LSM9Hfe.jpg

HmRerBh.jpg

Tx3P6ta.jpg

AeInmMD.jpg

Rogers_Place_1280.jpg

Tonight's Officials

130p_watson.jpg
NHLHS_31.jpg

Referees Brad Watson (23), Trevor Hanson (31)
Linesmen Trent Knorr (63), Bryan Pancich (94)

Ntl. Anthem Michael Sicoly

WAYBACK MACHINE

BOSTON vs EDMONTON, LIFETIME SERIES

The Bruins and Oilers are meeting for the 73rd time in their histories with the Bruins having a 45-18-6-3 record and 266-205 scoring advantage in those games.

The Bruins are 19-11-3-2 in their 35 road games of this lifetime series with a 115-113 scoring edge in those contests.

The Bruins had their 16-game point streak vs. the Oilers snapped at 13-0-3 with a 4-3 loss in Boston on 1/5 in the 1st game of this season’s series … It was their 1st regulation loss to Edmonton since a 6-1 setback in Edmonton on 10/17/00 … They are 5-0-2 on their last 7 visits to Edmonton

TONIGHT’S GAME

The Bruins visit the Oilers tonight in the 2nd & final game between these teams and the Bruins’ lone visit this season to Rogers Place… The Bruins are 38-26-6 thus far this season with a 19-12-6 mark on the road … They are 9-4-0 vs. Pacific Division opponents and are 14-10-0 vs. Western Conference teams this season.

The Bruins are playing game 3 tonight of their longest remaining road trip of the season, a 4-game trek from 3/13-20 (VAN-CGY-EDMTOR,
2-0-0 so far).

They are playing game 3 tonight of their 13th of 16 sets of 3-games-in-4-nights this season … They are 7-5-1 in game 1s, 6-4-3 in game 2s and 5-5-2 in game 3s of those series so far.

They are concluding their 12th of 14 sets of back-to-back games this season … They are 7-3-2 in the 1st of those games and are 3-6-
2 in the 2nd game thus far.

MILESTONES APPROACHING

Dominic Moore is 2 goals short of his 100th NHL goal.

INJURIES (141 total man-games lost)
Tim Schaller – Lower body injury suffered 3/8 vs DET; Has missed 2 games, is not on current trip

https://link.nhl.com/static/gamenotes/public/20162017/[email protected]?1489670925000

:bruins :edmonton

The Edmonton Oilers and Boston Bruins are each battling for playoff positions in their respective conferences.

And their star players are making cases for end-of-season hardware.

Oilers center Connor McDavid and Bruins left winger Brad Marchand are in the conversation for the Hart Trophy, which goes to the league's MVP, and the Art Ross Trophy, which goes to the player who has the most points.

Marchand's Bruins visit McDavid's Oilers on Thursday.

Marchand and McDavid are in a three-way tie with Chicago's Patrick Kane atop the league in points. Each player has 76. Technically, Marchand is considered the leader because he has the most goals (36) among the three.

Marchand had a goal and an assist in Wednesday's 5-2 victory over Calgary, which saw the Bruins bring the Flames' 10-game winning streak to a halt.

The Bruins come into Edmonton on a four-game winning streak and entered the conversation for the Atlantic Division title. Edmonton is coming off a 7-1 victory over Dallas on Tuesday.

"We are playing with a higher tempo, guys are joining the rush," Marchand said. "And we seem to be scoring goals, which obviously helps."

The Bruins' David Pastrnak, who hit the 30-goal mark after scoring twice Wednesday, said the Bruins need to carry the momentum from Calgary three hours north on the Queen Elizabeth II Highway to Edmonton.

"I think definitely the third period, we came big," Pastrnak said. "Tomorrow, it's a new day and we need to play good again."

Pastrnak said that getting to 30 goals isn't as important as the push for the postseason.

"It's nice, but we have a job to do."

"We've got another tough game on the schedule," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "After tomorrow's game, there'll be another tough one. We don't get too far ahead of ourselves. We've tried not to. We'll address Edmonton in the morning."

Before the seven-goal outburst against Dallas, the Oilers managed four goals in three games. The Stars are the league's worst defensive team, and came at the just the right time for an Oilers team that was struggling with their confidence.

Coach Todd McLellan said that he hopes the outburst against Dallas will allow his forwards to feel more at ease when the Bruins are in town.

"It takes a little pressure and stress off the group," McLellan said. "They can relax a little and play. Sometimes, when you do that, you give up a lot. There were moments in (the Dallas game) where we gave up a little too much, but we didn't let it get away from us, which is a good sign."

But McLellan said his players won't assume its recent troubles are over because they scored seven on Dallas. He said his team will take the game and "park it" mentally.

"Our next opponent is another opportunity for us, and it'll be a tough night."

Even though the Oilers top line of Leon Draisaitl, Patrick Maroon and McDavid collected five points Tuesday, they weren't at their best. And they see the Boston game as a chance to get back in a groove.

"I don't think our line was very good tonight," Draisaitl said after the Dallas game. "But, this time of year, it doesn't matter who scores. I think our line is skilled enough to pick it up next game and get back to playing the way we can."

Last edited:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I'm so glad this is the last late game! A win would be amazing and a solid night by Tuukka would help a lot with the team playing back to back. Lots of exciting things to watch for tonight.

Watch out for the Looch train boys! No injuries please!

Thanks Fenway!

GO BRUINS!!! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Should be a fun game. McDavid and Marchand tied for the points lead with Kane, should be fun to see these two go head to head all night. I imagine McLellan will want McDavid's line to match Marchands line and see who comes out on top :). I always enjoy seeing Bergeron too, he's been a beast for the Canadian national team over the years.

I don't get to see the Bruins as much, how is the mobility of your D? I know Krug can skate, Carlo is fluid for a big guy. What about the two Miller's? I don't recall McQuaid being either a good or poor skater, I know he's a tough big bodied D man who can stand his ground but never really closely watched his skating. Anyways, it didn't stand out either way in my viewings. Morrow is a complete unknown, how has he faired?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
:handclap: Nice thread. Oil/Flyers fan with a very big soft spot for the B's!!

Should be a good one tonight.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Sad the road trip has to come to an end, loving the 6 or 7 pm starts in my part of the world.

If the Bruins win I believe this would be their longest win streak of the season at 5 as they have had 4 win streaks 3 times now.

Marchand and Pasta stay hot, while my man Stafford gets another point to keep his almost point a game standards up.

The Boston Bruins goal scoring machine is up and running hopefully they put up 4+ again.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Should be a fun game. McDavid and Marchand tied for the points lead with Kane, should be fun to see these two go head to head all night. I imagine McLellan will want McDavid's line to match Marchands line and see who comes out on top :). I always enjoy seeing Bergeron too, he's been a beast for the Canadian national team over the years.

I think the Oilers, IMO, would be wise to stay away from that line.

Sure McDavid / Maroon played well against us last time...but we're clicking on all cylinders and Bergeron/Marchand are playing really well.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan

I don't get to see the Bruins as much, how is the mobility of your D? I know Krug can skate, Carlo is fluid for a big guy. What about the two Miller's? I don't recall McQuaid being either a good or poor skater, I know he's a tough big bodied D man who can stand his ground but never really closely watched his skating. Anyways, it didn't stand out either way in my viewings. Morrow is a complete unknown, how has he faired?
No way in hell do they put McDavid head to head with Bergeron...

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

McQuaid is slow of foot, but he's partnered with Krug, so it balances out. K. Miller the same, but more mobile than McQuaid. C. Miller is the best skating D we have. More prone to mistakes than Krug, but is fast and smooth with or without the puck.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Nobody who has ever seen Crosby against Bergeron makes the mistake of matching their best against him. Maybe the biggest unexpected mismatch since Gretzky vs Kasper.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

C Miller is a good skater with a wicked shot. Has his fair share of mental mistakes, but personally I think he's a good piece for this team. K Miller's skating has definitely improved this year as well.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan

If you do not know much about Colin Miller, I will just mention that he won the AHL fastest skater and hardest shot in 2015.

Check out our thread on him for videos. He is also a great open ice hitter.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Why not? He's consistently faced other teams top lines.

It would be good for him to go against Bergeron head to head (I have great respect for Bergeron). McLellan didn't shy away from matching McDavid against Crosby where McDavid dominated him both games.

The alternative would be Nuge's line, Nuge is good defensively but McDavid is better. I think the bright lights of Marchand being tied and the best defensive forward in Bergeron would be a welcomed challenge.

I'm interested to see how he fairs. It's a very tough matchup against that line. Bergeron and Marchand both played roughly 11 mins 5 v 5 last game and were a collective -4 while McDavid was +2 with 2 points.

Why avoid the matchup? I can't wait to see it, that top line for you guys is one of the best in the NHL.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If you do not know much about Colin Miller, I will just mention that he won the AHL fastest skater and hardest shot in 2015.

Check out our thread on him for videos. He is also a great open ice hitter.

Thanks for that, don't know a ton about him. From the quick research I did, it looks like he's a tough, mobile D man. Still relatively young as well.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan

It would be good for him to go against Bergeron head to head (I have great respect for Bergeron). McLellan didn't shy away from matching McDavid against Crosby where McDavid dominated him both games.

The alternative would be Nuge's line, Nuge is good defensively but McDavid is better. I think the bright lights of Marchand being tied and the best defensive forward in Bergeron would be a welcomed challenge.

I'm interested to see how he fairs. It's a very tough matchup against that line. Bergeron and Marchand both played roughly 11 mins 5 v 5 last game and were a collective -4 while McDavid was +2 with 2 points.

Why avoid the matchup? I can't wait to see it, that top line for you guys is one of the best in the NHL.
I will just state the obvious, that no team would wanna play your superstar vs Bergeron and Marchand. You would have much better success against any other line.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Thanks for that, don't know a ton about him. From the quick research I did, it looks like he's a tough, mobile D man. Still relatively young as well.
No prob buddy. I live about 3.5 hours from Edmonton so they are my number 2 team but tonight they are my enemy. After tonight I wish nothing but the best for them and will be looking forward to them being in the playoffs!

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Big difference between going up against Crosby and going up against Bergeron. Bergeron is the premiere shutdown center in the NHL, and it's not even close. Across from Bergeron is where Art Ross Trophy winners go to die.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont

IMO, its different when you play an elite (arguably best 2 way center in the league) then Crosby.

Not saying he can't succeed against Patrice, but why take that chance when you can go against Krejci's line instead?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I will just state the obvious, that no team would wanna play your superstar vs Bergeron and Marchand. You would have much better success against any other line.

That's where it's different with McDavid. He wants that matchup, he's best when the lights are the brightest.

I fully know that Bergeron is a machine and the best defensive forward in the NHL. Huge fan, I'm a proud western Canadian like yourself. I know exactly how good Bergeron has been and will always revere him for his play with Team Canada.

At the same time, McDavid is the most talented player in the NHL. I know we shouldn't use small sample sizes but he dwarfed Crosby and Malkin head to head. He was just better, no other way to say it. I watched Gretzky and Lemieux live, McDavid has that same "better than everyone else in an obvious way" quality. He played well last time against Bergeron, the kid thrives in big moments. I think we'll see them matched up. Nuge can't handle that line.

No prob buddy. I live about 3.5 hours from Edmonton so they are my number 2 team but tonight they are my enemy. After tonight I wish nothing but the best for them and will be looking forward to them being in the playoffs!

Of course we're the enemy tonight, wouldn't have it any other way :yo:.

I've never been to New England or Boston, but I have a feeling Boston guys are similar to Albertans. Good, tough guys who are loyal to the very end. As all my buddies across Canada say, if you're going into a fight, get some western Canadian prairie boys on your side.

I've always like the Bruins (cheered for them against the Canucks in the SCF). Good luck brother, if you ever want to chat players and analyze the game away from the stupidity of the mains PM me. I've always got time to discuss our game.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thanks for the memories, Fenway. (I think)
Let's hope Tuukka is "lights out" tonight! :handclap::handclap:

Hey the Wayback Machine found a playoff game to Edmonton we didn't lose....we didn't win either but hey :laugh:

Not too many times you go to a SCF game and get your money back :laugh::laugh:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
IMO, its different when you play an elite (arguably best 2 way center in the league) then Crosby.

Not saying he can't succeed against Patrice, but why take that chance when you can go against Krejci's line instead?

Because no one else can take that matchup. McDavid is very good defensively and probably our best defensive forward. Nuge, while he's good defensively, would get destroyed.

I don't know, last game in Boston he faired well and held his own. It's a good challenge, Bergeron and Marchand are unreal and good veteran players. I think the challenge would be perfect when we're gearing up for playoff mode.

Why shy away from it? If he's truly the best, he shouldn't be hidden or sheltered.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
That's where it's different with McDavid. He wants that matchup, he's best when the lights are the brightest.

I fully know that Bergeron is a machine and the best defensive forward in the NHL. Huge fan, I'm a proud western Canadian like yourself. I know exactly how good Bergeron has been and will always revere him for his play with Team Canada.

At the same time, McDavid is the most talented player in the NHL. I know we shouldn't use small sample sizes but he dwarfed Crosby and Malkin head to head. He was just better, no other way to say it. I watched Gretzky and Lemieux live, McDavid has that same "better than everyone else in an obvious way" quality. He played well last time against Bergeron, the kid thrives in big moments. I think we'll see them matched up. Nuge can't handle that line.

Of course we're the enemy tonight, wouldn't have it any other way :yo:.

I've never been to New England or Boston, but I have a feeling Boston guys are similar to Albertans. Good, tough guys who are loyal to the very end. As all my buddies across Canada say, if you're going into a fight, get some western Canadian prairie boys on your side.

I've always like the Bruins (cheered for them against the Canucks in the SCF). Good luck brother, if you ever want to chat players and analyze the game away from the stupidity of the mains PM me. I've always got time to discuss our game.
I do most of my posting in the lounge, if you wanna chat there. For the most part it is a good group of people. Check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad