PGT: Game 7: Switzerland 2 - Canada 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don’t get all the Comtois hate for the dives. You don’t like to see guys diving but when the games on the line, you have to do what’s necessary to win. If that means selling a play to get a penalty or a face off, then so be it. It’s a smart play, if you can do something to help your team then you should be doing it.

I’ve played sports a long time, sometimes you just have to do whatever is necessary to win. This is one of those times. Drawing and selling penalties is a skill, who cares how they drew the penalty.

I recognize that this post is going to get raked across the coals but I’m not going to discredit a player for doing what you need to do to win. Embellishment or not.

If he didn't throw out the dive last night in an 8-0 game then I don't think he would be getting as much hate as he is right now for it. Two dives in two games in a row is kind of annoying and I'm sure the refs will start watching for it sooner or later. Now when something actually happens late in an important game the ref is less likely to call it because of his history so far in this tournament. It's just unnecessary against Denmark and Switzerland.

Its embarrassing for me as a Canadian to have the guy wearing the "C" for Canada diving out there like a soccer player. If he didnt have an idiotic dive with an 8 goal lead last night he wouldnt be catching heat but he did. Now hes got another blatantly obvious dive on his resume. Like Avermann11 said above, these refs will take notice and not give those calls later in the tournament when the games actually matter.

Embellishment like that is not really a Canadian hockey play and when the captain does it its embarrassing. Youre the captain of the team and youve had 2 ugly dives, needing a dive to help your team win against the Swiss is embarrassing too. How about as captain you go out there and score against the team you should be beating by 5 goals, or fire the team up more.

He actually reminds me of that embarrassing showing a few years ago now where Patrice Cormier had the C and ran aorund like an idiot and ended up getting suspended.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
DiPietro played against the weaker opponent, Ian Scott played against the stronger opponent,
Ian Scott is your starting goalie, not DiPietro.

The coach literally came out and said Dipietro is the guy theyre going with

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I don't like diving by any team, including mine. That's for football (and is very nauseating there too).

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
TSN back at it throwing up stupid stats for Canada against Switzerland all time. Yeah no **** they out score the swiss. Let’s see Canada vs swiss in football all time

...when they play soccer against each other I’m sure that stat gets brought up. 23-0 record at the WJC is a fact.

The only “football” that matters in North America is gridiron football not soccer.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
TSN back at it throwing up stupid stats for Canada against Switzerland all time. Yeah no **** they out score the swiss. Let’s see Canada vs swiss in football all time

I dont think they have played a cooperative soccer game against each other tbh

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Swiss always seem to give Canada issues at all levels, so not worried by this close 3-2 victory.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

If Canada plays the Swiss in football and gets demolished, that is precisely what they would be discussing, throwing stats up and relative team strengths. Is Canada not allowed to be better than Switzerland in a sport?

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
If he didn't throw out the dive last night in an 8-0 game then I don't think he would be getting as much hate as he is right now for it. Two dives in two games in a row is kind of annoying and I'm sure the refs will start watching for it sooner or later. Now when something actually happens late in an important game the ref is less likely to call it because of his history so far in this tournament. It's just unnecessary against Denmark and Switzerland.

The dive last night, I’ll agree was bad but the one tonight, happens all the time. You feel a push or a hand on your back and sell it. It’s not like he did some egregious act that deserves a huge punishment. He just went down easier than he should have, it is what it is.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Its embarrassing for me as a Canadian to have the guy wearing the "C" for Canada diving out there like a soccer player. If he didnt have an idiotic dive with an 8 goal lead last night he wouldnt be catching heat but he did. Now hes got another blatantly obvious dive on his resume. Like Avermann11 said above, these refs will take notice and not give those calls later in the tournament when the games actually matter.

Embellishment like that is not really a Canadian hockey play and when the captain does it its embarrassing. Youre the captain of the team and youve had 2 ugly dives, needing a dive to help your team win against the Swiss is embarrassing too. How about as captain you go out there and score against the team you should be beating by 5 goals, or fire the team up more.

He actually reminds me of that embarrassing showing a few years ago now where Patrice Cormier had the C and ran aorund like an idiot and ended up getting suspended.

It’s too bad that him wearing the C is embarrassing for you. I really don’t know how a 19 year old kid can embarrass you but to each their own.

The game isn’t what it once was, guys will dive and have no problem doing it because it helps the team. When watching it live, I didn’t think he dove but instead was cross checked and a penalty was deserving. Once seeing the replays, it’s obvious he went down easier than he should have but with all the replays and different angles, it’s easier to see these things then ever before.

How many of the beloved Canadian hockey players, that came before him dove in their careers but were never caught due to lack of resources available to people? I’m guessing a lot. As we’re all aware, the game is ever evolving. The days of guys battling and not diving (I’d tell you this has always happened) are going away, the players are changing as the game changes. As a result, we won’t see as many guys that are “tough as nails” and play like the guys from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s... it’s just where the game is headed. Embellishment is going to continue to be a big part of the game, as special teams are valued as much as ever before, guys will do what needs to be done to gain that advantage, it’s just sort of the way it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad