GDT: Game 7: Sharks @ Lightning 4:00pm NBCSCA

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Mike Grier Hockey™

It's always darkest before the dawn. I mean that's not true but it made a good movie quote.

This tank is long overdue. I would rather bite the bullet and get a good draft pick than be stuck in the mediocre 4-7 OA range. This team will be in last place come the end of the season. We may be the first team to never win a game. But we will walk away with an important piece we can actually build around. Hopefully.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
This is easily the worst Sharks team I've ever gotten to watch. Gotta feel for Quinn he took this job knowing he will have a short shelf life.

Edit: Also kind of funny that there were people who thought that Karlsson was making the team worse because of his defensive play.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
It's always darkest before the dawn. I mean that's not true but it made a good movie quote.

This tank is long overdue. I would rather bite the bullet and get a good draft pick than be stuck in the mediocre 4-7 OA range. This team will be in last place come the end of the season. We may be the first team to never win a game. But we will walk away with an important piece we can actually build around. Hopefully.
Only worry is we get stuck in a Buffalo like era of high draft picks but just constant losing

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I'm all for tanking, but boy is this historically bad and depressing tanking atm.

1.13 goals per game (Last in the league)
3.95 goals against per game (29th in the league)
3.99 expected goals against per game (31st in the league)
36.76% expected goals for (Last in the league)
19.76 High Danger Chances against per game (Last in the league)

I honestly can't wait to have all these top draft picks bust because the Sharks develop them to "play the right way" and "compete" rather than be effective and exciting players.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
I'm all for tanking, but boy is this historically bad and depressing tanking atm.

1.13 goals per game (Last in the league)
3.95 goals against per game (29th in the league)
3.99 expected goals against per game (31st in the league)
36.76% expected goals for (Last in the league)
19.76 High Danger Chances against per game (Last in the league)
If you're going to be bad, might as well be really bad so you can get a high pick. Grier has built an elite tanking team.

Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Everyone wanted to bottom out and really tank, this is what it looks like. I would take at least getting 3rd over a repeat of last year (and possibly dropping further)

Reactions: coooldude and DG93

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I love the hockey stat cards because I genuinely don't think anyone is going to top Vlasic at -7 but I check daily just in case. I don't think I've seen someone hit even -4 since I started looking

Reactions: Sandisfan

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I love the hockey stat cards because I genuinely don't think anyone is going to top Vlasic at -7 but I check daily just in case. I don't think I've seen someone hit even -4 since I started looking

apparently that was the worst single game score since 2018 or something.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
If it wasn't for Karlsson having an amazing year and dragging the sharks to a few undeserved wins (and overtimes) they would easily have been in last place. Thats the main reason I was in favor of getting rid of him sooner rather than later, he ruined our tank.
They would have easily been in last if they had any leadership whatsoever

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Mine expired right after the Jays season ended and I decided to re-subscribe so I could watch the Sharks this season. Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in

The nice thing is that if the Sharks start letting me down, the center-ice-ish tier of Sportsnet+ apparently comes with some amount of access to WWE Network. Maybe watching scripted fake fights where I can take solace in how things are meant to go a specific way with purpose and intent will take my mind off the fact that the Sharks are failing in spite of themselves (tank-tastic roster construction aside). Plus I haven't watched pro wrestling with any regularity in like 20 years so maybe it'll be like transporting me back to being an ironically cynical and jaded teenager instead of a legitimately cynical bitter and broken adult.

• Haha
Reactions: Tw1ster

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
When Couture and/or Granlund gets healthy I'm sure Eklund will play on their wing. You could argue he should be playing with Hertl right now but they didn't seem to have much chemistry at the end of last season. Eklund has already been promoted to the first power play unit. It's only a matter of time until he gets a bigger role at even strength as well.
Eklund is the real deal.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The Sharks WERE last last year, the NHL just has the nonsense point system that rewards some kind of losses but not others, we were last in wins

And THEN we subtracted Karlsson and Meier and added no one of substantial value, of course we are the worst in the league, the worst team got worse in the offseason

I just didn't necessarily expect us to be HISTORICALLY bad, I think we'll challenge pre-cap era records of futility at this rate

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
SNOG announcement

At least the SNOG crew is doing well.

SNOG
Sharks 0
Tampa Bay 6

Congrats @Red Light Lover on your first SNOG of the season!

SNOG 2022-10-15 Red Light Lover.jpg

#
Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Oct. 12 vs Golden KnightsNewMuzu24, weastern biasVGK 4-1
2Oct. 14 vs AvalanchenoneAvs 2-1 SO
3Oct. 17 vs HurricanesTheBeardCanes 6-3
4Oct. 19 vs BruinsnoneBruins 3-1
5Oct. 21 at PredatorsnonePredators 5-1
6Oct. 24 at Panthersweastern biasPanthers 3-1
7Oct. 26 at LightningRed Light LoverLightning 6-0