GDT: Game 70: Seattle Kraken(38-24-7) @ Dallas Stars(38-19-13) - 5:30 p.m. PT / 8:30 p.m. ET

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Tonight the Kraken's quest for a playoff spot will be tested again by the Dallas Stars.
The Kraken hosted Dallas twice last week and lost both games(3-4 in OT and 2-5) slipping into a wild card spot of the Western Conference.

In order to change that the Kraken will need to play a better and more disciplined defensive style having given up at least four goals during three of their last four games.

Where?
American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX
american-airlines-center-tx-tickets-1.jpg

When?
05:30 p.m. PT / 8:30 pm. ET / 1:30 a.m. CET

How to watch?
ROOT-NW, BSSWX
------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Keys to the game

1) Defense, Defense, Defense

The Kraken have fallen back into old habits of last season talking about the defensive side of the game.
Since about the All-Star Break the Kraken have not looked the same defensively and given up more and more high danger chances during games, which has cost them.
Given that they're going into Dallas with Joey D'Accord in net, the team needs to play a very solid defensive style in order to get anything out of this game.

2) Get to the net
To no surprise the Kraken haven't been able to keep up their shooting percentages of the first half of the season and scoring has gotten a bit tougher on them with teams playing for a playoff berth.
In order to fix this the team needs to find ways to get to the net, take away the eyes of the opponents goalie(especially a guy like Oettinger) and create goals that way as well.

3) Power play/special teams overall
The Kraken have done a better job on the penalty kill but there's still a lot to be improved upon.

Though, the biggest problem is the power play that has gotten really stale and predictable.
The Kakren are usually playing a 1-3-1 and are trying to get the puck to the wing and shoot, with the exception being Dunn from the point, every now and then.

In order to be tougher to defend the team needs to find ways to get someone to the bumper spot(Bjorstrand's been good there) and create other looks for themselves and other teams penalty kills.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i

Top Scorers:
Vince Dunn: 13(G) - 44(A) ---> 57 points
Jared McCann: 33(G) - 21(A) ---> 54 points
Jordan Eberle: 16(G) - 37(A) ---> 53 points

Work Load:
Adam Larsson: 23:52 TOI/Game
Vince Dunn: 23:45 TOI/Game
Jamie Oleksiak: 19:16 TOI/Game

Netminders:
Martin Jones: 24-12-3 / .887(SV%) / 3.07 GAA
Philipp Grubauer: 13-12-4 / .892(SV%) / 3.02 GAA
Joey D'Accord: 1-0-0 / .900(SV%) / 4.00 GAA
giphy.gif

i

Top Scorers:
Jason Robertson: 41(G) - 47(A) ---> 88 points
Jamie Benn: 29(G) - 38(A) ---> 67 points
Roope Hintz: 32(G) - 33(A) ---> 65 points

Work Load:
Miro Heiskanen: 25:33 TOI/Game
Ryan Suter: 20:16 TOI/Game
Esa Lindell: 20:01 TOI/Game

Netminders:
Jake Oettinger: 30-10-10 / .918(SV%) / 2.46 GAA
Scott Wedgewood: 7-8-3 / .913(SV%) / 2.92 GAA
Matt Murray: 1-1-0 / .825(SV%) / 3.52 GAA
------------------------------------------------

Let's see how this one goes.

The Kraken are in need of points(no matter how, even if it's just one) to keep on adding to their total and keep their position in the playoff race.
They'll also be forced to play their 3rd goalie as Joey D'Accord starts in net tonight.

The Stars, on the other hand, are currently first in the Central Division and are trying to fend off the Avalanche, who're pushing for the top spot in their division.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Kraken react to a dissapointing last week and right before two key games against the Nashville Predators.

Let's hope they're ready to go and as always....
giphy.gif

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I may not get it, but I want a win. Preds are crushing Buffalo and we have to keep up.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It happens again. We score and give it right back almost immediately.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sprong does his sniper thing and it's 2-1. Our defense is looking a little shaky, so every goal we can get is welcome.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Great period for us offensively. Dallas has been stuck in their own end and they are lucky to be only trrailing by one goal.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Kraken look really committed tonight. Daccord has faced only five shots and the defense hasn't so much settled down as has had little to do. Can the team shake off the doldrums for an entire game, though?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
McCann strikes early for a 3-1 lead. I like how this is going.

Oleksiak takes one of the dumbest hooking penalties that I have ever seen. Totally brain dead play,

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At the moment, the entire Dallas team, minus goalie, is playing like they are hungover.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Guys, guys. Soucy takes a mindlessly stupid tripping penalty. Jeez, these are so easily avoidable.

We kill that off, and Matty gets us a power play by being aggressive around the Dallas net....It goes by fast, no thanks to us, as the Kraken have no net presence for the full two minutes,

Dallas waking up, Daccord doing a good job so far, Couple of big saves, one of the type his colleagues' frequently allow at the wrong time.

Last edited:

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
4th line has been really noticeable in a good way.

Dallas had 7 guys on the ice there? No call. Of course.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Larsson has been really good tonight, Was really rambunctuous on offense in the early going, Daccord, I pray, will hold on to this lead. He's look more than solid so far,

We had a little lull there in the latter stages of the second period, but Gourde's line got us back in the swing of things.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Dallas is going to push back hard here in the 3rd. Can't rest on our laurels. Also don't need the refs helping the Stars out either.

The defense has looked better. Playing downhill with the lead seems to have helped. Or maybe they are just more focused on the road?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Oleksiak late covering his man, Dallas with an opportunistic goal. Still up a goal, though. Hope we don't go into a defensive shell. Not our strong suit,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad