GDT: Game 70 - Pens @ Avs - Central on the Line - 6PM

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Who's going to fight him with that lineup? Carter certainly isn't dropping the gloves with MacDermid.
My problem is the Avs don't even make life difficult on him or the other Penguins top stars.

If Kurtis MacDermid is going to take a regular shift (and he still was in the 3rd until like 9 minutes left), he better be hitting someone every single shift idgaf if it's late.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
It's ok, I bet Makar is back next game and Landy should be back in the next two or 3 games. When healthy this team is unstoppable!

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs lost the corsi battle in a major way, gave up more scoring chances (25-21) and more high danger chances (14-12).

It was a horrendous game back for Darren Helm. Got caved in literally every single shift and he only played 6 minutes. That line with Galchenyuk and Nieto also gave up several scoring chances and high danger chances while not creating anything for themselves.

Top line drove the bus again analytically. They also played a stupidly high amount of minutes. Devon Toews played almost half the game.

You can't win games expecting your top guys to play 24+ minutes up front and 28+ minutes on the back end.

Yet another story of "Avs need to get healthy" yet they probably won't the rest of the season given how we have been decimated all year long.

Reactions: Reparlana

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My problem is the Avs don't even make life difficult on him or the other Penguins top stars.

If Kurtis MacDermid is going to take a regular shift (and he still was in the 3rd until like 9 minutes left), he better be hitting someone every single shift idgaf if it's late.
He’s too slow and unsteady to really level hits in the defensive zone. The only way he can be an effective hitter is on the forecheck. But the Avs REFUSE to deploy him as a winger, so this is what we get.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Credit to the Pens. They took advantage of their pressure while not letting too many shots through on the other end.
That last Carter goal was heartbreaking, though.

Reactions: drhiii

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I thought the only one that was questionable was the Helm one. But he was bear hugging him to the ground at the end. The Avs would have been fortunate for a 4 on 4. But at the same time, the Penguins were fortunate for that call. OConnors and Coglianos penalties were very similar.
OK.. Didn't see the OConnors penalty so I'll take your word for it. Cogs wrapped it arm around Crosby momentarily but Crosby accelerated past him and was about to recover the puck. I wouldn't have called it because the same stuff was being applied to the Avs by the Pens.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
What the f*** did Bednar say to them after the first? They were completely flat to start the second and it f***ing cost us the game. played like a bunch of disinterested losers. Now watch Dallas kill them tomorrow.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The Avs deserved every bit of this loss. They couldn't capitalize in the 1st period with all those chances and were skated out of the building in the 2nd and 3rd. They're lucky it was only 5-2.

If Erik Johnson is healthy enough to be skating as a full participant in practice he needs to be in the lineup ASAP. Kurtis MacDermid is brutal and the Brad Hunt experiment has run its course since he's an AHL guy at the end of the day.

One of those two bums at minimum needs to come out of the lineup. Every time MacDermid was on the ice tonight the Penguins were controlling the play in our zone.
It's not like MacFarland could've acquired some depth for dirt cheap at the TDL, gotta have that excess deadline cap space because reasons.

Reactions: katfude

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Didn't watch the game but once again, we lose to playoff teams. And the Pens are a semi-playoff team. Pathetic. I'm not holding my breath for a repeat.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
You missed the leafs OTW 2-1 in there.

But the point remains. For the most part, they get absolutely blitzed by any team that's half way decent.
True. And its not hard to understand why. Injuries have been a killer to this team but one also needs to recognize that the support troops aren't capable of pulling games out for this team. E-Rod, Malgin, Eller, Newhook are not capable of playing critical minutes on the top 6. And the Avs D tonight was just sloppy.

I hope Bednar rips them for the passing tonight. It was atrocious - starting with Rantanen.
McKinnon's pass decisions were atrocious. Constantly forcing the puck where there was no pathway/opening.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The Avs lost the corsi battle in a major way, gave up more scoring chances (25-21) and more high danger chances (14-12).

It was a horrendous game back for Darren Helm. Got caved in literally every single shift and he only played 6 minutes. That line with Galchenyuk and Nieto also gave up several scoring chances and high danger chances while not creating anything for themselves.

Top line drove the bus again analytically. They also played a stupidly high amount of minutes. Devon Toews played almost half the game.

You can't win games expecting your top guys to play 24+ minutes up front and 28+ minutes on the back end.

Yet another story of "Avs need to get healthy" yet they probably won't the rest of the season given how we have been decimated all year long.
Avs roster is pretty mundane beyond the elite 6. I don't expect much from them come playoff time and figure a 2nd round exit at best.

Av's depth is simply sub par.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I was at the game, and sitting lower than usual, so could be missing sine things. But I thought Byram was not good tonight. Was a train wreck QBing the PP and made a lot of questionable decisions with the puck tonight. But he wasn’t alone in that. Awful 2nd and 3rd periods tonight.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I was at the game, and sitting lower than usual, so could be missing sine things. But I thought Byram was not good tonight. Was a train wreck QBing the PP and made a lot of questionable decisions with the puck tonight. But he wasn’t alone in that. Awful 2nd and 3rd periods tonight.
Yeah, there's a reason Bednar eventually took him off the top unit and the Avs immediately scored.

Byram was either too slow moving the puck or trying to force things tonight on the PP. Neither of those can happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad