GDT: GAME #71 - BRUINS at Edmonton 3/16 9 PM | NESN, WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Because no one else can take that matchup. McDavid is very good defensively and probably our best defensive forward. Nuge, while he's good defensively, would get destroyed.

I don't know, last game in Boston he faired well and held his own. It's a good challenge, Bergeron and Marchand are unreal and good veteran players. I think the challenge would be perfect when we're gearing up for playoff mode.

You misspelled "great", and left out "world class". :laugh:

Why shy away from it? If he's truly the best, he shouldn't be hidden or sheltered.

Ask Bylsma why he kept putting Sid out against Bergeron in the 2013 ECF to the tune of 0-0-0 for Crosby over 4 games. There is no need to let your best player get sucked into the black hole that is Bergeron/Marchand if you don't have to.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You misspelled "great", and left out "world class". :laugh:

Ask Bylsma why he kept putting Sid out against Bergeron in the 2013 ECF to the tune of 0-0-0 for Crosby over 4 games. There is no need to let your best player get sucked into the black hole that is Bergeron/Marchand if you don't have to.

Fair enough on the world class point :laugh:

I love Bergeron, best defensive forward in the game. He'll annihilate McDavid/Drai in the face-off dot.

Regarding Sid, McDavid put up points and was owning Crosby in Pitt, then Sullivan sheltered Crosby from McDavid in the first match up after the 1st period :laugh:.

I guess our issue is, McDavid is also our best matchup centre. He's better defensively than Crosby (especially early in his career) and Kane are right now. He's not just a skilled player, he's a two-way force.

McDavid and his line did pretty damn well last time against Bergeron-Marchand. Plus with Marchand tied in points, hard to see that matchup being shied away from. No other line on our team can compete with the Bergeron-Marchand. It's kind of out of necessity that I think they'll match best line against best line. Should be a fun game, I'm pumped for this one.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
McDavid and his line did pretty damn well last time against Bergeron-Marchand. Plus with Marchand tied in points, hard to see that matchup being shied away from. No other line on our team can compete with the Bergeron-Marchand. It's kind of out of necessity that I think they'll match best line against best line. Should be a fun game, I'm pumped for this one.

Well isn't that always the way? You can shelter him against Krejci (as if Krejci is a slouch) and let Bergeron/Marchand feast on lesser opponents, or put him against Bergeron and let Krejci/Pasta go wild. Even worse, Cassidy will see what's coming, and switch it up to send out Bergeron/Marchand/Pasta as a line. Ask the Flames how that felt last night after Backes went down.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Well isn't that always the way? You can shelter him against Krejci (as if Krejci is a slouch) and let Bergeron/Marchand feast on lesser opponents, or put him against Bergeron and let Krejci/Pasta go wild. Even worse, Cassidy will see what's coming, and switch it up to send out Bergeron/Marchand/Pasta as a line. Ask the Flames how that felt last night after Backes went down.

The Flames don't have nearly the centre depth we do. Plus their D are pylons, major reason why we owned them winning all 4 games against them.

With the last change, I think it'll be McDavid's line against Bergeron's at every chance. It'll be fun to see, I can't wait to see Marchand and McDavid go head to head again.

Anyways, this is your guys GDT, I want to be respectful and show courtesy. I was asking about your D earlier because I genuinely haven't been able to analyze some of your new up and coming D men. Carlo has impressed me in my viewings.

Good luck tonight, should be a fun one :yo:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
The Flames don't have nearly the centre depth we do. Plus their D are pylons, major reason why we owned them winning all 4 games against them.

With the last change, I think it'll be McDavid's line against Bergeron's at every chance. It'll be fun to see, I can't wait to see Marchand and McDavid go head to head again.

Anyways, this is your guys GDT, I want to be respectful and show courtesy. I was asking about your D earlier because I genuinely haven't been able to analyze some of your new up and coming D men. Carlo has impressed me in my viewings.

I love respectful fans from other teams. It should be a fun game and the match-ups will be interesting.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Sad the road trip has to come to an end, loving the 6 or 7 pm starts in my part of the world.

If the Bruins win I believe this would be their longest win streak of the season at 5 as they have had 4 win streaks 3 times now.

Marchand and Pasta stay hot, while my man Stafford gets another point to keep his almost point a game standards up.

The Boston Bruins goal scoring machine is up and running hopefully they put up 4+ again.

I like the 6, the 7's I have a hard time staying awake through the end or when I do I'm a less than stellar woman the next day. That 4am alarm comes quick when you don't go to sleep before 10. I really like the regular times as I get off work at 4, am home by 4:15pm, watch the first period, get dinner started during 1st intermission, eat dinner during 2nd period, dishes during 2nd intermission, then get to watch the 3rd and am done with my chores for the night before the game is over. :yo:

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Time to drill some oil tonight. Back to back against two good teams is tough. Points may be scarce in this one. Jimmy can say hello to his Oilers equivalent in Pouliot. (Hope he doesn't make me eat crow for that dig. :naughty:)

Let's Go Bruins!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I love respectful fans from other teams. It should be a fun game and the match-ups will be interesting.

I want to see a Bergeron v McDavid match up. He needs to play against the best and not be sheltered, he's the type of player that you always want head to head against the best. There is no one better than Bergeron defensively at centre.

Anyways, thank you. I understand the GDT and HFBruins is a sanctuary for you guys, like it is for Oiler fans at HFOil. Believe me, we've dealt with arrogance and posters coming into our sub forum to **** on the Oilers in years past. Thankfully this year is different.

I do understand the "our forum" element and definitely do not want to be disrespectful or uncourteous in conversation. I'll leave you guys to your own, this is your forum. Thanks again for the kind responses and hockey chat.

Cheers :yo:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I want to see a Bergeron v McDavid match up. He needs to play against the best and not be sheltered, he's the type of player that you always want head to head against the best. There is no one better than Bergeron defensively at centre.

Anyways, thank you. I understand the GDT and HFBruins is a sanctuary for you guys, like it is for Oiler fans at HFOil. Believe me, we've dealt with arrogance and posters coming into our sub forum to **** on the Oilers in years past. Thankfully this year is different.

I do understand the "our forum" element and definitely do not want to be disrespectful or uncourteous in conversation. I'll leave you guys to your own, this is your forum. Thanks again for the kind responses and hockey chat.

Cheers :yo:

We're used to Habs fans coming in and stinking up the place, or at the very least, playing the passive aggressive "I come in peace" and then proceeding to troll act. You are a breath of fresh air compared to that and welcome back anytime.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I know the geography. It's too bad, I think Western Canadians and people from New England have many similarities in attitudes, culture, and work ethic.

I've been to Edmonton and the first day I wondered why downtown was so deserted.

Then I went to the Mall :amazed:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Edmonton are slumping. Ripe for the picking, lets smoke them in their own barn. Come on Bs, ill be happy to leave with a point and have 5 out of 6 but damn 6 out of 6 would feel nice and give us a healthy cushion!!!!

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I was surprised at the number of Habs jerseys in the stands in Edmonton when they played recently. Guess those are transplanted Montreal fans, as I don't imagine that many Habs fans travel that far for a game.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Been looking forward to this one. Have really enjoyed watching a ton of Edm games this season. Fun fun team when they are clicking. Hopefully Maroon doesn't go the hell off this time and the Bs can contain McDavid. Wins over Calgary then Edmonton back-to-back would be pretty awesome.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

If Chiarelli had kept 16 & 37 instead of trading them for Griffin Reinhart he could've drafted Carlo at 33

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was surprised at the number of Habs jerseys in the stands in Edmonton when they played recently. Guess those are transplanted Montreal fans, as I don't imagine that many Habs fans travel that far for a game.

Many Quebec anglophones moved to Alberta when the government tried to elimante the English language 30 years ago.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thursday’s expected lineup:

FORWARD LINES

Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron-David Pastrnak

Frank Vatrano-David Krejci-David Backes

Matt Beleskey-Ryan Spooner-Drew Stafford

Jimmy Hayes-Dominic Moore-Riley Nash

DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS

Zdeno Chara-Brandon Carlo

Torey Krug-Adam McQuaid

Colin Miller-Kevan Miller

GOAL

Tuukka Rask

Anton Khudobin

■ When, where: Thursday, 9 p.m., at Rogers Place, Edmonton, Alberta.

■ TV, radio: NESN, WBZ-FM (98.5).

■ Goals: Connor McDavid 24, Leon Draisaitl 23, Patrick Maroon 22.

■ Assists: McDavid 52, Draisaitl 35, Jordan Eberle 26.

■ Goaltending: Cam Talbot (34-20-8, 2.36 GAA), Laurent Brossoit (1-1-0, 2.89 GAA).

■ Head to head: This is the second and final meeting. Edmonton won the first, 4-3, at TD Garden Jan. 5.

■ Miscellany: The Oilers broke a three-game skid Monday with a 7-1 win over Dallas . . . The 20-year-old McDavid is tied for the league lead in scoring with 76 points . . . Edmonton is ranked last in the league in faceoff win percentage at 47.2.

Sep 26, 2016

Oilers season ticket holders make a killer profit selling their seats to Leafs and Habs fans when those teams come to Edmonton. I hate it.

Anyways I'm still feeling the love after the Bruins thankfully ended Calgary's streak. Now I can sleep easier. :laugh: Also it's great seeing Brad Marchand having such an amazing season. He's been one of my favourite players since I watched him in the 2011 playoffs.

Good luck to Boston for the rest of the season. I've heard it's an amazing city, I love how everything is clustered together, makes it seem very unique and distinct from most North American cities.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
MOD ALERT

No more talk about Quebec - Thanks

Plus de discussions sur le Québec - Merci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events