Post-Game Talk: GAME 7... of the regular season: Canucks 1 @ Jets 4 | 7GP, 7 cities, 4-3-0

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I honestly don't see where the hate for Gudbranson comes from this game. Before him it was Sbisa, and Bieksa before that. We want our big/physical D to do everything and if theyre out of position hitting someone, which is what we complain about the rest of our D for not doing, theyre not doing their job. If they fight someone they shouldn't have, if they don't fight someone, than they clearly should have. He got beat once or twice, but that's no worse then any other guy on the ice tonight. No one seems to mind when Horvat or Boeser or Edler or Tanev are beaten, it's just part of the game then.
But he is useless when he tries to play defense and rarely delivers the hits...and he he is paid too much...and they re-upped him.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Bieksa was a good player and then got old. At that point he was getting beat and his physicality was useless and causing him to be out of position.

Tryamkin was a good physical defenseman who had great positional play and gap control, and would lay big hits at the right time.

Sbisa and Gudbranson sucked

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Exactly. Good post.

Gudbranson =

too_much.gif

Yes. That who you think it is and she a total failure.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Solid effort for their last road game against a very good team. The power play looks like sh*t without EP. Someone please take Edler off the first PP unit.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Solid effort against a team that effectively ended most of our games against them quite early last season. Also nice to finally get a goal on Hellebuluculucthululuck.

Pretty good road trip. Hopefully Nilsson can sustain his play beyond the first month of the season. He was certainly a big factor in a few wins, and he was as good as he could have been again this evening.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Decent road game but were eventually overwhelmed by a much better team. All in all a good road trip where the team competed well.

- Gudbranson is just awful. On the ice for all 4 goals and didn't look good on 3 of them. The 3-1 goal was just embarrassing - runs out of position to throw a dumb hit, fails to eliminate the player who then out-hustles him back to the front of the net to score. Brutal.

- Edler and Tanev had a few sloppy moments but were generally very good against Winnipeg's huge and dangerous high-end forwards.

- Pouliot is playing well right now. Games since his horrible performance in TB have been his best defensive efforts as a Canuck. Stecher battled hard again and that pairing held their own.

- Horvat scored his once-every-20-games dangle goal which will encourage another 20 games of selfish dangling instead of tightening up his fundamental play offensively and competing harder down low.

- Boeser got some chances but looked not great again. Baertschi looked slooooooooow tonight.

- Gaudette looked decent at both ends of the rink and is unnecessarily being over-sheltered.

- Goldobin had lots of jump tonight but lousy execution.

- checkers mainly checked well.

- Nilsson was solid. 2-1 goal was a little ehhh but otherwise looked very good.

- Brandon Tanev has turned into a hell of a nice player for Winnipeg. Was probably their best overall forward tonight.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Ericksson with just over 12 minutes of ice time tonight. With Green seemingly set with Sutter, Schaller, Granlund and Motte as his penalty killers moving forward where the hell does this guy fit on the team?

Barely noticeable on the power play, what does he actually contribute? How much longer can Green give this guy a pass?

He's just another warm body that really accomplishes little.........not sure how much longer he will remain in the lineup? Sure he will be injured soon enough, as the wheel turns.

Really liked what I see from Morrissey. Every time I see him play (not that often) I come away impressed with his game. Has great hockey sense, offensive instincts and his ability to transition the puck is very smooth. Man, the Jets grabbed the 2nd best defenseman of the 2013 draft 13th overall, props.

Reactions: Nomobo

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I think this game exemplified why this team can't have long term success this year. The Canucks needs to be running close to 100% effort and focus to compete with teams that are running at 70%. When good and great teams elevate their play the Canucks cannot match, the only thing they can hope for is hot goaltender.

Early in the season the boys will be able to catch teams off guard and out work them some nights but as it goes into december and beyond the other teams will eventually come around and will just run over this group. I credit Green for getting them motivated to play most nights but the overall depth and talent is not there.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I think this game exemplified why this team can't have long term success this year. The Canucks needs to be running close to 100% effort and focus to compete with teams that are running at 70%. When good and great teams elevate their play the Canucks cannot match, the only thing they can hope for is hot goaltender.

Early in the season the boys will be able to catch teams off guard and out work them some nights but as it goes into december and beyond the other teams will eventually come around and will just run over this group. I credit Green for getting them motivated to play most nights but the overall depth and talent is not there.
What’s not helping Is Boesser not playing as well as last season. Get him and EP back and all of a sudden it doesn’t look so bleak. Encouraged by the play of our D and goaltending.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I honestly don't see where the hate for Gudbranson comes from this game. Before him it was Sbisa, and Bieksa before that. We want our big/physical D to do everything and if theyre out of position hitting someone, which is what we complain about the rest of our D for not doing, theyre not doing their job. If they fight someone they shouldn't have, if they don't fight someone, than they clearly should have. He got beat once or twice, but that's no worse then any other guy on the ice tonight. No one seems to mind when Horvat or Boeser or Edler or Tanev are beaten, it's just part of the game then.

Not quite sure why you included Bieksa. He rocked.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin and PM

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

He hit someone and the guy he hit and was between him and the net/puck, then somehow ended up in the middle of nowhere while the guy he hit (not even like a big hit) ended up wide open for the backdoor play.

Hutton cost us on the Byfuglien goal as well, but this is par for the course for Gudbranson. If Gudbranson can't figure out when is a good time to hit a guy, and how to get back in the play before the guy he hit, then his physicality is useless.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Ericksson with just over 12 minutes of ice time tonight. With Green seemingly set with Sutter, Schaller, Granlund and Motte as his penalty killers moving forward where the hell does this guy fit on the team?

Barely noticeable on the power play, what does he actually contribute? How much longer can Green give this guy a pass?

He's just another warm body that really accomplishes little.........not sure how much longer he will remain in the lineup? Sure he will be injured soon enough, as the wheel turns.

Really liked what I see from Morrissey. Every time I see him play (not that often) I come away impressed with his game. Has great hockey sense, offensive instincts and his ability to transition the puck is very smooth. Man, the Jets grabbed the 2nd best defenseman of the 2013 draft 13th overall, props.

On 650's postgame show, a caller from Sweden said a recent article on a Swedish web site reported that Ericksson's family still wasn't really settled in Vancouver, and he was planning on ending his career in Sweden. I make no claim about the reliability of that report, but I found it interesting (the caller was responding to a question -- didn't at all seem like he had an agenda).

If it's true, I wonder if there's any chance of Ericksson and the Canucks mutually agreeing to terminate his contract. He's collected most of his bonuses now, I believe.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad