GDT: Game 70: Columbus vs. Detroit | 3/17 7PM EDT

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Personally I'm glad to see bjorkstrand get his shot to show torts what he can do , torts needs to figure who's going to be on this team next year , and who he encourages jarmo to send packing . I imagine we will see some changes this summer . I don't understand the negativity on torts though , dude is worlds better than Richards was . Love the way he is challenging the young players to step up . Wennberg has all the tools , but he needs to fire the puck more , and torts isn't afraid to call him out in media . And I have to say that wennberg is showing offensive skills that I didn't know he had . Atkinson has flourished under torts .

Generally agree (look at youngsters, and Torts) but not sure what changes can be made really locked into a lot of multi-year contracts and not much cap room around the league.
But fully agree to test the kids to see how close they are or aren't.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The team has looked like hot garbage in the three games since Bob's return. Which is not the same as saying Bob himself has been bad (but he hasn't been really good either). But, whatever the explanation, it looks like they're playing differently in these three games.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
The team has looked like hot garbage in the three games since Bob's return. Which is not the same as saying Bob himself has been bad (but he hasn't been really good either). But, whatever the explanation, it looks like they're playing differently in these three games.

I totally agree and was trying wrap my head around it last night, when I decided it's not explainable/worth the effort.

Hey how about Wichita State !!

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus

They have looked like garbage even before Bob's return. Remember the Flyers game?

Boomshakalaka

Why do I do this?
May 1, 2014
Columbus
They look like they have all year, c mon teams bring on the back up goal tenders so we can win out and blow our draft position again. Time to call up everyone and dump this season right

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
They have looked like garbage even before Bob's return. Remember the Flyers game?

Let's see if I remember it. You mean the bad road loss sandwiched between two home wins? As opposed to three straight losses at home? That included a franchise record-setting performance for goal-scoring futility? That is the first three-game home losing streak since early/mid October? Am I thinking of the correct Flyers game?

Yeah I'm not really trying to be feisty. Obviously there has been plenty of suck to go around this season. But the team looks different these past three games.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I totally agree and was trying wrap my head around it last night, when I decided it's not explainable/worth the effort.

I've noticed it too. I think teams play different in front of rookie goaltenders than they do in front of veterans. I think they battle harder, attempt more blocks, and work to keep the team to the periphery. I think it's one of the reasons for the fact that rookie goaltenders often have impressive showings followed by lackluster sophomore seasons (that and "the book" is out on them among other things).

I think we also saw that back when Allen York got the call up a few seasons ago.

Then Bob comes back and they go back to relying on him to carry games. Let's not pretend like that hasn't been how this team has been set up for the past 3 seasons. It's been Bob and Johansen and Co. Hell, our PP hasn't changed since we traded Joey. It's still get the puck to the center at the half-wall. Now, however, that's Mr. Scared-To-Shoot instead of Johansen.

Unfortunately for our Nashville-like reliance upon our goalie:
1. Bob has been injured for extensive periods of time.
2. When healthy, he has been inconsistent.
3. You can't win if you don't. Score. A. Goal.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Let's see if I remember it. You mean the bad road loss sandwiched between two home wins? As opposed to three straight losses at home? That included a franchise record-setting performance for goal-scoring futility? That is the first three-game home losing streak since early/mid October? Am I thinking of the correct Flyers game?

Yeah I'm not really trying to be feisty. Obviously there has been plenty of suck to go around this season. But the team looks different these past three games.

They could be reacting to Bob's return or they could just be finally facing reality of not making the playoffs. Probably a bit of both.

Hartnell is stuck at 299 goals probably at least subconsciously pressing for 300. He could also be wearing down a bit.

Bob was rusty.

Pitt & Detroit playing for their playoff lives; TB for position.

last night's line-o-matic with 3 call-ups in the lineup.

This is not as good a team as most of us would like to believe.

Lots of possible reasons for the last 3 games.

And I forgot that maybe they are quitting on Torts. :sarcasm:

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus

Easy tiger lol. I wasn't being feisty either haha. I was just pointing out other than a gift game against EDM and one win against the Wings, the team has looked pretty flat this month. Having Saad get hurt and then having 3 regulars on D go away it should be expected though. Right? Playing a bunch of AHLers and 3 replacements on D what can really be expected?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Lots of possible reasons for the last 3 games.

No doubt. I attempted (and failed, I guess) to not attribute it to anything in my first post on the subject. Crede and stinger offered some possible explanation - or at least some free association - too.

I didn't. But it remains that, to me, the team looks different in the past three games.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

I think this is a combination of things:

They are playing teams that are desperate. Pittsburgh, Detroit and Tampa are playing for their playoff lives. Expect the same next week vs. the Flyers

Bob is rusty. I remember Hitch saying it takes about a month to completely regain form after a long layoff. The team may be more cautious for now with Bob in goal.

This is not a great roster. Its a middle of the pack team 6-10 in the Conference when things are going reasonably well.

Edit: Espen said pretty much the same things before I posted this and I didn't see it. Sorry

Last edited:

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
No doubt. I attempted (and failed, I guess) to not attribute it to anything in my first post on the subject. Crede and stinger offered some possible explanation - or at least some free association - too.

I didn't. But it remains that, to me, the team looks different in the past three games.

You're not wrong.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I predicted we would lose at least 6 of Bob's first 8 games back. So far on track.

But we certainly are back in the running for a top three pick again. And I would not be at all surprised if Torts uses the rest of the season to tinker with lineups and try different combos with the result being more losses. So Top Three is starting to look good again for our draft slot.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I predicted we would lose at least 6 of Bob's first 8 games back. So far on track.

But we certainly are back in the running for a top three pick again. And I would not be at all surprised if Torts uses the rest of the season to tinker with lineups and try different combos with the result being more losses. So Top Three is starting to look good again for our draft slot.

I think you meant Top Six. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad