a guy who probably lives further north than Santa Clause, I just want to say how much I appreciate this gang of degenerates.

I said this would be a special season, whether they win or not, we’re witnessing some of the greatest Bruins ever playing together for one last dance.

I get called out from time to time from my friends posting on here. They’re always like “yo, who are you talking to?” And my reply every time is “oh, just my buddy” - which is what I consider every one of you. Whether we agree or not, we share a passion, and it’s the Bruins.

I absolutely cannot wait to come visit Boston and say hello.

I may be in my feels because I spent 3 hours talking to my family back east, which is fine, I feel I should share this with my other family.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I have a lot of thoughts about the game but will try and condense them into two or three paragraphs. (I am watching full games again; so, I have a lot going through my mind.)

They are experimenting on the pp, and unfortunately it isn't working. I still endorse the experimentation though. Someone other than Pasta has to develop into a major scoring option. They want it to be Debrusk instead of Marchand for some reason. I do not think this will work. Instead, try a two d man set up with Gryz Mac and Lindholm Orlov slide Gryz and Orlov to the dot on their one-timer side. They did this with Orlov initially, and it was beautiful.

As for the game, they came out and got punched in the mouth, both literally and in terms of execution. The Bruins were kind of dead-legged in the first, except for Marchand. However, Ullmark and a cautious defense corps saved them. They got their legs and Tampa let down a bit in the second. Tampa re-assumed control as Boston went into a shell in the third. Ullmark kept them from tying it or winning it. Only thing I will say is this continues the trend of slow starts in the afternoon. They have to compensate, because you know they will get a weekend afternoon game in the first round.

Other notes, Nosek was very good. Krejci may be hurt because Nosek took his last two shifts. One shift I could see wanting the lefty out there, not two or three.

Lauko hustled but did not produce much. It was not one of his better games. I am moderately high on the kid and think there is some real skill there as well as the grit. Someone just has to unlock it...Maybe I am a too high on him. Dom thinks Greer is better and he may be right.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
As a guy who probably lives further north than Santa Clause, I just want to say how much I appreciate this gang of degenerates.

I said this would be a special season, whether they win or not, we’re witnessing some of the greatest Bruins ever playing together for one last dance.

I get called out from time to time from my friends posting on here. They’re always like “yo, who are you talking to?” And my reply every time is “oh, just my buddy” - which is what I consider every one of you. Whether we agree or not, we share a passion, and it’s the Bruins.

I may be in my feels because I spent 3 hours talking to my family back east, which is fine, I feel I should share this with my other family.
I will be disappointed if when you come to a game you don't say hello.

No vacuum cleaners allowed in the Garden though.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
After the game yesterday they announced the three stars and Linus was one. He skated out and tossed the signed stick over the glass for a kid. Some big guy grabbed it and started walking away. Linus got his attention and pointed (with a very stern face) to the little kid. The guy looked like a dope and gave it to the kid.

I loved it!

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Another game where I'm left wondering why Jeannot is so hyped up by people. Since being dealt for an insane package:

15gp / 0g / 3a / -6 / 22pim

Guess that nearly 20% shooting percentage wasn't as sustainable as people thought.

Its because he punches people. Below replacement level player.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Hathaway with the quick hands in front of the net again! He hasn’t been the asshole i anticipated but he’s been aggressive and in the mix any time the game has gotten a little punchy

Fourth line was angry tonight. 7 minutes or so but it felt like 14

I like the fact that Hathaway seems to be playing in control. My biggest worry about him was that he might take some dumb and unnecessary penalties, but I’ll take this version of him any day.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I like Bertuzzi but wasnt he supposed to have some "marchand'' in his game, chippyness etc, I havent seen anything like that out of him, i'm very impressed with how well he passes the puck though, had no idea he was that good of a passer. I would also like to see Fredric more assertive in a game like this, apart from a few fights and facewashes this season ,he is almost invisible physically he cant really hit , doesnt have great skating ability or balance etc ..but neither do Maroon or Perry but they are out there being pest etc, c'mon Freddy, crash the net , smack Perry, slash Maroon or something. Hyper critical I know but i do worry about this team and playoff style hockey.

I wouldn't worry about that. Six of their top nine Forwards, including their top 3C and 4 of their top 6 D men came within a game of winning the Cup. I would be more worried about how Ullmark and Swayman hold up then anything else. They haven't won a Playoff series in net.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

You’re a board ring of honor member. An OG

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Love this post dude! I've been on these forums since I was 15 years old....15 years later it feels like I've grown up with a lot of the people here, wouldn't want to spend my free time in any other way than cheering on the Bruins and butting heads with everyone on here :cheers:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

As three different fights erupted only seconds after the puck was dropped, the Bruins-Lightning game provided a hockey wake-up call Saturday afternoon, a rollicking start that quickly pushed the TD Garden temperature past boiling. For two teams with history, two teams with animosity, and most of all, two teams with simmering Stanley Cup dreams, the on-ice mayhem came as no surprise, a tasty appetizer of the intensity of playoff hockey yet to come.

It was Bruins forward Garnet Hathaway who took the worst of it, as the team’s newest fourth-liner was on the receiving end of a flurry of Pat Maroon blows. The 6-foot-3-inch, nearly 240-pound Maroon landed punches as the two tussled into the boards, but none proved a knockout blow against a similarly formidable Hathaway, who stands 6-3 himself.

Hathaway stood up to the test, and it was a theme one of the newest Bruins carried throughout the afternoon. With a late-second-period goal that proved to be the game-winner in the 2-1 victory, Hathaway earned the last laugh. More importantly, as the Bruins inch ever closer to the postseason of this transcendent regular-season campaign, Hathaway is earning his place on the ice.

“It’s been a whirlwind,” he told reporters. “I’m really happy to be here, really glad to be here. I felt like part of the team from the very beginning. I feel like I’ve been part of the team to get the team to where they are already, being a part of it, and then instantly taking a role and trying to help this team continue to where we want to go. That’s just how this group is, so inclusive.”

His goal was the best answer he could have given to the early Lightning antics, when it was obvious coach Jon Cooper’s squad was ready to push any buttons possible, attempting to use their notorious physicality to upend the streaking Bruins while also rousing themselves out of their recent slumber. But as Hathaway made sure, it’s the Bruins who continued winning (make it six in a row) and the Lightning who kept on losing (four straight).

“I mean, I think it’s why we were so excited when we acquired him,” Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said. “He’s a guy who builds your team game in all three zones and then he understands momentum, he understands when the other team is trying to impose their will and he does a great job imposing our will.”

Saturday’s game was certainly a test of wills, and for the Bruins, this weekend’s back-to-back challenge of Tampa followed by a flight to another nemesis in Carolina is actually a welcome pre-playoff, late-season litmus test. With the Atlantic Division clinched by Saturday’s win, Montgomery couldn’t help but laugh as he opened his postgame remarks by saying, “That’ll get you excited for the playoffs, huh?”

The tone was set early — “We had an inkling that Tampa Bay was going to want to play an energetic, emotional game, though I didn’t know it was going to happen that quick,” the coach added — and it was the Bruins who ultimately rendered a verdict on who would maintain it for the duration. With a heaping dose of help from Hathaway, they got it done.

“I think even as a team we’ve been looking forward to this, to a team that’s going to be in the playoffs, one that we potentially could see, a team that’s battling right now and you’re going to play that same way,” Hathaway said. “It’s encouraging for us as a [fourth] line and for us as a team to play that way, play to our identity. That’s how we’re going to have to play in a couple weeks.”

Once upon a time, when Hathaway was on the other side of the ice, he was known to do anything he could to get under the Bruins’ skin. But however much he might have annoyed them then is as much as they love him now. As Marchand laughingly admitted in a recent episode of the team’s “Behind the B” series, there is really only one downside to the addition of Hathaway and fellow former nemesis Tyler Bertuzzi, another trade deadline acquisition.

“I don’t have anyone I dislike now! I love everyone in the league. All the guys I hate are now on our team.”

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

As three different fights erupted only seconds after the puck was dropped, the Bruins-Lightning game provided a hockey wake-up call Saturday afternoon, a rollicking start that quickly pushed the TD Garden temperature past boiling. For two teams with history, two teams with animosity, and most of all, two teams with simmering Stanley Cup dreams, the on-ice mayhem came as no surprise, a tasty appetizer of the intensity of playoff hockey yet to come.

It was Bruins forward Garnet Hathaway who took the worst of it, as the team’s newest fourth-liner was on the receiving end of a flurry of Pat Maroon blows. The 6-foot-3-inch, nearly 240-pound Maroon landed punches as the two tussled into the boards, but none proved a knockout blow against a similarly formidable Hathaway, who stands 6-3 himself.

Hathaway stood up to the test, and it was a theme one of the newest Bruins carried throughout the afternoon. With a late-second-period goal that proved to be the game-winner in the 2-1 victory, Hathaway earned the last laugh. More importantly, as the Bruins inch ever closer to the postseason of this transcendent regular-season campaign, Hathaway is earning his place on the ice.

“It’s been a whirlwind,” he told reporters. “I’m really happy to be here, really glad to be here. I felt like part of the team from the very beginning. I feel like I’ve been part of the team to get the team to where they are already, being a part of it, and then instantly taking a role and trying to help this team continue to where we want to go. That’s just how this group is, so inclusive.”

His goal was the best answer he could have given to the early Lightning antics, when it was obvious coach Jon Cooper’s squad was ready to push any buttons possible, attempting to use their notorious physicality to upend the streaking Bruins while also rousing themselves out of their recent slumber. But as Hathaway made sure, it’s the Bruins who continued winning (make it six in a row) and the Lightning who kept on losing (four straight).

“I mean, I think it’s why we were so excited when we acquired him,” Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said. “He’s a guy who builds your team game in all three zones and then he understands momentum, he understands when the other team is trying to impose their will and he does a great job imposing our will.”

Saturday’s game was certainly a test of wills, and for the Bruins, this weekend’s back-to-back challenge of Tampa followed by a flight to another nemesis in Carolina is actually a welcome pre-playoff, late-season litmus test. With the Atlantic Division clinched by Saturday’s win, Montgomery couldn’t help but laugh as he opened his postgame remarks by saying, “That’ll get you excited for the playoffs, huh?”

The tone was set early — “We had an inkling that Tampa Bay was going to want to play an energetic, emotional game, though I didn’t know it was going to happen that quick,” the coach added — and it was the Bruins who ultimately rendered a verdict on who would maintain it for the duration. With a heaping dose of help from Hathaway, they got it done.

“I think even as a team we’ve been looking forward to this, to a team that’s going to be in the playoffs, one that we potentially could see, a team that’s battling right now and you’re going to play that same way,” Hathaway said. “It’s encouraging for us as a [fourth] line and for us as a team to play that way, play to our identity. That’s how we’re going to have to play in a couple weeks.”

Once upon a time, when Hathaway was on the other side of the ice, he was known to do anything he could to get under the Bruins’ skin. But however much he might have annoyed them then is as much as they love him now. As Marchand laughingly admitted in a recent episode of the team’s “Behind the B” series, there is really only one downside to the addition of Hathaway and fellow former nemesis Tyler Bertuzzi, another trade deadline acquisition.

“I don’t have anyone I dislike now! I love everyone in the league. All the guys I hate are now on our team.”
Love the team toughness the past few games. It’s not always about fighting or hitting, sometimes it’s about taking one for the team. The league for some reason seems to think if you challenge the Bruins physically it will somehow mess with their game but it hasn’t happened

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
Love the team toughness the past few games. It’s not always about fighting or hitting, sometimes it’s about taking one for the team. The league for some reason seems to think if you challenge the Bruins physically it will somehow mess with their game but it hasn’t happened
Well said. Taking one for the team reminds me of greg campbell, who very rarely won a fight but was always willing. That must have further endeared him to the team. Hathaway gained some points for going with a bigger guy yesterday and handled himself pretty well. And speaking of that bigger guy, I know everyone here hates him but he dropped the gloves with chara multiple times, which must have given his teammates a boost.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Well said. Taking one for the team reminds me of greg campbell, who very rarely won a fight but was always willing. That must have further endeared him to the team. Hathaway gained some points for going with a bigger guy yesterday and handled himself pretty well. And speaking of that bigger guy, I know everyone here hates him but he dropped the gloves with chara multiple times, which must have given his teammates a boost.
Maroon has fought Reaves too, Lucic etc.. but if you go back and watch his fights you see a trend.. he doesn’t like to stand toe to toe and trade punches. His strategy is to grab the jersey, turn his head away from his opponent & throw left handed jersey jabs. And the Chara fight you referenced wasn’t exactly a fight. Chara landed a couple of heavy punches and Maroon turned away/ tapped out causing Chara give him mercy. I do give him credit for actually dropping gloves with some heavyweights to begin with. He’s not a complete weasel like a Steve Ott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad