GDT: Game 70: Red Wings vs isle 7:00 pm et 3/21/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
did you see what he did to anders lee in the first period (i believe 1st period..)?

I know ed is big and can use his size but damn. Lee isn't a small guy to be having that done to him. That's when I started to perk up a bit when he got on the ice. Really starting to remind me of that Hedman character down south.

Not sure if this was the play but at one point the puck ended up right in the crease and Ed just simply flattened a dude while also pushing completely off to the side of the net. It was a great play.

I also recall a play against the BJs were he just absolutely destroyed a guy along the boards as well.

He and Seider are both incredibly strong outside of just being big. They just plant and drive through guys. I don't know if we see either guy ever going full Vladdy/Pronger re-enactment but these guys are going to be an absolute menace of other teams to play against.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Not sure if this was the play but at one point the puck ended up right in the crease and Ed just simply flattened a dude while also pushing completely off to the side of the net. It was a great play.

I also recall a play against the BJs were he just absolutely destroyed a guy along the boards as well.

He and Seider are both incredibly strong outside of just being big. They just plant and drive through guys. I don't know if we see either guy ever going full Vladdy/Pronger re-enactment but these guys are going to be an absolute menace of other teams to play against.
That's the one. It reminded me of seider in his first year using his weight. Ed just shoved down Lee and he was just sitting there looking up at Ed.

About as close to a "posterizing" play in hockey there is compared to a huge dunk on a contested shot.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
For sure. I just have a hard time seeing Reimer continuing to hold it together. He has a track record of consistently not doing that for most of his career. We'll see, I'm not predicting anything because goalies are voodoo, I just don't think Reimer is necessarily a shoo-in. I'm too familiar with him lol.

It's our best hope for the playoffs. I don't love Reimer, but I'm supporting him because he is the starting goalie. Certainly won't go around blaming him for breakaway goals, that's just silly. I can hate on Copp because there's 11 other forwards on the ice, it's not the same with goalies.

Now if Reimer and Lyon both shit the bed, I'm gonna make a three headed spacegoat wit the goalies for my avatar.

Reactions: dalem177

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I loved how physical Seider was last night.

This is a team problem so not really a criticism of just Mo but I feel like he usually only steps up the physicality in response to physical teams. I'd love to see him set that tone and bully guys instead of only doing it in response.

Again, I think it's a team issue where they seem to play in response to the tone their opponent sets. Larkin referred to Ras Copp Fischer as an "identity" line. I agree and think it's one of the few lines that really has a style and tone to their play regardless of who they're up against.

As the Wings get better hopefully they'll develop more of an identity as a team in terms of style of play.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

This is a team problem so not really a criticism of just Mo but I feel like he usually only steps up the physicality in response to physical teams. I'd love to see him set that tone and bully guys instead of only doing it in response.

Again, I think it's a team issue where they seem to play in response to the tone their opponent sets. Larkin referred to Ras Copp Fischer as an "identity" line. I agree and think it's one of the few lines that really has a style and tone to their play regardless of who they're up against.

As the Wings get better hopefully they'll develop more of an identity as a team in terms of style of play.
This is exactly why I can't wait for the playoffs with seider/raymond/larkin. Especially Mo. I need to see playoff Mo because I think it will be a sight to behold (really hope he doesn't fold under the pressure, don't really think he has the character trait tbh)

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
That's the one. It reminded me of seider in his first year using his weight. Ed just shoved down Lee and he was just sitting there looking up at Ed.

About as close to a "posterizing" play in hockey there is compared to a huge dunk on a contested shot.
mo-ed-onath.jpg.png

Fischer's new nickname for me is "F-Bomb".

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
For sure. I just have a hard time seeing Reimer continuing to hold it together. He has a track record of consistently not doing that for most of his career. We'll see, I'm not predicting anything because goalies are voodoo, I just don't think Reimer is necessarily a shoo-in. I'm too familiar with him lol.

Collectively our goalies suck, but Lyon's numbers completely tanked his past 7 or 8 starts. Prior to that he had several amazing games, games you could say we probably shouldn't have won. He's the only goalie of the three who has done that for a stretch this season. So I give Lyon some credit for his hot streak that probably earned Detroit some points they didn't deserve. Outside of that, our goaltending has been pedestrian at best, or horrible at worst.
I think Lyon won us around 5 points on his own. Husso and Reimer has not won us a single point on their own. Both Husso and Reimer allow at least 1 or even 2 semi soft or in Reimers case soft goals.
I think goaltending and coaching have been our weakness, not a big one though.
I also think our forwards have been worse defensively than our dmen. And our dmen have been good offensively.

He is far more physical than what I expected.
Both Seider and Chiarot played a bit more physical, probably because we fight for a playoffs spot.
Chiarot has played great lately and his assist last night was McDavid like.

What do the coaches tell him.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think Lyon won us around 5 points on his own. Husso and Reimer has not won us a single point on their own. Both Husso and Reimer allow at least 1 or even 2 semi soft or in Reimers case soft goals.
I think goaltending and coaching have been our weakness, not a big one though.
I also think our forwards have been worse defensively than our dmen. And our dmen have been good offensively.

He is far more physical than what I expected.
Both Seider and Chiarot played a bit more physical, probably because we fight for a playoffs spot.
Chiarot has played great lately and his assist last night was McDavid like.

What do the coaches tell him.
seider could become a pronger if he wanted to. As long as the dirty stuff is palatable then i'm fine with it. But if he just starts beheading guys out there then idk.

might be a no for me dawg

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Collectively our goalies suck, but Lyon's numbers completely tanked his past 7 or 8 starts. Prior to that he had several amazing games, games you could say we probably shouldn't have won. He's the only goalie of the three who has done that for a stretch this season. So I give Lyon some credit for his hot streak that probably earned Detroit some points they didn't deserve. Outside of that, our goaltending has been pedestrian at best, or horrible at worst.

Yeah I think he just got burned out and is getting a break for a bit to recover (Lyon).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad