GDT: Game 70: Red Wings vs isle 7:00 pm et 3/21/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Two excerpts that prove the Wings have HFB on their radar:

“He means everything to this team,” said forward Christian Fischer, who had a goal and two assists. “The season he’s had up until that injury was just remarkable. He's a true No. 1 center, which is really hard to find. He drives the play. You see every guy competing a little bit harder, just having the presence of Larks back there.”

It’s unbelievable, just the difference when everyone is slotted where they should be,” Detroit coach Derek Lalonde said about Larkin, who was cleared to play earlier in the day. “Quality win, great team win. A huge positive and we needed it. We took care of business at home here.”

The Dekeyser Effect!!!

And Edvinsson is such a large human being, he almost looks photoshopped in that photo.

Reactions: Sentinel and jaster

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Reimer is our best goalie at the moment, yes. He’s not our only hope for making the playoffs though. 1) I’d bet Lyon rebounds and is the better goalie down the stretch, and 2) even if that’s not the case and they do ride Reimer to the playoffs, it’ll be in spite of him… he’s still awful 90% of the time lol.
There are 12 games left and the only B2B game is at the very end. Lyon might not get any starts as long as Reimer is winning. He's had his chance.

If the team makes the playoffs, it'll be in spite of ALL of the goalies, lol. Reimer now has the best GAA and SV% out of the 3. All 3 seem gaffe prone, like the first goal tonight.

Two excerpts that prove the Wings have HFB on their radar:

“He means everything to this team,” said forward Christian Fischer, who had a goal and two assists. “The season he’s had up until that injury was just remarkable. He's a true No. 1 center, which is really hard to find. He drives the play. You see every guy competing a little bit harder, just having the presence of Larks back there.”

It’s unbelievable, just the difference when everyone is slotted where they should be,” Detroit coach Derek Lalonde said about Larkin, who was cleared to play earlier in the day. “Quality win, great team win. A huge positive and we needed it. We took care of business at home here.”

The Dekeyser Effect!!!

And Edvinsson is such a large human being, he almost looks photoshopped in that photo.
Not really, the same discussion occurs in other places.

The only thing that makes HFB special is the love for Copp.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
There are 12 games left and the only B2B game is at the very end. Lyon might not get any starts as long as Reimer is winning. He's had his chance.

If the team makes the playoffs, it'll be in spite of ALL of the goalies, lol. Reimer now has the best GAA and SV% out of the 3. All 3 seem gaffe prone, like the first goal tonight.

Not really, the same discussion occurs in other places.

The only thing that makes HFB special is the love for Copp.

The lack of hate is not love.

Oct 18, 2006
Wife dragged me out to get drunk and go to a comedy show, and we won. Think this may be the first game I missed in the past 10-15. She will need to continue this until game 82.

So nice to see Larkin get 2 in his return.

How was Ed?
Thought he was outstanding. His size, reach, skating, outlet passing, use of his frame, all great. Honestly, he’s made a difference already.

And what the heck was up with Ras? Only 3 hours sleep?? He skated and drove the net like I’ve never seen him do before. He’s quietly up to 33 points on the season.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Thought he was outstanding. His size, reach, skating, outlet passing, use of his frame, all great. Honestly, he’s made a difference already.

And what the heck was up with Ras? Only 3 hours sleep?? He skated and drove the net like I’ve never seen him do before. He’s quietly up to 33 points on the season.

Maybe sleep makes Ras think too much, and lack of sleep he just plays or something. His last 2 games have been pretty good.

Great playmaking plays from DeBrincat in this game.

Larkin 3-1 and Kane 5-1. Man those were beauties.

Don't have to worry about his individual goal-scoring. Those were elite playmaking plays.

We still need him to score again. He doesn't make those kind of passes all the time.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Yeah, then Larkin and Kane will stop over-scoring, if DeBrincat will start scoring.

Team-balance is just that way currently.
DBC needs to get back to the playmaking (like tonight) because we are a way more dangerous team then. When he and Kane get out there and telegraph every shot going from Kaner to him; we do nothing.

DBC that playmaker opens up the ice and creates mismatches for Larkin and Kane to shoot. I know we expected more goals, but honestly as long as he goes PPG I don't care if its assists or goals. He's underrated as a playmaker and he moves his feet a lot more when he is looking to make a pass.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Wife dragged me out to get drunk and go to a comedy show, and we won. Think this may be the first game I missed in the past 10-15. She will need to continue this until game 82.

So nice to see Larkin get 2 in his return.

How was Ed?
Not perfect, but he was good. He's gonna be a monster in this league soon enough. Made a few "rookie mistakes"; rushed a couple passes, muffined a couple breakouts, a couple bad decisions, but overall he showed he belonged.

I just trust him back there, and when he figures out the pace of the NHL, he'll dominate.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
How did SE look last night..honest reflection, less fan response...

Wasnt able to watch myself
If I had to choose a word, he looked steady in a top 4 role. A couple of bad clearing attempts, but no worse than anyone else, a couple of great and timely pinches, almost got caught one, but I think Cat had his back and he hustled back and hit someone in corner before a shot was made.

I think his biggest impact is on Mo, I think Mo has stepped up the physicality since Simon is now there, as Simon is playing PK. The biggest improvement I notice about Simon is faster decision making ability, he can skate it out, make a very good pass or shoot it out, he is making adjustments game by game (I was impressed over a few small adjustments he made on speed side of things).

He certainly uses his size to his advantage, we'll see how he stacks up on the road, where teams will try to avoid Mo if they can, if we have two of them back there, road life for the team should be easier.

I think they will keep him up for good now, and we'll see AlJo as the FT rookie on the blueline in the fall.

It could be a pretty interesting blueline the rest of the way once Walman gets back.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
How did SE look last night..honest reflection, less fan response...

Wasnt able to watch myself
He looked good for the most part. He lost a couple of puck battles he should have won which led to scoring chances, and one led to huge one. A couple of bad clearing attempts. I think he has to think the game faster now that he isn't in the AHL anymore.

All in all, I would say he was our 3rd or 4th best defenseman last night, behind Seider and Chiarot.

Last edited:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
For sure. I just have a hard time seeing Reimer continuing to hold it together. He has a track record of consistently not doing that for most of his career. We'll see, I'm not predicting anything because goalies are voodoo, I just don't think Reimer is necessarily a shoo-in. I'm too familiar with him lol.

Collectively our goalies suck, but Lyon's numbers completely tanked his past 7 or 8 starts. Prior to that he had several amazing games, games you could say we probably shouldn't have won. He's the only goalie of the three who has done that for a stretch this season. So I give Lyon some credit for his hot streak that probably earned Detroit some points they didn't deserve. Outside of that, our goaltending has been pedestrian at best, or horrible at worst.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
He looked good for the most part. He lost a couple of puck battles he should have won which led to scoring chances, and one led to huge one. A couple of bad clearing attempts. I think he has to think the game faster now that he isn't in the AHL anymore.

All in all, I would say he was our 3rd or 4th best defenseman last night, behind Seider and Chiarot.
Agreed. I'd say he was probably our 3rd best dman but also made some rookie mistakes. He is still feeling out NHL speed, and the only way he is going to adjust to that is to play. His ability to make a smooth outlet pass adds a really nice dimension to our offense and breakout ability. He may already have the best breakout pass on the team.

It's so refreshing to see him make tape to tape passes. How many times have we seen offense killed this season because passes are in peoples feet or we have to bank it out? Ed still has to learn that sometimes you have to chip it out but I love the way he moves the puck out of his own end 75% of the time.

His physicality is also an underrated aspect of his game. It wasn't entirely consistent last night, but he has the ability to really clear out the crease. His size allows him to not just tie up his man out front but to completely push them clear of the net.

Right now when Walman is healthy, I'd seriously consider benching Ghost and keeping Ed in the lineup.

Chia- Seider
Ed- Petry
Walman-Maata

I think that is what I would go with right now.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Don't wanna look too far ahead, but if they play Bos in the 1st rd, anyone else think the Wings can take them? Big advantage in goal for B's, but outside of Pasta and Marchand they are weak at fwd.
I don't think we win the series at all, but I do see us giving them fits and maybe make it a close series. Hoping for a game 7 never know what happens type of game (could be 1-0 or 7-6 or 5-1) but if I am being as realistic as possible (with a hint of optimism) I would hope and expect a 4-2 series loss. We play them well enough (this year) to win 2 games, hoping they are both at home.

I just don't think Boston is going to be knocked out of the first round again like last year. That fanbase would go full destruct mode.

32-18-6 with Larkin in the lineup

4-10-0 without him.

With the way Larkin's played all year, as long as he's healthy we can hang with anyone in a 7 game series. He certainly didn't look like a guy who's missed the last 7 or w/e games tonight.
Have to remember though, some of those losses were in december when perron and compher were both out.

Not to mention our starting lineup goalies as well.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
DBC needs to get back to the playmaking (like tonight) because we are a way more dangerous team then. When he and Kane get out there and telegraph every shot going from Kaner to him; we do nothing.

DBC that playmaker opens up the ice and creates mismatches for Larkin and Kane to shoot. I know we expected more goals, but honestly as long as he goes PPG I don't care if its assists or goals. He's underrated as a playmaker and he moves his feet a lot more when he is looking to make a pass.
reminds me of the playoffs in 2018 when the capitals kept switching ovi and carlsson.

They would move carlsson to ovi's spot and ovi to carlsson point spot in a lidstrom-rafalski -esque switch at the blue line and absolutely no one knew who was going to let it go. Honestly don't even think the capitals players on the ice knew where it was going to come from. Their powerplay was almost automatic for a little bit there because of this.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
His physicality is also an underrated aspect of his game. It wasn't entirely consistent last night, but he has the ability to really clear out the crease. His size allows him to not just tie up his man out front but to completely push them clear of the net.

Right now when Walman is healthy, I'd seriously consider benching Ghost and keeping Ed in the lineup.

Chia- Seider
Ed- Petry
Walman-Maata

I think that is what I would go with right now.
did you see what he did to anders lee in the first period (i believe 1st period..)?

I know ed is big and can use his size but damn. Lee isn't a small guy to be having that done to him. That's when I started to perk up a bit when he got on the ice. Really starting to remind me of that Hedman character down south.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I forgot. This game deserved a

clapgif.gif

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I don't think we win the series at all, but I do see us giving them fits and maybe make it a close series. Hoping for a game 7 never know what happens type of game (could be 1-0 or 7-6 or 5-1) but if I am being as realistic as possible (with a hint of optimism) I would hope and expect a 4-2 series loss. We play them well enough (this year) to win 2 games, hoping they are both at home.

I just don't think Boston is going to be knocked out of the first round again like last year. That fanbase would go full destruct mode.

Have to remember though, some of those losses were in december when perron and compher were both out.

Not to mention our starting lineup goalies as well.
I've seen enough the last two weeks to suggest that those other role players are small potatoes. No Larkin = this team is godawful. With Larkin = the team is good.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad