Post-Game Talk: Game 7 loss in OT - END of an ERA

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It's not about liking, that's childish.

Malkin is temperamental, injury prone and his decline is obvious to many here.

Yet you think we should build around him now? At the ripe age of 35? Really???

Sorry buddy. He's not that special at this point in his career. Sucks but it is what it is.

he is an all-timer, but after the last knee injury how many times have seen *that* malkin. if he had anything left to give and didn't then I don't want him back, if (more likely) this is the best he can do in game 7 then I only want him back paying him for that level of performance. Plain and simple. I really like geno, i loved his time on the team but if he's looking for 7M+ he's just not worth it. He was in circle the airport geno mode tonight for long stretches. Now, did kapanen drag him down that much? Or was Kapanen drug down by geno? who knows. but neither did us much in the way of favors tonight. It was totally clear that Rakell was not on his game either, but he gets a pass coming back from (another) ranger head shot that Parros thought was totally a fine hockey play. (shocker that an all-time goon doesn't think a play is dirty)

This one hurts even more then last season. But both times I think this team was poised to do some damage, out played the other team by a wide margin, but yet lost. Mostly due to our goal tending once again. Heck our swoon as we went into the playoffs cost us home advantage. Anyone who doesn't think that matters should go consult Igor's save percentage in this series at home and away.

I do think we could've beat the hurricanes, that if we would've gotten the first round monkey off our back and Jarry's foot could get better, etc, etc. I think we could take them, but we'll never know...

Geno deserves the benefit of the doubt. Geno deserves the same respect Crosby has been granted his entire time with this organization. This team has two franchise icons, not just one. This era has been the Crosby-Malkin era, not just the Crosby era. What everyone seems to believe is that 71 is closer to 58 than 87. That is nonsense. Malkin should go down as one of the greatest to ever play the game, along with Crosby.

Perhaps it takes him a little longer coming back from such a serious knee injury. Why not give him that benefit of the doubt? Who is better than Geno to spend money on this summer?

Malkin was clearly not at his best since returning from the knee injury, and yet he remained a point-per-game player for us. He struggled in the playoffs to the tune of six point in seven games. Are you guys REALLY ready to give up that kind of production because of what is perceived to be his decline?

Malkin will be 36 next season. Joe Pavelski at age 37 just finished an 81-point regular season. Malkin is twice the player Joe Pavelski is and is actually two years younger.

Simply put, you do not let players like Evgeni Malkin walk. You do not. You keep him, build around him and Crosby and bring in as much youth as is ready down on the farm. Fill in the missing pieces with smart trades and free agents.

Oh yeah, and we need a new coach. Every day that a change is not made is NOT a great day for hockey.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
He is by no means a bust but his stock was falling a bit even before he hit the AHL and he didn't exactly light it up in WB/S his rookie season. It would be foolish to say he's nothing special without more time and development but so far his contributions have indicated nothing special.

He has a future as an NHL player I'm fairly certain. But as a top six C/W? Maybe doubtful.

I think there are at least three guys ahead of him right now if it comes to strictly NHL readiness.
My thought was if the cap is going to be an issue, filling out some of the bottom 6 with skilled prospects would be great if possible

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
My thought was if the cap is going to be an issue, filling out some of the bottom 6 with skilled prospects would be great if possible

I would absolutely do that regardless.

The team needs some young legs and cheap contracts in their bottom six. The farm isn't exactly brimming with surefire superstars but there are at least a handful of guys that I'm confident could do the job just as well as overpaid FA vet types.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
There is no reason why Zohorna and O'Connor cannot be bottom-six wingers on this team next season. What do they have left to prove?

The problem is if we keep the current head coach, the next Brian Boyle is just around the corner.

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
I thought this was a great moment, much respect to the Pens and Sid and the fans, Sid and the Penguins specifically have definitely been a huge factor in the Rangers not winning more Stanley Cups going back to the 1990-92 seasons and again in 1996, crushing losses with what could have been another Stanley Cup Run for the Rangers especially in 92, I remember as a really young kid seeing Mario Lemiuex and Jagr just torture Mike Richter and score 3-4 goals each on the Rangers back in those days. Rangers would have easily won the Cup if they beat the Pens that series but the Pens turned the tide on that Ron Francis goal and won the series. Anyway, you guys have nothing to feel bad about, you have had a great fruitful succesful run that has lasted a long time and gave you so many great memories, please appreciate that, and appreciate the players and remember them. Here is Trouba and Sid shaking hands, looks like no hard feelings, very respectful and classy by both guys.

1652835509007.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaosAgent

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Geno deserves the benefit of the doubt. Geno deserves the same respect Crosby has been granted his entire time with this organization. This team has two franchise icons, not just one. This era has been the Crosby-Malkin era, not just the Crosby era. What everyone seems to believe is that 71 is closer to 58 than 87. That is nonsense. Malkin should go down as one of the greatest to ever play the game, along with Crosby.

Perhaps it takes him a little longer coming back from such a serious knee injury. Why not give him that benefit of the doubt? Who is better than Geno to spend money on this summer?

Malkin was clearly not at his best since returning from the knee injury, and yet he remained a point-per-game player for us. He struggled in the playoffs to the tune of six point in seven games. Are you guys REALLY ready to give up that kind of production because of what is perceived to be his decline?

Malkin will be 36 next season. Joe Pavelski at age 37 just finished an 81-point regular season. Malkin is twice the player Joe Pavelski is and is actually two years younger.

Simply put, you do not let players like Evgeni Malkin walk. You do not. You keep him, build around him and Crosby and bring in as much youth as is ready down on the farm. Fill in the missing pieces with smart trades and free agents.

Oh yeah, and we need a new coach. Every day that a change is not made is NOT a great day for hockey.
You absolutely let Malkin walk. He’s going to be 36, not 26 & he doesn’t adjust his game accordingly. He was horrible 5 on 5. This team needs to turn the page. It’s clear it can’t compete as evidenced by 4 straight first round exits. Enough of this playing to the past nonsense. The logo is paramount. Rebuild the team.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You absolutely let Malkin walk. He’s going to be 36, not 26 & he doesn’t adjust his game accordingly. He was horrible 5 on 5. This team needs to turn the page. It’s clear it can’t compete as evidenced by 4 straight first round exits. Enough of this playing to the past nonsense. The logo is paramount. Rebuild the team.
lol

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean. I agree with him. The logo is paramount. That’s why you don’t let a generational talent and world class 3-time champion walk so you can sign Kadri or Trochek. Nice enough players but they aren’t Malkin.
The logo only has meaning because of the guys who play for it, though. That's the thing. This comes up every so often and it's crazy to me how many people want to cheapen the logo because they dislike a player or two or they want the org to do things the way every other organization does just to be like the rest.

I don't have much hope for the new owners keeping the team special, but it'd be nice if we could still hold on to the qualities that make the Pens special and unique instead of turning them into Fenway Sport Property Franchise #3.

Like nobody says they only root for the logo and then they rock an Ab McDonald jersey or are really big fans of Edie J. DiBartolo

Last edited:

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I mean. I agree with him. The logo is paramount. That’s why you don’t let a generational talent and world class 3-time champion walk so you can sign Kadri or Trochek. Nice enough players but they aren’t Malkin.
Malkin is no longer a generational player nor has he been for the past few seasons. He's not even in the Top 4 currently on the roster (Sid, Letang, Guentzel, & Rust are all better players currently). You don't pay players based on what they did, but on what they can do moving forward. Malkin isn't aging gracefully & its very clear his skill set is rapidly deteriorating. If we have a chance at Trochek, you absolutely go after him. He's the better player going forward (I'm not a huge Kadri fan, so we can pass on him). This notion that we have to ensure all the core players retire here has to stop. The team needs to turn the page so it can move forward. It was a mistake giving Carter that extension, it would be a bigger one giving Malkin another contract unless it was under $4million for about 2 years.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
The logo only has meaning because of the guys who play for it, though. That's the thing. This comes up every so often and it's crazy to me how many people want to cheapen the logo because they dislike a player or two or they want the org to do things the way every other organization does just to be like the rest.

I don't have much hope for the new owners keeping the team special, but it'd be nice if we could still hold on to the qualities that make the Pens special and unique instead of turning them into Fenway Sport Property Franchise #3.

Like nobody says they only root for the logo and then they rock an Ab McDonald jersey or are really big fans of Edie J. DiBartolo
The logo has meaning because of the organizational excellence tied to it & this history behind the franchise. Holding on to over-the-hill players based on past glory is absurd beyond belief. Ever wonder why the team became known as a "country club" after the '91 & '92 Cups? It was because guys became too comfortable & the standard lost its edge. Those players were given career achievement award contracts & it was reflected by play on the ice.

Teams stay special (whatever that even means) because they have solid people in place in the front office who create a winning standard regardless of who wears the logo. I bet you most younger fans today have no idea who Ulf Samuelsson, Paul Coffey, Kevin Stevens, Bryan Trottier, & Larry Murphy are despite the fact those guys are franchise legends. Times change, new icons are created, & its time to turn the page. FSG is well positioned to do just that just as they have done for both the Red Sox & Liverpool.

Lol, Rust?

Bwahahahahahahahaha

Bwahahahahahahahaha
yes, Rust. See what interest he generates on the open market.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Rust, who has not played a full season EVER in his career. That Rust?

The logo has meaning because of the organizational excellence tied to it & this history behind the franchise. Holding on to over-the-hill players based on past glory is absurd beyond belief. Ever wonder why the team became known as a "country club" after the '91 & '92 Cups? It was because guys became too comfortable & the standard lost its edge. Those players were given career achievement award contracts & it was reflected by play on the ice.
I can tell you're such a team historian that you clearly know that the team only sprang into existence because of 1991.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Rust, who has not played a full season EVER in his career. That Rust?

I can tell you're such a team historian that you clearly know that the team only sprang into existence because of 1991.
Yes, that Rust. The guy who is way ahead of Malkin right now.

Ok, you want history....how about we talk about guys like Michel Briere? How about Rick Kehoe, Pete Lee, Doug Shedden, or Ron Stackhouse? Maybe even the Century Line. Or how about Battleship Kelly?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010

So this is a business. We have a Cap. It doesn't make sense to pay him like a top player in the league if he's not. The regular season is fun and all, and is important, but I want players who can step it up in the playoffs and produce. Malkin is making noises that he wants to stay and money is not the biggest consideration, but in the same breath he also said that if he plays somewhere else next season is his fine with that. So who knows what he's really thinking.

If he wants 9.5M again, you politely thank him for his time as a penguin and show him the door. If he wants 7M and down for a couple of years (to match up with when Sid's contract is up) then fine. Personally I think a hometown discount is more in line with 6M/year and would be willing to to do 6M x 3 knowing full well that last year is likely to be dead money.

I will say it again. We NEED better goal tending. We had a ridiculous set of circumstances but once again we are bounced out of the playoffs where our expected GF% was better then our 2016 run!!!! we were a buzz saw in 2016. I'm even ok with trading Jarry and Desmith away if we think we can improve the position. Jarry was great at times and sure he was hurt in game 7. But in the it's a cruel world vein, he was really just ok. Wasn't bad (at all) but I still think 2 of those goals that went in on him don't go in on Igor (game 7 version that is). Nor do they go in any playoff goalie that is playing really well. once again I know he was hurt and had not seen action in a month. But if management is thinking they want to push one more time for a playoff push they have to address this postion. It's a cryin shame that Lindberg was hurt. I think he has some promise but too early to really know.

Reactions: Zbynek and Andy99

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So people are convinced that Malkin is done? People are talking like he and Joe Thornton are at the same stage of their careers. C'mon.

Perhaps if he played in a system that was a bit more offensive-player-friendly, his return to past numbers would be easier to achieve? Perhaps.

All I know is that he is absolutely worth the cost of finding out whether he can get back to that level.

He is Ovechkin's age and Ovi is still a dominant player. Malkin, when healthy, is at the same level. So, you take the educated and calculated risk and you bring him back.

Reactions: Zbynek and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So this is a business. We have a Cap. It doesn't make sense to pay him like a top player in the league if he's not. The regular season is fun and all, and is important, but I want players who can step it up in the playoffs and produce. Malkin is making noises that he wants to stay and money is not the biggest consideration, but in the same breath he also said that if he plays somewhere else next season is his fine with that. So who knows what he's really thinking.

If he wants 9.5M again, you politely thank him for his time as a penguin and show him the door. If he wants 7M and down for a couple of years (to match up with when Sid's contract is up) then fine. Personally I think a hometown discount is more in line with 6M/year and would be willing to to do 6M x 3 knowing full well that last year is likely to be dead money.

I will say it again. We NEED better goal tending. We had a ridiculous set of circumstances but once again we are bounced out of the playoffs where our expected GF% was better then our 2016 run!!!! we were a buzz saw in 2016. I'm even ok with trading Jarry and Desmith away if we think we can improve the position. Jarry was great at times and sure he was hurt in game 7. But in the it's a cruel world vein, he was really just ok. Wasn't bad (at all) but I still think 2 of those goals that went in on him don't go in on Igor (game 7 version that is). Nor do they go in any playoff goalie that is playing really well. once again I know he was hurt and had not seen action in a month. But if management is thinking they want to push one more time for a playoff push they have to address this postion. It's a cryin shame that Lindberg was hurt. I think he has some promise but too early to really know.
as I’ve said before, most important position to getting better playoff is goaltender…doesn’t matter If we sign or don’t sign our FAs if we’re not going to get at least .920 save % in the playoffs..Pens should spend cap money on a 1B goalie if they seriously want to contend…

Reactions: vikingGoalie

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
So people are convinced that Malkin is done? People are talking like he and Joe Thornton are at the same stage of their careers. C'mon.

Perhaps if he played in a system that was a bit more offensive-player-friendly, his return to past numbers would be easier to achieve? Perhaps.

All I know is that he is absolutely worth the cost of finding out whether he can get back to that level.

He is Ovechkin's age and Ovi is still a dominant player. Malkin, when healthy, is at the same level. So, you take the educated and calculated risk and you bring him back.
Malkin is done. The eye test confirms it. He's declined. The problem is, he won't adjust his game to match his current skill set. If he evolved his game along the lines of a Bryan Trottier, that would be one thing. But he still thinks he can do the same things he did at age 25. That's why the decline is so noticeable. Even Robby Brown adjusted his game when it was apparent he wasn't going to score 49 goals again.

You are comparing him to Ovechkin. Here's the thing, Ovechkin has always been a goal scorer & can still do it with regularity. Here's another....Ovechkin is a wing, Malkin is a center. Those positions are drastically different, so it's not really a good comparison to make. Ovechkin can sit along the half-wall & fire pucks on net all day & become a power point specialist. Malkin's responsibilities include zone entry & backing the opposing defenders off. He has been horrendous doing this. In the past, he could make up for it with speed & quickness. Now, he has lost a step & those little gaffes & turnovers in neutral zone are resulting in odd man breaks the other way.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I've been thinking about what the one Rangers fan said on here, that the difference maker in the series was goaltending.

He is right. Come to think of it, during the Jarry era, we have had ZERO playoff wins where our goalie stole the game. And you honestly need those steals to win the Cup. You need about one of them every series. I'm not saying the series loss is on Jarry, but I am saying we needed a shutdown performance from him in his Game 7 return and we didn't get it.

The window may have passed to get another #1 goalie, we definitely should have done this 1 year ago. And looking at the free agents there's nothing that really intrigues me. But maybe a trade could be worked.

Jarry's contract is up at the end of '22/'23 so it's time to get ahead of schedule and plan for the next thing.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

100%, and I really hope there are ongoing discussions with Trotz right now. The timing makes too much sense...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad