GDT: Game #70 Florida Panthers @ San Jose SHARKS 7:30pm PDT 18 March 2014 CSNCa KFox

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I disagree on Havlat. His play with the puck was how he is supposed to play. He's never going to be a physical presence and he's always going to be a guy that fishes pucks out of scrums instead of diving into one. Havlat almost got the team two or three other goals in this game...not weak shots from the perimeter but real chances on net.

Sure, if we're comparing him to Havlat of this year, he was fine. Few nice passes here and there.

The 2nd line was just average. Not bad but didn't stand out. A few chances but they also lacked puck poise - rushed passes, missed passes.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I'm a huge Thornton fan and I have to say... The beginning of the season he was flat out awesome. Some of the best play of his career. Ever since olympic teams were chosen he has looked like a shell.....

I am not happy with his play and hope it gets turned around during POs.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Kennedy is not really the one I think we should sit, true. He has had some decent moments and some less than decent moments this season, hoping he really plays as expected come the playoffs. Burish is a definite bust. Last season; yes, I do remember Kearns playing pretty decent for us in a fourth line role, much more so than what we see from Burish. Seen as well this season.

Kearns is not an NHL player. He's a nice story but that's it. Burish is terrible but he wasn't the issue tonight.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
There were just little things that were bad all game. They didn't stop the Sharks from dominating possession and shots. They stopped them from scoring.

Little thing example: Thornton whiffs on the breakaway but recovers and gets a primed pass to Burns. Burns turns away from the net while swatting at a one-timer.

You'd kinda like to see him drive straight into the net with that, instead of peeling away. It would have been much more productive to get just something rather than something awesome.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I'd have to say that was easily Boyle's worst game as a Shark, he was freakin terrible tonight

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Just beat the ducks. G'night.

10000236-00-00-00-00_lg.png

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Kearns is not an NHL player. He's a nice story but that's it. Burish is terrible but he wasn't the issue tonight.

Wrong.

On the 1st goal, you can see him just getting onto the ice at the top of the screen as the panthers are rushing it into our zone. He glides in, doesn't go hard, doesn't try to help box out while panthers flood the crease.

He's ****ing defensively lazy which is unacceptable for a 4th liner.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Wrong.

On the 1st goal, you can see him just getting onto the ice at the top of the screen as the panthers are rushing it into our zone. He glides in, doesn't go hard, doesn't try to help box out while panthers flood the crease.

He's ****ing defensively lazy which is unacceptable for a 4th liner.

You mean the play in which Sheppard pretty much made a big circle and gave the puck up? To single out Burish for that is weak. Demers also got danced by Pirri but yeah all Burish's fault.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You mean the play in which Sheppard pretty much made a big circle and gave the puck up? To single out Burish for that is weak. Demers also got danced by Pirri but yeah all Burish's fault.

I'll put that more on Sheppard than I will Demers. Demers is at least being aggressive trying to step up at the blue line and just got beat. Shep's part in that was a nice hard skate around the net and a back hand at the blue line to the middle in the attacking zone that was off the ice. He knows damn well that it has to stick around the boards in that situation. Niemi's blocker positioning was really poor on that one and that's not the first time that his blocker spot has created a situation like that.

SJSharks42

May 8, 2009
Now you have another interesting decision to make for McLellan. Niemi looked bad and looked tired with the kind of goals he was giving up. Put Stalock in and give him some big game experience or hope that Nemo's game was just a hiccup.

Niemi wasn't completely bad. He did have some good saves. But yeah, I could see figure being a factor. He sat for quite a while before, during, and after the Olympics. The decision between Stalock and him for Anaheim is huge. Would also rather see Brown in over Burish if Torres is going to sit again.

Thought Hannan was the worst Sharks tonight.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Niemi wasn't completely bad. He did have some good saves. But yeah, I could see figure being a factor. He sat for quite a while before, during, and after the Olympics. The decision between Stalock and him for Anaheim is huge. Would also rather see Brown in over Burish if Torres is going to sit again.

Boyle was worse. It's sad but true :cry:

Though having those two on the ice at the same time is... :shakehead Not like we have better options though :cry:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

There was a lot of poor play to spread around for tonight's game. The only line that played relatively smart was Marleau-Couture-Nieto. Vlasic and Braun were fine when they were on the ice. Everyone else was not playing smart for a large majority of the game. As for Nemo, a Nemo that's on his game doesn't let any of those goals in. Nemo is normally a very high save percentage goalie when the puck is on the ice...rarely lets in 5-hole goals and he gave up two. The first goal was just poor blocker positioning.

I don't think I would just sit there and say the guys in front of Nemo let him down and let that be the end of it. Yeah, they let him down but he let them down too.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
Boyle was worse. It's sad but true :cry:

Though having those two on the ice at the same time is... :shakehead Not like we have better options though :cry:

Yeah agree. And we all knew this was the one area we could have used an upgrade on at the deadline. Let's hope it doesn't come to bite us on our butts come the playoffs.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I would have liked to see Stalock in this game. He had a shutout last time against the Panthers and Niemi was coming off an emotional performance and could have used a bit more rest after the road trip. A rested, focused Niemi against the Ducks would have been nice but I knew the coaches weren't gonna bench him after a shutout.

SJSharks42

May 8, 2009
Yeah agree. And we all knew this was the one area we could have used an upgrade on at the deadline. Let's hope it doesn't come to bite us on our butts come the playoffs.

It will. Defensive shortcomings always kill otherwise great teams in the playoffs. They're hoping Stuart can be the guy that rounds everything out back there but I don't know. Not expecting much.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
On a positive note... Matt Irwin has looked much better recently. Considering how much people **** on him, he's played well these last few games. Would be nice to see him doing better considering he actually will still be around next year most likely.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Some girl who I am FB friends with apparently has known this guy for a long time and just tagged him in a status on FB. I saw his FB, not going to link it out of respect but this picture made me smile.

405642_301874499863960_2054799587_n.jpg

Kid has some game! :nod:

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
I'm not overly annoyed about the loss simply because of how awesome the opening lineup was. I got chills as he skated through the Sharks head, and then this happened as he left the ice:

w8fIA.gif

Massive props to the Sharks and Make-A-Wish Foundation. I'll never forget this game.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm not overly annoyed about the loss simply because of how awesome the opening lineup was. I got chills as he skated through the Sharks head, and then this happened as he left the ice:

w8fIA.gif

Massive props to the Sharks and Make-A-Wish Foundation. I'll never forget this game.

What happened? Always love what Make A Wish does, so why was tonight special?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad