Post-Game Talk: GAME 7... of the regular season: Canucks 1 @ Jets 4 | 7GP, 7 cities, 4-3-0

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
End of road trip and the team couldn't sustain effort in the third. Problem we figured would be there (and especially now without Pettersson) that we couldn't score enough seemed evident tonight. Just not going to be able to hang in games by trying to keep down chances against and such. Must get some scoring from some place.

Good

Horvat - nice goal and really only player that was doing much off the rush.

Pouliot - may have me eating my words. Lot quicker in making the play and not bad defensively. Consistently getting big minutes and consistently making the right play out of the zone.

Edler - was very strong in the first two periods and overall our best defenseman. Penalty against him in the third, which lead to the dam breaking, was crap.

Bad

Boeser - fumbled around with the puck badly and made numerous poor passes. (some of which put the team in a terrible position) Lack of conditioning or whatever has hurt all aspects of his game. Throughout much of the game was the worst forward.

Virtanen - so many poor decisions. Got aimless in his own zone and lost total track of positioning and check. Lots of tentative passes which put teammates in a bad position. When he gets tired the first thing to go with Virtanen is the mind. Telegraphs what he is going to do with the puck leading to breakouts for the other team.

Others

Goldobin - team has to pray he can getting it going offensively. Times where he will make a clever play and you get some hope. But way too much with the extra move or the extra look which causes him to lose the puck or get tied up in traffic. Has to process things quicker and then be more intense in completing the play. If he doesn't produce goals then he is too deficient elsewhere to be a positive.

Granlund - his line with Schaller and Motte started very well and hemmed up the Jeats in the Jets end. However, faded badly and got pushed back into their crease in the third. Granlund couldn't win face offs (especially critical ones in his zone). This line can be effective in getting some o-zone time but you have to wonder how they will ever score.

Gubranson - I was thinking Gudbranson was continuing a period of strong play until the collapse in the third. However, he was far from the lone culprit on those goals. Blaming Gudbranson for the loss is simplistic and ridiculous. Both Hutton and the forwards were even more at fault and players were open all over the ice. Gudbranson tried to do too much but at least he wasn't standing around.

Hutton - think he is playing better. Again breakdown in the third had more to do with the inability of the forwards to get the puck out along the boards or keep their check out of the play. Hutton, was good for much of the game and is much better at moving the puck and getting up the ice to support the play. This contrasts with his play last year where he passed the puck and then just stopped and watched the pass. Also better at fighting thru checks. Hutton still has problems when reacting to break-downs in his own end leading to the kind of goal mouth scrambles and confusion that occurred in the third.

Baertschi - running out of gas seemed most apparent with him

Roussel - thought he was better than decent and he made the right play for most of the game. Has played pretty well so far

Gaudette - couple of ok shifts but l mostly looked like a rookie who getting thru the perimeter of the defense. Has some raw talent and we will see what Green is able to do with it.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
guddy-giveaway.gif

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

How is this guy in the NHL?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
On 650's postgame show, a caller from Sweden said a recent article on a Swedish web site reported that Ericksson's family still wasn't really settled in Vancouver, and he was planning on ending his career in Sweden. I make no claim about the reliability of that report, but I found it interesting (the caller was responding to a question -- didn't at all seem like he had an agenda).

If it's true, I wonder if there's any chance of Ericksson and the Canucks mutually agreeing to terminate his contract. He's collected most of his bonuses now, I believe.
That would be a hell out of a get out of jail free card.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Towards the end of his tenure here, he started to get exposed pretty badly defensively. Still a favourite of mine, and some people saw red about it more than others, but it did happen.

Towards the end of his tenure? LOL bieksa was a tire fire most of his career. Hamhuis settled him down for a bit but thats about it.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Ericksson with just over 12 minutes of ice time tonight. With Green seemingly set with Sutter, Schaller, Granlund and Motte as his penalty killers moving forward where the hell does this guy fit on the team?

Barely noticeable on the power play, what does he actually contribute? How much longer can Green give this guy a pass?

He's just another warm body that really accomplishes little.........not sure how much longer he will remain in the lineup? Sure he will be injured soon enough, as the wheel turns.

Really liked what I see from Morrissey. Every time I see him play (not that often) I come away impressed with his game. Has great hockey sense, offensive instincts and his ability to transition the puck is very smooth. Man, the Jets grabbed the 2nd best defenseman of the 2013 draft 13th overall, props.

I don't know who wrote it but there was an article where someone stated to get Eriksson going, you had to put him as net front presence because this was the role he had on his most successful seasons, mostly in Dallas.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
Well, y'know, Defensemen Take Longer to Develop, and he's only....

(turns page)

twenty-six and a half?!

22B.gif
Yes but it’ll be worth it in the long run. He’ll finally figure it out when he’s 36, and then you better watch out.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Gubranson - I was thinking Gudbranson was continuing a period of strong play until the collapse in the third. However, he was far from the lone culprit on those goals. Blaming Gudbranson for the loss is simplistic and ridiculous. Both Hutton and the forwards were even more at fault and players were open all over the ice. Gudbranson tried to do too much but at least he wasn't standing around.

- Gudbranson is just awful. On the ice for all 4 goals and didn't look good on 3 of them. The 3-1 goal was just embarrassing - runs out of position to throw a dumb hit, fails to eliminate the player who then out-hustles him back to the front of the net to score. Brutal.

Missed this game. The reviews on Gudbranson are confusing. Was he good or bad? These opinions are opposed.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't know who wrote it but there was an article where someone stated to get Eriksson going, you had to put him as net front presence because this was the role he had on his most successful seasons, mostly in Dallas.

I wrote something about this.

He feasted on PPs that generated a ton of rebounds. Last time he was the one driving the offense on his line was with Dallas.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
If Gudbranson cost us nothing in assets, made a reasonable salary, and was named Andrew Alberts. I don't think people would criticize him at all.

Good game. This team is going to be very hard pressed to win without basically elite goaltending on a nightly basis.

Well, except for the part about putting down team mates for not standing up for each other on the ice while he was conveniently unable to take to the ice, then not standing up for a team mate when he was on the ice.

I think he would still get criticism for that.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Good effort but ran out of gas in the third, not to be totally unexpected at the end of a 6 game road trip playing a far superior team and one of the best in the league. I thought they more than held their own physically but this was the game where you really miss Pettersson or another real top end offensive player. A second goal in the first two periods might not have changed the eventual outcome but heading into the third working to hold onto a lead at the end of long trip is a lot different than trying to eek one out.

Overall, no complaints considering where the team is at and the effort level.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Missed this game. The reviews on Gudbranson are confusing. Was he good or bad? These opinions are opposed.

Because orcatown’s breakdown considers Gudbranson’s game overall and MS decided to only focus on a couple bad shifts.

They saw the same game and would agree on how things happened on a play by play basis. The difference is at the end of the game MS will choose to focus on what validates his own previously stated opinions and Orcatown will just tell you what he saw all game.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I’d go with orcatown. He calls it like he sees it without the usual bias and qualifications that MS has whenever he critiques someone that he obviously dislikes.
I’d say Gudbranson was not faultless but certainly not the only to blame for the breakdowns.
He made some nice and efficient plays as well.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I wrote something about this.

He feasted on PPs that generated a ton of rebounds. Last time he was the one driving the offense on his line was with Dallas.

They should try Eriksson on the first PP unit instead of Goldobin, hopefully that gets him going. We have too many smallish forwards on the PP (Goldobin, Baertchi) and lose possession quite easily.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
They should try Eriksson on the first PP unit instead of Goldobin, hopefully that gets him going. We have too many smallish forwards on the PP (Goldobin, Baertchi) and lose possession quite easily.
Offensive plays die on Erikssons stick right now tho, not to mention Edler

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Yes but it’ll be worth it in the long run. He’ll finally figure it out when he’s 36, and then you better watch out.

Canucks can develop him until he's 36 and then Benning can trade him for a draft pick Tyler Motte's younger cousin

Reactions: Peter10

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Ericksson with just over 12 minutes of ice time tonight. With Green seemingly set with Sutter, Schaller, Granlund and Motte as his penalty killers moving forward where the hell does this guy fit on the team?

Barely noticeable on the power play, what does he actually contribute? How much longer can Green give this guy a pass?

He's just another warm body that really accomplishes little.........not sure how much longer he will remain in the lineup? Sure he will be injured soon enough, as the wheel turns.

Really liked what I see from Morrissey. Every time I see him play (not that often) I come away impressed with his game. Has great hockey sense, offensive instincts and his ability to transition the puck is very smooth. Man, the Jets grabbed the 2nd best defenseman of the 2013 draft 13th overall, props.

Hard to argue, but I thought him and Goldy were a great fit with EP.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
It’s amazing how much better Pouliot looks when he’s not with Gud
Went from terrible to useful
I'd more go with from hot garbage to trash. Maybe that's a little harsh but I still don't like him at all. I will give credit though on the breakout pass to Bo was sweet. And agree he has looked better away from Gudbrandson.

And that settles it.

Fortnite is key.

I was totally hoping he'd bust out a Fortnite dance when he scored. And I HATE the game.

Reading between the lines:

"Our identity is that our GM can't put a half decent roster so we have to give 110% every game to make up for the handicap we go into every game with. Gotta be relentless to make up for being talentless."

All in all was a good road trip. Going into Tampa and Pittsburgh with wins was great and they were in every game until the 3rd period. Along with missing their best player in EP for 2 games for this team with such low expectations it's a major success. You could tell they were out of gas for this one though. They competed really hard for about 20 minutes, the first 10 of the 1st and the last 10 of the 2nd. But eventually the Jets superior skill and the Canucks not out working them and it caught up. Can't overly fault Nilson for giving up 4 either, Gudbrandson left him out to try multiple times and if he has to play like he did in Tampa to win, this team won't win many games.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Canucks can develop him until he's 36 and then Benning can trade him for a draft pick Tyler Motte's younger cousin
Jeff or Chauncey? Both have AHL potential

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad