Pre-Game Talk: Game 7. WHAT AN ORIGINAL CONCEPT

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
lets end this god dam thing on Tuesday.

i am expecting a one man wrecking crew from Matthews and hopefully marner and tavares can light the lamp as well.

and for gods sake, kill a penalty!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There's also no reason to think it's not. He has dominated the AHL. I'd take the gamble on it.
Other than the fact the guy hasn't had a sniff of NHL action 4/5 years.

How has he looked in the playoff for the Marlies?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
We are winning this. Simple as that

I am expecting a big game from Marner.
I have been very critical of Auston and he has some come through despite of having two players with tunnel visions

Kapanen should be swapped out for Moore but hey, what do I know

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
  1. I think the top power-play unit needs to play the majority of the power play. The Leafs had three power plays and their top three forwards in ice time for it were: Matthews, Kapanen, and Marleau, in that order. The Bruins went 2/2 on the power play and played a total of 2:24 in the process. Their top unit played every second. Load up and go down with your best.

1. I think the penalty kill as a whole needs to be more aggressive. They retreated and let Boston, particularly Torey Krug up top, put on a shooting gallery. Use your speed and close off lanes, but get on them. It’s way too easy for any team in the league to just set up shop and move the puck around at will, let alone a team as good on the PP as the Bruins are. You have to make them uncomfortable.
      1. I think this Patrick Marleau ice time deployment is bordering on crazy now, if not full on crazy. He played 6:03 in the third period, fourth-most among Leafs forwards. He played 3:07 on the PP, third-most among forwards. He has six shots on net and two assists in the series so far. What is possibly being seen to justify that much ice time? I mean, this isn’t rocket science at this point
      Playoff Notebook: Special teams adjustments needed as Toronto Maple Leafs approach another Game 7 in Boston

2. All on Babcock

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
  1. I think the top power-play unit needs to play the majority of the power play. The Leafs had three power plays and their top three forwards in ice time for it were: Matthews, Kapanen, and Marleau, in that order. The Bruins went 2/2 on the power play and played a total of 2:24 in the process. Their top unit played every second. Load up and go down with your best.

1. I think the penalty kill as a whole needs to be more aggressive. They retreated and let Boston, particularly Torey Krug up top, put on a shooting gallery. Use your speed and close off lanes, but get on them. It’s way too easy for any team in the league to just set up shop and move the puck around at will, let alone a team as good on the PP as the Bruins are. You have to make them uncomfortable.
      1. I think this Patrick Marleau ice time deployment is bordering on crazy now, if not full on crazy. He played 6:03 in the third period, fourth-most among Leafs forwards. He played 3:07 on the PP, third-most among forwards. He has six shots on net and two assists in the series so far. What is possibly being seen to justify that much ice time? I mean, this isn’t rocket science at this point
      Playoff Notebook: Special teams adjustments needed as Toronto Maple Leafs approach another Game 7 in Boston

2. All on Babcock
If they lose tomorrow I won't be watching any more games until there's a new coach. Had about enough of that clown.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I think we're a better team and we have shown it. I feel as confident as you can get in a one game lottery.

Main thing is Andersen has to play like he's been playing and I'm really worried about that ice which just tips the scales to the winner being an undeserving one. Matthews/Tavares lines should be over 20 minutes in this one.

Reactions: AreBe

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
lets end this god dam thing on Tuesday.

i am expecting a one man wrecking crew from Matthews and hopefully marner and tavares can light the lamp as well.

and for gods sake, kill a penalty!
SHORTEN THE BENCH. THE THIRD LINE AND PP2 IS USELESS. Pull Marner from the PK if the team is behind. They need his offense on 5x5.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
If we are trailing after the 1st we are losing. Which is quite sad considering the offensive power we have in our lineup.

If the Bruins score a PP goal against us in the 1st we are losing. There seems to be some sort of mental thing going on where a PP goal against sets us back. Why the f*** is this team so mentally weak?

I do think we can win this game, but if either of those scenarios above happen I fear our mental weakness won't allow the boys to get it done.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

2. All on Babcock

1. Super weird the part about pressure - we've employed a pressuring PK style all year. Yet yesterday we somehow switch to a contain style of PK. Why?
2. 100% behind you/everyone on the Marleau usage. The dude is trash. I wasn't initially that fond of the criticism, but over the course of the season and now into the playoffs its obvious Marleau does not add anything of substance.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Matthews appeared to be a man on a mission in the third period of Game 6.

I think he’s going to come out hard in Game 7.

Hopefully Tavares and Marner do the same.

We’ll see how much desire this core has to not be known for first round exits.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
SHORTEN THE BENCH. THE THIRD LINE AND PP2 IS USELESS. Pull Marner from the PK if the team is behind. They need his offense on 5x5.

Luckily our 4th line has been great.

shorten the bench and overload the bruins with skill.

i would love to see Nylander and Matthews back together so we could run two first lines of:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson- Matthews- Nylander

keep the 4th line of Moore-Goat-Ennis together as they have been pretty solid and run a 3rd line of Brown-Marleau- Kappy.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Leafs need to pressure the puck carrier on a penalty kill and cut off the shooting/passing lanes.

Watching them box up around the slot was painful

Reactions: AreBe and Al14

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I've got a bad feeling about game 7. After watching Freddy make amazing save after amazing save to keep to the team in it (in game 6) it just feels like that should of been our chance. I hope I'm wrong, but I cant shake the gut feeling.

For the Leafs to win, they need Freddy to be Freddy, a PP goal, and I'd love to see more Leafs drive the net. It's frustrating to watch some players have the outside edge on a D man, and they don't bother to drive the net. I think I've seen it twice in 6 game, and both were quality scoring chances.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hard to feel like yesterday wasnt our game 7. Feels like the Buds are already out. But wait. They aren’t. Really hoping for a better ending to groundhog day.

I've got good news and bad news, so which one do you want first?

OK the bad news ..

Historical odds show the favorite and home team win game #7 @ 60% of the time. So that leaves Leafs at 40% odds of winning heading in based on trending patterns based on decades of past results. :help:

The bad news the last time a Maple Leafs team won 3 road games in a playoff series was 1951 (= 68 years ago) :(.

The good news is that 1951 series was against Boston. :naughty:

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So one of the longest serving NHLers in history cant do it but a 32 year old AHLer is going to come in and make the difference

Come on.

Lmao, this board always has wacky ideas. Chris Mueller, 32 years old and 0 NHL games, for Game 7.

It’s funny that this board yells for Babcock to be fired while tossing out largely asinine suggestions of their own.

There are posters on this board who criticize and even call for Babcock to be replaced that at least have sense and reason as to why (heck, even I am at the “I wouldn’t be upset” if the coaching staff was replaced should we lose Wednesday) but it’s always funny to see the ones who claim he should be fired and then talk about all this wacky stuff.

What’s next, Vincent LoVerde to replace Jake Gardiner with Dermott?

Reactions: Warden of the North

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
So one of the longest serving NHLers in history cant do it but a 32 year old AHLer is going to come in and make the difference

Come on.
Chris Mueller is at best a marginal NHL er (Chris Mueller - Wikipedia)

Patrick Marleau needs to be on the 4th line and that he was on the ice at the end of the 3rd is puzzling but beats putting in people with all of this fighting and thrashing about in the penalty box brawn

I think the NHL/E is learning from the NBA/E, and Boston is getting away with a wee bit more but we got speed, the Leafs are faster

Leafs have to win to silence the anti- math, anti -scouting, anti- method Leafs Nation dinosaurs, and really let Dubas the Technocrat do his math based thing so that suffering Leafs fans can continue to have this hope from the age of enlightenment and that this Leafs Renascence continues with this logic and wisdom based new dawn!

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Was quite remarkable watching our 1st period momentum get sapped immediately with our 4th line taking a penalty straight after a goal.

If we score first, Babs please just restrain yourself just this once and don't put the god damn 4th line out.

Would honestly be quite remarkable if we take this series via winning 3 games in Boston.

Last edited:

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
It is hilarious that people have the guts to criticize Tavares. He's doing an amazing job on Boston's first line.

Why do people think Matthews is much better this series? All of a sudden he doesn't have to deal with their first line and top pairing anymore...
I'm not criticizing him yet because the series isn't over but if we lose I think out of all players taking heat JT should be #1. He's our number 1 C and it's his job to score. If you interviewed Gretzky or Ovechkin and they didn't score in 2 games they'll admit they aren't doing their job and need to play better because it's their job to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad