GDT: Game #70 Florida Panthers @ San Jose SHARKS 7:30pm PDT 18 March 2014 CSNCa KFox

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Darin Stephens ‏@SharksStats 1h
The Sharks finished the season 21-7-3 against the East, but 2-3-3 against its bottom 4 teams (Carolina, NY Islanders, Florida, Buffalo).

:facepalm:

Tonight was the 6th time this season the Sharks had 50+ shots in a game. They have lost their last 4 such contests.

:facepalm::facepalm:

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
The Sharks finished the season 21-7-3 against the East, but 2-3-3 against its bottom 4 teams (Carolina, NY Islanders, Florida, Buffalo).

:facepalm:

Tonight was the 6th time this season the Sharks had 50+ shots in a game. They have lost their last 4 such contests.

:facepalm::facepalm:

I'm still so pissed about this game. Wasting a golden opportunity with Anaheim losing.

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
I'm still so pissed about this game. Wasting a golden opportunity with Anaheim losing.

Patience young grasshopper. As a vet fan these games come along once in awhile. Shrug it off and move on. Bounces went their way tonight. Sharks keep playing they way they are, they win 7 out 10 games.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Wrong.

On the 1st goal, you can see him just getting onto the ice at the top of the screen as the panthers are rushing it into our zone. He glides in, doesn't go hard, doesn't try to help box out while panthers flood the crease.

He's ****ing defensively lazy which is unacceptable for a 4th liner.

I missed the game and just watched the highlight of the first goal. Burish would be one of the last players I would blame for that goal. He glides in because he's initially watching his man, expecting Demers or Wingels to handle Pirri. Niemi played that poorly, Demers over-committed, and Wingels was the one who glides and doesn't go hard. Weak giveaway earlier by Sheppard too.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Patience young grasshopper. As a vet fan these games come along once in awhile. Shrug it off and move on. Bounces went their way tonight. Sharks keep playing they way they are, they win 7 out 10 games.

Problem is 7 out of 10 may not be good enough right now. Have to do better. If you believe they're capable. I do.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I missed the game and just watched the highlight of the first goal. Burish would be one of the last players I would blame for that goal. He glides in because he's initially watching his man, expecting Demers or Wingels to handle Pirri. Niemi played that poorly, Demers over-committed, and Wingels was the one who glides and doesn't go hard. Weak giveaway earlier by Sheppard too.

I saw it wrong during the game. At game speed I thought Wingels' man was Burish's man :dunno: He's still useless and awful lol. Just cause it didn't directly lead to a goal or two against tonight...

Anyways, McLellan and Demers both basically copped up to that being Demers fault without saying it explicitly. Demers admitted his shift was too long and that's why he got beat. McLellan said lots of guys were taking super long shifts in the offensive zone because they were getting greedy and trying to cheat for offense and then didn't have enough in the tank to get back and defend :shakehead

The arrogance of this team is really what gets on my nerves after games like this (of which there have been wayyyy too many this year). They think they can just come in against the bottom feeders of the league and give a half-assed effort because they're so much more talented. It's disgusting and embarrassing. :(

Last edited:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Yep. The whole play started because of a bad decision by Sheppard and was followed up with a really poor play by Demers.

Burish has had his issues but he's actually been a pretty good 4th liner in the past 3 games and considering they're playing the 12 healthy forwards that are on the roster that's all you can ask for. It's fun to have scapegoats on the team and all but they tend to get blamed regardless of what they do (or don't do) when they're on the ice when something goes wrong.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Sharks glided through the 1st period like the expected they would win no matter what. This is the NHL. If you don't skate with energy you will lose.

Desi made an absolutely terrible play that lead to a goal by stepping up at the blue line there.

Shep made a slightly less awful play, but still awful, by floating that pass right at the defensemen instead of getting it deep along the boards so a full change could be made.

Thought Niemi could have squeezed at least 2 of those goals.

I thought our top two lines dominated puck possession all night long, but they need to find the back of the net.

Luongo looks great when we shoot the puck right at him or miss the net.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Thought Niemi could have squeezed at least 2 of those goals.

I agree... With this Niemi, Sharks will not go far in the playoffs. The previous game Niemi, Sharks will go deep in the playoffs.

This game should have been either tied at the end of the 3rd, or won. Defense screwed up on several of those, but there are two lines of defense. The goalie is not there for the best seat in the house.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I agree... With this Niemi, Sharks will not go far in the playoffs. The previous game Niemi, Sharks will go deep in the playoffs.

This game should have been either tied at the end of the 3rd, or won. Defense screwed up on several of those, but there are two lines of defense. The goalie is not there for the best seat in the house.

Pretty much this.

But simply put Niemi was outplayed by Luongo. If he had played as well as Luongo did (or if Luongo played at the same level as Niemi did) we would have won the game.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The guys that sucked tonight:

Boyle, Burish, Pavelski, Thornton, Hannan, Demers (on the 1st goal only), Sheppard (lazy pass on the 1st goal), Havlat (other than the goal, a no show), Wingels

Sheppard made a bad play on that 1st goal but I thought he played very well overall, as did Havlat. Those two were creating a bunch of chances in the 3rd.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Yep. The whole play started because of a bad decision by Sheppard and was followed up with a really poor play by Demers.

Burish has had his issues but he's actually been a pretty good 4th liner in the past 3 games and considering they're playing the 12 healthy forwards that are on the roster that's all you can ask for. It's fun to have scapegoats on the team and all but they tend to get blamed regardless of what they do (or don't do) when they're on the ice when something goes wrong.

I liked Demers' idea, he just executed it poorly. The less easily they give up the blueline the better. It works better with a strong backcheck though, and there wasn't one there.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
Do you think the Ducks fans are saying the same thing about their game last night? We glided here; got outplayed there; Hiller should have had two of those; we could have gotten that extra leg on San Jose tonight.

In the end, nothing changed in the standings for us. We still have to beat Anaheim.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
Do you think the Ducks fans are saying the same thing about their game last night? We glided here; got outplayed there; Hiller should have had two of those; we could have gotten that extra leg on San Jose tonight.

In the end, nothing changed in the standings for us. We still have to beat Anaheim.

And twice mind you!

I really want the Sharks take both games but I just don't see it.

And I'll be at the April 9th game.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Fla fans saying the Sharks didn't hit multiple posts? Did they fall asleep or did i imagine all those metal pings?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad