GDT: Game 70 - Pens @ Avs - Central on the Line - 6PM

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Didn't watch the game but once again, we lose to playoff teams. And the Pens are a semi-playoff team. Pathetic. I'm not holding my breath for a repeat.

The Penguins were desperate. But the Avs bottom of the roster guys took the night off mentally on a game night. Maybe that's the proof that the Avs weren't ready to play tonight? Stupid penalties by the 4th line can't be the reason the Avs lose. And tonight was mostly on them. It's hard to judge the rest of the team when they spent so much time on the PK in the 2nd.

I'll also say, that was and extremely bad blunder when Girard fumbled the puck. I noticed they hit him on the forecheck several times. Maybe that was part of Pittsburgh's strategy towards him in particular and maybe that's why he fumbled the puck?

Reactions: katfude

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am just super pissed at this game. Losing to a trash team with a bandwagon fanbase is by far the worst, while I thought our fanbase was pretty pathetic tonight.

I gotta bring up the refs and not to fully bash them or blame them for the loss, but that call on Cogliano...no words whatsoever. I actually have no problems with the call, but f***ing call it consistently. I saw Pens players get away with that type of play in this game, and that play happens in every single hockey game. Call that effin' hold consistently or don't call it at all you garbage zebras.

EmptyHiddenFlyingfish-max-1mb.gif

I wish we could've done this for #18 and #7 tonight, awful games from players who've had pretty below-average seasons. Nobody scoring except f***ing JTC37 against a team with that defensive core is beyond tragic, it is bag skate worthy for the forward core for me. Holy hell, the scoreline could've been f***ing worst as well, that's the problem, Georgiev saved like four sure goals.

The shots are 34-15 Pittsburgh the last 40 minutes lol.

This is twice now the Penguins have completely annihilated the Avs in the second half of hockey games this season.
I wouldn't say it is the Penguins, Avs have had a turtle problem the entire season, to be frank.

Reactions: xAvsx89 and katfude

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldn't say it is the Penguins, Avs have had a turtle problem the entire season, to be frank
Bit of both. Avs have gotten outplayed a lot this season but Pittsburgh especially has pounded them in the second half of both games this season. Like it hasn't even been close. No clue why, the Penguins just pump the Avs. Tonight being 5-2 was probably generous to the Avs.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I kinda saw this one coming. I had a feeling that was one injury too many, and the Pens were desperate. Can’t beat a team playing slow and soft like that. Didn’t help that while Georgiev was amazing, Jarry decided tonight he wasn’t going to suck either.

Oh well. I suppose if you’re gonna drop one, that’s the one to drop.

This game, however, just furthers my utter hatred of Kurtis MacDermid. Or more specifically, the ridiculously stupid way they’re deploying him. If you’re not gonna let your goon play like a goon then don’t f***ing play him. It’s not his fault he’s not in the NHL for his hockey skills, because he hasn’t any.

Reactions: katfude

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bit of both. Avs have gotten outplayed a lot this season but Pittsburgh especially has pounded them in the second half of both games this season. Like it hasn't even been close. No clue why, the Penguins just pump the Avs. Tonight being 5-2 was probably generous to the Avs.
Teams that play a very aggressive defensive style are kryptonite to the Avs. When they’re losing puck battles and can’t complete passes they just wither. And it’s not the hitting that kills them so much, it’s the active sticks in passing lanes that really get them. Avs have enough skill to overcome that sometimes but they didn’t tonight.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wanted more, but they did ok. Pitt is a team fighting for life.

Overall I didn't hate their game. Pitt sold out for that win. I really don't want our guy's doing the same.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not their best, not their worst. Pitt is fighting for air, we're trying to stay healthy.

At this point I'd rather they play a respectable game and lose rather than sell out.

They held their ground, but made mistakes they don't when on tilt.

Malgin looked good, it's fun, he's not perfect but he makes plays, doesn't defer. Puts in a solid back check.

I think he's legit.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There was at least twice he took that line back into the OZ where they were all thinking change. Malgin goes for it if he sees an opening. I think he extended their shifts a couple times on his own.

I see stuff sometimes, might be just getting old and hopeful, but I like the kid.

He's already an awesome story, and this franchise is good at those.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
That was a real stinker. But hey, it had to happen after 6W in a row.

88 points and playoffs allready secured, all while playing with a bandaid-team night in and out is a miracle. I can live with that all day.

Still in the hunt for 1st in the central. Minny and Dallas wont win it all either.

Now the Coyotes x2....Time to bounce back and clubber these desert-hounds.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
I am still buffled that Bednar is dressing MacDermid again and again. He is by far the worst player in the entire league. I dont even know who plays D on the Eagles right now but I am 100% certain that everybody is better than him. Oh and Tyson Jost is a way better player that Newhook.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I’m ok with losses like this. That was a game 7 style effort from the Pens for their playoff lives against the Cup champs. And the Avs came close to matching that effort level with a lot less to play for.

Something tells me ERod could have been the difference in this game though as the ex Pen. He seems to be starting to find his scoring touch again recently too. Some of those slot and net front chances on the PP when it was 3-2 had ERod’s name written all over it.

Interestingly, I feel like the Pens watched the Avs high zone cycle and point shots and tried to mimic in it in the third period. Crosby especially after Nate had some high zone point shots was doing the same thing. Don’t watch Sid a ton but I haven’t seen him do that much. Lots of teams trying to mimic the Avs style after their Cup win.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Couldn't watch any of this game but it looks like it was a good one to miss lol. Certainly looks lopsided.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
A loss after a 6 game win streak. Just fold the team now.
I think a big reason why so many people get upset over losses this season is how bad the Avs look against playoff teams. They are beating the bad teams which they should. However, since January 1st they are 8-7-3 (including Florida here) and 4 of those 8 wins have required OT or SO.

It's been a similar story all season. More losses overall to top teams than wins. That doesn't paint a good picture come playoff time.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I think a big reason why so many people get upset over losses this season is how bad the Avs look against playoff teams. They are beating the bad teams which they should. However, since January 1st they are 8-7-3 (including Florida here) and 4 of those 8 wins have required OT or SO.

It's been a similar story all season. More losses overall to top teams than wins. That doesn't paint a good picture come playoff time.

I don’t think it was great but I think it had more to do with the Pens being desperate for a win than the Avs playing poorly last night.

I get what you’re saying but the Avs are missing 2 top 6 wingers, a middle 6 winger, #1 D, #4 D, and #6 D. They’re gonna struggle against healthier teams.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Exactly. Nothing to do with the loss. Our game plan or players aren't good enough vs. playoff teams.

If we want to win this season, we better hope all our best players return before the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad